John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl August 30 and 31, 2013

scallenger

Went this evening. One thing I found interesting was that there was added music to the opening of Raiders. In the film, after Jones dives out of the Idol Temple the music stops until he starts running away from Belloq and the Hovitos. In the sequence tonight though there was music when Jones handed his pistol over to Belloq, etc.

Just curious - was this added for tonight or music that was simply not used in the film? Anyone know?

Loved the concert. Wished he had done the Raiders truck chase, music to movie accompaniment. But I loved what happened. All very nice.

And yes, he did say that, maybe "next time we meet" there will be music from the new Star Wars for him to play. YESSSSSS.

Yeah I'm not sure on the added music in Raiders (I went the previous night), still waiting on my friend to upload the video of it if he recorded (I'm about to go to bed now though). I agree that he should have chosen some other fast-paced scene from the film to score live to, but hey. Glad you had a good time!

What were your encores? I am wondering if they were the same.

Encores were Imperial March, Yoda, and E.T. theme. I think those are what were reported the night before too. So very cool. Took my fiance who was thinking, "yeah, this is a guy nerd thing," and she had a blast.

She had never seen THE MAN before.

Ugh, I don't really like this new version. It's just a patchwork of other cues from the saga, very awkwardly stitched together. I guess he needed a cue that contrasted Yoda's theme with Vader's so the video would make sense. And the best parts of the original cue are gone.

This is the arrangement he did as a kind of 'mini-overture' for the beginning of Part 2 of the Star Wars In Concert suite.

Yeah that makes me mad! LOL. :(

Btw, all the videos my friend did are apparently all up, and posted in the earlier post. His camera kept malfunctioning so those were all he got. I notice on the main page of JWFAN there are additional videos linked that feature the music my friend was not able to capture.

And the encores were indeed the same for both nights.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't we be surprised if we learn he's adept at using Youtube?

I doubt it. Didn't he say in that fairly recent interview that he was completely "antedeluvian" to the extent that his wife forced him to even have a cell phone?

I doubt it. Didn't he say in that fairly recent interview that he was completely "antedeluvian" to the extent that his wife forced him to even have a cell phone?

He said he doesn't have an iPod, but his wife just made him get a cell phone for the car

He said he doesn't have an iPod, but his wife just made him get a cell phone for the car

His reaction in that Brian Williams interview was wonderfully endearing when he was asked if he has all the modern gizmos and he told that his wife had made him to get a cell phone in case of emergencies. He is really a man of the old world in his low tech life style. :)