Hayao Miyazaki Retires From Feature Directing

BloodBoal

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh man, I just saw this / heard about the project right now.  Watched the trailer.  I'm interested!

If you're talking about the Caterpillar short film, you won't be able to see it, unless you go to Japan to the Ghibli Museum.

(or unless a cam version leaks)

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

An actual update on "How Do You Live?"!

Google translate of the relevant part:

'The first is that the production of the new feature-length anime directed by the founder, Hayao Miyazaki, which is said to be "this is the last time",
has progressed very smoothly without losing to his corona, and it seems that it is nearing completion. Almost there.'

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Looking SO forward to this! If only it played in theaters here, but alas... They don't bring anime.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I thought the new film would premiere in Cannes?

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/press/press-releases/the-films-of-the-official-selection-2023

It doesn't seem to be included...

What? It's right there if you scroll down to Out of Competition...

2 hours ago, Holko said:

What? It's right there if you scroll down to Out of Competition...

Where?

I see these 4 films. No Miyazaki film.

INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY by James MANGOLD

COBWEB by KIM Jee-woon

THE IDOL by Sam LEVINSON

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON by Martin SCORSESE

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I thought the new film would premiere in Cannes?

Nope.

we can confirm that Hayao Miyazaki’s animation How Do You Live? will not be heading to the Croisette. There had been hope the filmmaker’s first movie in a decade could grace the festival and conversations were had about that possibility but as first reported by Paris Match over the weekend, our sources have confirmed it will debut to Japanese audiences in July.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/cannes-lineup-studio-ghibli-anime-miyazaki-wim-wenders-ainouz-kitty-green-1235277889/

• 1 month later...

Toshio Suzuki gives an interview where he talks about why How Do You Live? won't have any trailers - or even any advertising at all

https://www.indiewire.com/news/breaking-news/studio-ghibli-wont-promote-miyazaki-how-do-you-live-japan-1234870168

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Toshio Suzuki gives an interview where he talks about why How Do You Live? won't have any trailers - or even any advertising at all

https://www.indiewire.com/news/breaking-news/studio-ghibli-wont-promote-miyazaki-how-do-you-live-japan-1234870168

What a weird and disappointing decision! I guess I will be waiting for the blu-ray to join my Ghibli anime collection.

• 1 month later...

Update: The film will now officially be known in English as The Boy and the Heron

GKids gets the North American distribution rights, of course. Will release "later this year."

Rumors of a festival run so maybe Suzuki's comments were specifically referring to withholding all the usual pre-release stuff for the Japanese release while international could be a different ballgame for them. 

31 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Have we said before that Hisaishi's soundtrack will be released on August 9?

I just found out about this.

My most anticipated soundtrack of these last years (even more than Williams's Indy 5)

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TKCA-75200

Yeah

On 30/06/2023 at 3:24 AM, Quppa said:

Fantastic - I'd missed the news that he'd been confirmed as composer. It looks like it was announced a couple of days ago and the album is scheduled for release on the 9th of August.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Does it resemble any of the previous Ghibli films?

13 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's how I feel about Studio Ghibli's output; great, but it doesn't blow my bollocks off.

it's very fantasy - kinda like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle - not in quality but perhaps content. Phantasmagoric, creatures, quests - that kinda thing. 

The Wind Rises is a staggering masterpiece. This feels like a step down. 

Though of course it is still good. It's Miyazaki afterall.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

To tell you the truth I was a bit bored in The Wind Rises with all the technical stuff about aeroplanes.

The Wind Rises is unlike any other animated movie ever made i would posit. It is basically a sweeping biographical historical period piece drama. You could make the same movie word for word, moment for moment in live action and it would be one of those classic epic Hollywood oscar best picture winners.