The Lord of the Rings Score Restored (Unused Howard Shore Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

Move out of the way as Theoden Rides Forth (Alternate Brass, No choir or Ben Del Maestro)

Prepare for The Descent of the Nazgul

Listen to The Tales That Really Matter (Restored Alternate)

The Two Towers finished, moving on to Return of the King, I am moving on to unfamiliar territory, so I am going to need help figuring out what was used or not.

What's the source on the Fellowship statement in "The Tales That Really Mattered?"

Move out of the way as Theoden Rides Forth (Alternate Brass, No choir or Ben Del Maestro)

Prepare for The Descent of the Nazgul

Listen to The Tales That Really Matter (Restored Alternate)

The Two Towers finished, moving on to Return of the King, I am moving on to unfamiliar territory, so I am going to need help figuring out what was used or not.

What's the source on the Fellowship statement in "The Tales That Really Mattered?"

The music documentary on the TTT EE DVD's.

• 2 months later...

I've got a couple questions about the Pelennor edit-

1. What's the source on the additional hardingfele? I haven't heard that anywhere else.

2. Are you sure about the Gandalf/Pippin interlude? It seems out of place with the music, and occurs much earlier in the final edit of the film. Plus, we already have the "Tomb of the Stewards" music for that same bit. Might it be more likely that it's more of the charge that was edited out?

I've got a couple questions about the Pelennor edit-

1. What's the source on the additional hardingfele? I haven't heard that anywhere else.

2. Are you sure about the Gandalf/Pippin interlude?

1: Mockup based on the Live To Projection version.

2: The TE has it that way (there are quite a few shots that were scored twice, for example a shot of Merry climbing out from the fallen Mumak is covered in "Dernhelm In Battle" AND "Shieldmaiden of Rohan") and I think it fits (sort of like how "I Will Have War" syncs with Dain's theme in BOTFA)

Climb Mount Doom/The Cracks of Doom

• 3 weeks later...

Faleel, where did you get the music for Use Well the Days? I've never heard that before. He's beautiful. Maybe you mentioned it somewhere but I'm on my phone which has limited functionality for web surfing at the moment.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Council of Elrond (Restored Theatrical Version): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9cExXXzlIazNLNnc/view?usp=drivesdk

Is It Secret? Is It Safe!? (Partial Restore)

The Sword That Was Broken (Restored Ending) @Jim Ware Am I correct placing this here? I believe the L2P has it like this.

• 1 year later...

Redid my video of the original version of the FOTR prologue: I used the EE footage from an old rip, cut to match the TE, because my rip of the TE DVD was giving me glitches.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HAv5XyCrItTdf0XOtXvU_VqxingZiORZ

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Kühni said:

@Faleel J.M.

Do you have higher-res files for the artwork of your complete edits? I seem to only have the one for Fellowship. Ta mucho! :)

This what you need?

• 3 years later...
On 01/09/2022 at 10:16 PM, Tydirium said:

I'd be very interested to listen to these, but it seems like most of them are unavailable. Any chance they'll be re-uploaded/made public again sometime?

Apparently google updated something, which means the links have to be "reforged" and pasted in again.

• 2 weeks later...

I too would love to hear these. It says I needed to request access though.  

Im particularly keen to hear  Fellowship. I never realized how many bits and pieces were tracked in that first score (and thus reflected on the “complete recordings” of that one. So to hear Shores original intentions would be cool to hear :)

In retrospect, it's kind of insane how they basically just plopped the final film edits on CD and sold it to us.  To be fair to them, it isn't apparent how much tracking and editing you're hearing, as its all professionally edited.  But as time has gone on since then, and we've learned more, and so many of the as-recorded cues turned up in video games and dvd menus and such it's like... oh.... wait... why did they do this?

Luckily TTT and ROTK don't have this issue.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

In retrospect, it's kind of insane how they basically just plopped the final film edits on CD and sold it to us.  To be fair to them, it isn't apparent how much tracking and editing you're hearing, as its all professionally edited.  But as time has gone on since then, and we've learned more, and so many of the as-recorded cues turned up in video games and dvd menus and such it's like... oh.... wait... why did they do this?

Luckily TTT and ROTK don't have this issue.

Yes. Thankfully it wasn’t as bad as the “Ultimate edition” of Phantom Menace! 🙄

3 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Here is a link to the Google Drive folders:

FELLOWSHIP

TWO TOWERS
RETURN OF THE KING

Thanks so much! I can’t wait to dive into this!

Has anybody created a correctly-edited version of the Complete Recordings tracks? Or at least a spreadsheet of where the microedits / tracking / etc. goes / should go / be removed / etc.?

I made one or two tiny edits to my own rips but wouldn't be opposed to a more correct version.

I'm working on a big informational resource like that, but you can also just watch all of Faleels videos, which fix them all

Man. I’d heard that original Prologue with the Gondor theme before on the rarities archive. But it was cool to see it lined up to picture.

It’s curious that Shore doesn’t seem to quote the History of the Ring theme at all in that version. Had he not yet composed it? It seems like such a crucial musical building block. Especially in that sequence. Was the build up and motif heard in the very beginning at 0:38 and at 3:37 Shores initial idea for a History of the Ring type-theme? I love it. But to my knowledge it’s not repeated anywhere else in Fellowships score or the other two films. Just in this Prologue…

The History of the Ring theme was not originally a recurring theme, just an idea used in one cue: The scene where the group sets up camp on the side of the river, Merry notices Frodo is not with them, Aragorn notices Boromir's shield on the ground, and we cut to Boromir finding Frodo and beginning a conversation with him.  This is the first 1:13 of the CR track Parth Galen

PJ tracked this entire bit into the scene where Gandalf is sitting alone in Bag End pondering on the ring, whispers "riddles in the dark", Frodo comes in and picks up the ring as Gandalf says "my precious", etc.  This tracking is maintained on the CR album in the track Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe, from 4:00-5:19 (the actual cue Shore recorded for the scene is included on the OST album, in "The Shadow of the Past" from 0:00-0:59)

PJ ALSO tracked this Parth Galen bit into the scene a few minutes later where Gandalf talks about Sauron covering all the lands in a second darkness and how the ring wants to return to its master, etc.  This tracking is maintained on the CR in the track A Conspiracy Unmasked from 2:00-3:39 (the actual cue Shore recorded for the scene can be heard in the Costume featurette on the FOTR: EE Appendices)

At this point PJ had turned this bit of Parth Galen music into a theme via tracking, and he had Shore write it into a replacement cue: the new rewrite of the Argonath cue used in the film, CR (The Fighting Uruk-hai) and OST ("The Great River").  The original cue Shore recorded for this scene was released on the Rarities CD ("The Argonath (Alternate Version)")

PJ also decided to completely scrap Shore's original Prologue cue and record a new one almost entirely made up of pages from existing cues arranged together with some minor orchestration and timing differences, so we get a re-recording of the Parth Galen statement in Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All from 0:30-1:18, with other statements of the "Ring theme" throughout the track also coming from the Parth Galen pages.

By the time Shore was working on TTT as well as the new cue extensions needed for the FOTR: EE, History of the Ring was a clear theme used as such.

But yea, is Shore's original vision, it was a one-off melody for the Frodo/Boromir scene.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

The History of the Ring theme was not originally a recurring theme, just an idea used in one cue: The scene where the group sets up camp on the side of the river, Merry notices Frodo is not with them, Aragorn notices Boromir's shield on the ground, and we cut to Boromir finding Frodo and beginning a conversation with him.  This is the first 1:13 of the CR track Parth Galen

PJ tracked this entire bit into the scene where Gandalf is sitting alone in Bag End pondering on the ring, whispers "riddles in the dark", Frodo comes in and picks up the ring as Gandalf says "my precious", etc.  This tracking is maintained on the CR album in the track Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe, from 4:00-5:19 (the actual cue Shore recorded for the scene is included on the OST album, in "The Shadow of the Past" from 0:00-0:59)

PJ ALSO tracked this Parth Galen bit into the scene a few minutes later where Gandalf talks about Sauron covering all the lands in a second darkness and how the ring wants to return to its master, etc.  This tracking is maintained on the CR in the track A Conspiracy Unmasked from 2:00-3:39 (the actual cue Shore recorded for the scene can be heard in the Costume featurette on the FOTR: EE Appendices)

At this point PJ had turned this bit of Parth Galen music into a theme via tracking, and he had Shore write it into a replacement cue: the new rewrite of the Argonath cue used in the film, CR (The Fighting Uruk-hai) and OST ("The Great River").  The original cue Shore recorded for this scene was released on the Rarities CD ("The Argonath (Alternate Version)")

PJ also decided to completely scrap Shore's original Prologue cue and record a new one almost entirely made up of pages from existing cues arranged together with some minor orchestration and timing differences, so we get a re-recording of the Parth Galen statement in Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All from 0:30-1:18, with other statements of the "theme" throughout the track also coming from the Parth Galen pages.

By the time Shore was working on TTT as well as the new cue extensions needed for the FOTR: EE, History of the Ring was a clear theme used liberally.

But yea, is Shore's original vision, it was a one-off melody for the Frodo/Boromir scene.

Holy moly! I didn’t realize it was initially just a one-off idea. I knew about Parth Garlen being tracked in different places. But I never new that it was that excessive tracking that led Shore to adapt it as one of the defining musical identities of the score. 

Doug Adam’s book doesn’t really dig into all that tracking. Can I ask (other than hearing it in the film) how you know about what cues were initially used etc. The cue sheets or something?