The Lord of the Rings Score Restored (Unused Howard Shore Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

That Parth Galen passage was excellent. I love the extension of the Seduction of the Ring choir. What is the source for those two unreleased choral sections?

#1 The Prologue storyboard had it but it had loads of SFX (not too bad though), then I found a section of it pretty clean in the preview for the EE (it was mixed in 5.1!) that was on the TE special features.

#2 Also in the prologue, but only five notes of it, and it was layered under the Footsteps of Doom variation from "One Ring to Rule Them All", I recently found it (with some other removed minutae ;) ) in the Two Towers video game.

One of the coolest things about live to projection performances is that you get to hear some of those previously unused passages as they were originally intended. And the interesting thing is that they don't feel out of place at all - it works very well.

Karol - who is seriously thinking of attending ROTK performance in Dublin this October

I was able to attend a FOTR performance, never got to see TTT or ROTK, which is a shame, what with all the unused passages.

I wouldn't say it is such a surprise that those unused sections work in the film. I think they needed some smaller moments for the film to breathe and took some of the music out for that reason or found the score in other ways distracting to the whole, visuals, sound effects etc. When presented on its own as the centerpiece of the event like in the live projections it shows that Shore's dramatic choices themselves were very apt and stand strong on their own.

You know what really worked for me, for example? The unused Seduction of the Ring segments in TTT. And that Gandalf reborn music as well. And, quite surprsingly, the quirky Gollum music when he brings the rabbits. And I was also glad the opening cue contained that choral bit missing in Moria flashback.

I really want to see that ROTK. I've seen clips of the opening Smeagol scenes and I really liked it.

Karol

I love that particular bit of unused music and it works extremely well with the images as that video testifies.

Yes that contrapunctal development sends chills down my spine every time. Such a brilliant moment.

I hated that Jackson robbed that theme of its final development.

Yes that is a bit sad, never allowing the Seduction of the Ring to be used as the voice of the Ring. We are so lucky that Shore wanted to release his music in his intended form so we can hear that development. :)

I am just saying, I am sad that it did not get to develop beyond its static choral boundaries from FOTR/TTT to the more active orchestral developement in ROTK

New video

The Shadow of the Past......My Precious....Riddles in the Dark....

I am just saying, I am sad that it did not get to develop beyond its static choral boundaries from FOTR/TTT to the more active orchestral developement in ROTK

I always thought this static approach worked very well with the Seduction of the RIng, the call was always the same siren song that did not vary much in style or orchestration. It is about the rather democratic allure to everyone. I like the contrapunctal orchestral development in the RotK prologue and Mt. Doom but the film itself doesn't offer countless chances to expand on the idea as the theme itself is reserved for the most pivotal moments when the Ring is trying to seduce another victim.

The Shadow of the Past alternate is a good example of how the film makers manipulated the story telling music-wise and how the score can really offer different perspectives to the same scene. The alternate emphasizes Gollum as the focal point of the discussion and action in the scene, Gandalf's reminisces focused on the riddles in the dark and the creature's role, not so much the passage of the One Ring, also presaging the reason of his departure. The music voices his concern for Gollum more subtly in the final version, which again wants to hone in on the passage of the One Ring from one keeper to another.

Does anyone else detect a similarity between roughly 6:00-end of Roots and Beginnings and 1:20-1:43 of Riddles in the Dark (from The Hobbit)? Interesting that the former should begin as Gollum crawls into his Misty Mountain dwelling.

I'm guessing this is obvious and has been pulled up before. But it's been a while since I've heard all of Roots and Beginnings and of course heard/seen it in the context of the film.

Coming up next: The Nazgul, without the tracked music, removed instruments, and with an alternate version!

@Incanus, I agree, though its a shame they couldnt have done it with a new variation instead of tracking music from Parth Galen.

Does anyone else detect a similarity between roughly 6:00-end of Roots and Beginnings and 1:20-1:43 of Riddles in the Dark (from The Hobbit)? Interesting that the former should begin as Gollum crawls into his Misty Mountain dwelling.

I'm guessing this is obvious and has been pulled up before. But it's been a while since I've heard all of Roots and Beginnings and of course heard/seen it in the context of the film.

I think it more the general feel of the Gollum music and the structures Shore uses that create the feel of similarity. To my mind that is the connection.

Now there is a decided different energy and mood between those two. Obviously the alternate with Isengard theme and choir was thought both too early introduction for the theme but also too energetic. The revised version is despondent and considerably more muted and moody.

Great videos Faleel!

What about the first part Inky? with the "crazy strings" over the subdued Ringwraith material that were dialed out, and the bit that was replaced with tracked material?

BTW A Knife in the Dark with all the instruments restored is next.

What about the first part Inky? with the "crazy strings" over the subdued Ringwraith material that were dialed out, and the bit that was replaced with tracked material?

I'd say it has a bit more chilling effect, which is very appropriate and is in line with the later Nazgûl material on Weathetop with those similar screeching string effects.

Speaking of those string effects, there was actually an instance of them being tracked in "The Caverns of Isengard" right before Aragorn throws the torch at the last Wraith.

It will be in my upcoming videos

I love that music in the first video for the reveal of Amon Sul. Is that in the theatrical cut? It's been so long since I've seen it I can't remember. Though I have frequent memories of hearing it in The Two Towers game.

Yes that contrapunctal development sends chills down my spine every time. Such a brilliant moment.

I hated that Jackson robbed that theme of its final development.

Yes that is a bit sad, never allowing the Seduction of the Ring to be used as the voice of the Ring. We are so lucky that Shore wanted to release his music in his intended form so we can hear that development. :)

Yes. It's just a pity he apparently didn't want the same for Fellowship.

Believe it or not, to hear that score, with unused pieces restored, with edits removed, properly mastered, is still a holy grail, despite Faleel's great efforts.

I would love to try the Gondor theme in Parth Galen, if it was indeed replaced by the Ring theme.

Faleel - great videos. Althought, one question - why the poor video quality? I don't just mean the 480p (which looks like 360p), it also seems like maybe the aspect ratio / cropping is a little off?

Anyways, now some specific comments

Love the original intention to use GOllum's theme here - but I have to admit, the History Of The Ring version used in the film - even though it's tracked from the end of the film - works perfectly too.

I'm surprised you got this to sync, because the OST track is microedited. Or did you find the missing bits in a video game?

Seen this before from an older thread, and its still good. I WANT THIS MUSIC CLEAN! Maybe someone can mock it up and get it to sound realistic? Shouldn't be as hard as other things since there aren't a lot of instruments used.

Love the screeching strings in the beginning. Why did you remove the "no breakfast" scene? You know, as great as the original Isengard music is on its own, I definitely understand why it was all dropped from the film.

Wait, where did this longer version of the music come from?

I must have been paying too much attention to the video to miss the added instruments - where are they?

Wow, I can't believe I never noticed the bit with Aragorn throwing the torch was tracked before. I hate how all the tracking was kept on the CR set, glad that practice wasn't kept with the TTT and ROTK CRs! Anyways what video game track had the unedited cue?

Yikers. As insteresting as the vocal arrangement at the end is, it is soooo wrong for the film, and I am glad it was rescored!

Not much to say about this, except that I think PJ was wise to dial out the aleatoric french horns in the film.

At first I was like "wait why are there sound effects over the bit with Frodo in the shadow world seeing Sauron's eye? This music is on the CR".... then I realized there was added choir. Cool!

Love the bit at the end with the elongated Seduction theme. Again, they were wise to cut it, but this music should have been restored for the CR!

At first I was like "wait why are there sound effects over the bit with Frodo in the shadow world seeing Sauron's eye? This music is on the CR".... then I realized there was added choir. Cool!

Love the bit at the end with the elongated Seduction theme. Again, they were wise to cut it, but this music should have been restored for the CR!

Yeah it is a shame that passage was left off the CR. Also the choral version of the Ringwraith material for the reveal of Barad Dûr on the Seat of Seeing would have been nice to have in good quality either on the CR (they opted for the choirless version) or on the Rarities disc.

But we are of course in our zeal for all the miscellaneous musical moments forgetting that the composer was trying to present the scores on the CR in a cohesive form, not just bundle everything imaginable unreleased material on those discs. But I have to admit some of these examples would not have demanded much effort to include nor derailed the listening experience, like that Seduction of the Ring extension in Parth Galen.

I was able to attend a FOTR performance, never got to see TTT or ROTK, which is a shame, what with all the unused passages.

I'm the opposite. Missed out on FOR, saw TTT last year and I'll be seeing ROTK in October :)

one question - why the poor video quality?

I used the rip for my iPod, so that it would not take forever to render.

I'm surprised you got this to sync, because the OST track is microedited. Or did you find the missing bits in a video game?

I got this from somebody (Jim Ware I think) I think he got it from a documentary on one of the DVD's or something...

Why did you remove the "no breakfast" scene?

Is there a reason why I should have kept it?

TE DVD menus

I must have been paying too much attention to the video to miss the added instruments - where are they?

Additional choir, and some muted brass.

Anyways what video game track had the unedited cue?

The track that I called "Unknown"

Replies are in bold.

(I would love to see these videos redone with a 720p rip of the film ;) )

All in due time... ;)

That's something I've wanted to do for a long, LONG time: using the CRs and combine them with a 1080p rip of the films. Don't know if I'll ever do this project,but that's always been on the back of my mind for quite some time now. Of course, I never noticed until now (since Fal started working on collecting all this stuff) how much music was tracked in the CRs, and that complicates the task a bit more if you have to collect unreleased music from multiple sources. Maybe I'll just use the CRs without all the unreleased stuff if I ever do it...

There's only really tracking on the FOTR CR, the TTT and ROTK CRs are free of tracking AFAIK.

The other problem with lining up FOTR CR to the film is that repetitive bars were trimmed in random places for "listening experience."

Welcome to Rivendell, JWfan.

The Great Eye...is ever watchful....

Now, I know I am jumping ahead but....

The Entmoot Decides (Alternate - Incomplete)

We are The Fighting Uruk-Hai!

The Great River (OST)

The Argonath (Pt. 1 and Pt. 2)...Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin.

The Argonath Pt. 2 (Revised)

The Departure of Boromir

We are The Fighting Uruk-Hai!

The Great River (OST)

The Argonath (Pt. 1 and Pt. 2)...Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin.

Great videos!

What is this strange blip of music you've included at the end, where did it come from, and why do you think it goes here?

Its from the LOTR symphony version, I just through it in for fun.

It was actually pretty fun recreating the original cut on some of these videos.

"The seer speaks...." The Prophecy

Interesting. I think the prologue was completely recut and reconfigured many times and there's little chance that any of the preliminary versions of the music line up with any significant chunks of the final edit, but I must say this video works fairly well - even though I doubt those were the images Shore wrote that music for ;)

Welcome to Rivendell, JWfan.

Haven't watched this video yet, but I assume it's just the OST version of the cue?

Haven't watched this video yet either - what parts of this will be different than the CR version and where did they come from?

TE DVD menus

Wait, isn't that music for Boromir picking up the shards of Narsil at Rivendel?

Also, it might be nice to have some description with each video, so I know what to listen for when I'm watching these videos. What was used in the film? What wasn't? And where did the unused music come from? :)

I'm the opposite. Missed out on FOR, saw TTT last year and I'll be seeing ROTK in October :)

Yeah, I'm going to be there (in Dublin, that is). The overall price of hotel, flight and concert ticket was too temptingly low. Plus I always wanted to see this one and missed the performance at Royal Albert Hall three years ago (to a great disappointment).

And now I a few days later there is a live performance of Herrmann's Vertigo. Now that would be cool too.

Karol

it might be nice to have some description with each video, so I know what to listen for when I'm watching these videos. What was used in the film? What wasn't? And where did the unused music come from? :)

Yes yea, a thousand times yes, please do this!

Yeah, I'm going to be there (in Dublin, that is). The overall price of hotel, flight and concert ticket was too temptingly low. Plus I always wanted to see this one and missed the performance at Royal Albert Hall three years ago (to a great disappointment).

And now I a few days later there is a live performance of Herrmann's Vertigo. Now that would be cool too.

Karol

That would be a nice little holiday. Vertigo shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as ROTK because of the much smaller venue.