Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bilbo

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series (Crimes of Grindelwald Spoilers Allowed)

Recommended Posts

I'm...getting accustomed to the Crimes of Grindelwald as a title. I guess it jars with the Fantastic Beasts but we're stuck with those as a series title.

Yeah this gets me excited overall (despite the typical Yates drabness for the photo!) and I love love love how the idea of Jude Law as Dumbledore. But Johnny Depp...whyyyy...:angry: Colin Farrell was so good as Grindelwald and the twist ending in the first film just ruined something I'd really enjoyed. Johnny Depp is great in some ways but I can't help feel he will be a joke as Grindelwald in comparison with the sexy but menacing Colin. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, idril said:

I'm...getting accustomed to the Crimes of Grindelwald as a title. I guess it jars with the Fantastic Beasts but we're stuck with those as a series title.

Yeah this gets me excited overall (despite the typical Yates drabness for the photo!) and I love love love how the idea of Jude Law as Dumbledore. But Johnny Depp...whyyyy...:angry: Colin Farrell was so good as Grindelwald and the twist ending in the first film just ruined something I'd really enjoyed. Johnny Depp is great in some ways but I can't help feel he will be a joke as Grindelwald in comparison with the sexy but menacing Colin. :( 

 

I agree with every word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks even blander than the first Fantastic Beasts. The bits at Hogwarts look promising (as well as Jude Law's Dumbledore), but the new characters are otherwise blah.

 

I wish J.K. Rowling had left the Wizarding World as it was after Deathly Hallows. Newt and Grindelwald are some of the blandest Potter characters out there. It reeks of a cash-in, and she doesn't need the money any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We watched the new trailer last night too.

 

I kind of liked the first Beasts film, and in general find the Dumbledore / Grindlewald backstory as discussed in the original Harry Potter books interesting, and isn't the worst idea to be filmed as a movie.


BUT.  FIVE films to tell this story?  WAYYY too much.

 

And yes, Newt is a complete charisma free character, at least as played by Redmayne.  This trailer doesn't excite me at all about this second film despite liking the first one, though it doesn't help that they use really bad modern trailer style music instead of the actual style of music all 9 films in the series have been scored with (classic orchestral).  

 

Oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's barely enough story for three Beasts films, let alone five.

 

I wish I could talk with J.K.R. in person just to ask her "Why? Why five films? Is WB that hard up for franchise material?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I think there's barely enough story for three Beasts films, let alone five.

 

I wish I could talk with J.K.R. in person just to ask her "Why? Why five films? Is WB that hard up for franchise material?"

 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

BUT.  FIVE films to tell this story?  WAYYY too much.

Rowling had a seven book plan for Harry Potter from the get-go.  Obviously a lot of details changed, but the length and main beats were set.

 

We don't know what the movies are going to be about, and I don't know why we would say "stop at 3" when we don't know the story they're trying to tell, but I would assume the five-film plan followed that same line of thought.

 

Thought the new preview looked dumb and the music wasn't great, but I felt the same way about promotion for the last one and really enjoyed the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no doubt that the books changed in the writing (as they should - no good writer would be rigid to a ten-year-old outline), but Rowling was always consistent during the writing about the series being seven books, and structured the Hogwarts years as such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think she did a wonderful job presenting books that do, indeed, grow darker and more mature from entry to entry. But in terms of an actual planting-and-payoff mechanisms, I find her projects severly lacking.

 

I quit reading Harry Potter quite early on, but especially in rewatching the films lately you see something like the relationship she builds between Harry and Luna, which feels tailor-made to be the basis to a romance, but instead of following it through, she - in the eleventh hour - chooses to turn Jinny into the romantic interest. Its something that is, arguably, too big to fault the screenwriter for not changing for the sake of the film, so the fault rests squarely in the hands of JK Rowling.

 

 

Which is to say nothing about her planting the idea that Bellatrix is responsible for the death of Neville's parents, only for her to be killed by... mrs. Wisley? If I were a screenwriter on the film, I would have changed that entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone ship Luna and Harry before and tbh I hope I never do again.

 

I think it’s great that’s Harry has platonic relationships with the likes of Luna and Hermione. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, movie 5 gives off very wrong vibes for Harry and Luna, and movie 6 completely fucks up the Ginny romance along with basically everything else. It's a bit quick in the book, too, but there's a lot of planting in the early parts you only notice on the nth read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mstrox said:

 

Rowling had a seven book plan for Harry Potter from the get-go.  Obviously a lot of details changed, but the length and main beats were set.

 

We don't know what the movies are going to be about, and I don't know why we would say "stop at 3" when we don't know the story they're trying to tell, but I would assume the five-film plan followed that same line of thought.

 

Thought the new preview looked dumb and the music wasn't great, but I felt the same way about promotion for the last one and really enjoyed the movie.

1

 

I know sometimes during writing when you plan out plot beats and length, the final product can be much longer and different than expected. 

 

But still... I'm just side-eying the five movie plan. It's ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, don't get me wrong. I've had enough of JK Rowling and the adaptations of her work well into the Harry Potter series already.

 

I also think that its going to make a very wierd marathon viewing experience: The "charm", for lack of a better word, of the first Harry Potter film is the introduction to the magical world. But now that its supposed to come after five prequels....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ehh, I liked the first Fantastic Beasts, and though no masterpiece, I think Rowling is very good at writing consistent and believable characters, and did like Eddie Redmayne’s Newt. 

 

Also, that killer score by JNH helped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Holko said:

Yeah, movie 5 gives off very wrong vibes for Harry and Luna, and movie 6 completely fucks up the Ginny romance along with basically everything else. It's a bit quick in the book, too, but there's a lot of planting in the early parts you only notice on the nth read.

 

It's not like it came completely out of nowhere because obviously the entirety of COS, she has a crush on him and Rowling pays that off with some pretty standard romantic imagery in the finale where Harry has to slay the monster to save the damsel.

 

I get what she was doing with having Harry interested in Cho Chang through 3-5 only to have it end awkwardly, but all the time put into him pining for her meant that I never really bought why Harry would suddenly be that into Ginny the next year. Obviously they spend a lot of time together in groups but I think they have like one conversation alone in OOTP. Harry's love life in general is one of the weakest aspects of the series but ultimately so irrelevant to the story and his character arc that I could never get myself to care because I never felt that strongly about his chemistry with anybody.

 

His relationship with Ginny was basically just there to get Harry into the Weasley family but really it makes more sense that he would have found somebody later in life after he'd dealt with all the trauma and depression lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The major thing that may paint their relationship more as out of nowhere for us readers is that there are a few summers they spend together (particularly the one between 5 and 6) that we never see most of because it's just not relevant to the plot, but probably provide place for a lot of foundation-laying for their future relationship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well yeah, but even then she could have made up little random things to mention in her usual summaries of what happened over the summer. Stuff that would stick out and feel like a possible little hint of something. Say they got into wizard chess marathons with friendly chats about nothing in particular that would last until 1 in the morning after everyone else had gone to bed.

 

Instead the impression is pretty much that he and Ron are glued at the hip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

Ehh, I liked the first Fantastic Beasts, and though no masterpiece, I think Rowling is very good at writing consistent and believable characters, and did like Eddie Redmayne’s Newt. 

 

Also, that killer score by JNH helped!

 

I love Rowling's writing on the page and she does craft consistent and believable characters throughout her writing (especially her Comoran strike novels). But her debut screenplay for Fantastic Beasts... I don't know if her inexperience with the format or whether David Yates' direction is at fault. Probably both.

 

While I have some grudges against Steven Kloves in terms of adapting the Potter books (or giving other characters' lines to Hermione), I felt Rowling's book spirit in his screenplays better than she has on her own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×