Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

The only Gambon Dumbledore performances I liked were in Azkaban and Deathly Hallows Part 2. In Azkaban he may not have shown the caring side of Dumbledore well, but then again the script didn't require him to. I thought his more eccentric side that came out in that film instead was brilliant, and I don't we ever saw it quite like that again, which is a shame. In Deathly Hallows Part 2, in the flashbacks, we see one of the better dramatic portrayals of Dumbledore in the series when he is talking to Snape. In the same film, I thought he was excellent in the King's Cross scene. Especially the delivery of one of my favorite lines of the entire series, "Of course it's happening inside your head, Harry. Why should that mean that it is not real?" I still think Harris would have been better at both of these performances, but we'll never know for sure. Either way, it was always said Gambon was not trying to emulate his performance, and was doing his own thing. In a way, I do find that more respectful. However, what I didn't like was that Gambon never read the books at all. To me that seemed a bit ignorant in being true to the spirit of the books for such an iconic and important character as the one he portrayed.

I actually thought Goblet of Fire was the worst. It was just so fucking cheesy, but like not in a good way.

It does have Robert Pattinson's best role. He plays a doomed Triwizard competitor better than a sparkly pouty vampire.

However, what I didn't like was that Gambon never read the books at all. To me that seemed a bit ignorant in being true to the spirit of the books for such an iconic and important character as the one he portrayed.

The problem with this argument is that Harris claimed to never read them either, yet everybody loved him anyway.

As you say, I don't think Gambon was incapable of being a good Dumbledore. He had his moments. I don't think he necessarily should have done a Harris imitation either, though they probably should have cast someone who naturally had more of a similarity. I wish they hadn't completely changed the wardrobe at least....the beard ties, shabby robes. They even threw away his glasses before long.

I think he was misdirected after #3 and tended to write him a little too serious. The Harry/Dumbledore relationship became cold and plot-driven. The few attempts at warmth were too mawkish or awkward like telling Harry to shave and asking if he was banging Hermione. It also didn't help that whereas in the first three you had all these warm tones and Williams' music bringing out all of Dumbledore's gentleness, lyricism, and quirkiness, most of the DD scenes later on had an intense and chilly atmosphere. Even things like you never saw his office in daylight anymore, so that became a creepy setting in general. Rather than feeling safe with Dumbledore you sort of wanted to get away from him.

One thing that annoyed me about the later movies was how they seemed to be inspired by the look of POA. I think what the DP did for that flick worked, but the other ones just amplified it to the extreme and got uglier and uglier.

That did get absolutely ridiculous by the end of it. It's hilarious to look at shots of Hogwarts at night across the series:

hp_philostone_02186.jpg

Harry_Potter_and_the_Prisoner_of_Azkaban

harry-potter-half-blood-movie-screencaps

Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows_Par

One thing that annoyed me about the later movies was how they seemed to be inspired by the look of POA. I think what the DP did for that flick worked, but the other ones just amplified it to the extreme and got uglier and uglier.

That did get absolutely ridiculous by the end of it. It's hilarious to look at shots of Hogwarts at night across the series:

hp_philostone_02186.jpg

Harry_Potter_and_the_Prisoner_of_Azkaban

harry-potter-half-blood-movie-screencaps

Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows_Par

God, no kidding! I really disliked how literally dark the cinematography was in the final films. It never made it any edgier or look more serious. It just made it always look pitch black! Unless we are exploring the darkness in an "Alien" movie or something, movies actually need to be SEEN to be enjoyed. I swear I can only watch the final two or three films with the lights off and no other light coming into the room so I can get the full view from the screen. Either that or adjust my contrast settings on my TV all crazy. Ugh.

God, no kidding! I really disliked how literally dark the cinematography was in the final films. It never made it any edgier or look more serious. It just made it always look pitch black! Unless we are exploring the darkness in an "Alien" movie or something, movies actually need to be SEEN to be enjoyed. I swear I can only watch the final two or three films with the lights off and no other light coming into the room so I can get the full view from the screen. Either that or adjust my contrast settings on my TV all crazy. Ugh.

It's stylistically designed to be that way and you can't undo that. But we can diminish the effects of it.

It's stylistically designed to be that way and you can't undo that. But we can diminish the effects of it.

It didn't bother me personally but the movie was already very dark because a lot of it takes place in the night. However what made it look even darker in the cinema was the 3D and as we all probably have noticed, 3D causes light loss. I think they should have released it in 2D like part 1 and the other movies because the film was designed in 2D + it would have been a little bit lighter.

The consistent changing of directors really didn't help the HP franchise. I hated the unnecessary humour that plagued David Yates' films. HBP was meant to be dark, but we had to sit through Harry getting high on Felix Felices and Lavender Brown. Don't even get me started on the "That's my girlfriend you numpty" or "I've always wanted to use that spell" lines from DH Part 2. They make me cringe every time. Michael Gambon got better as Dumbledore as the series went on, but really he was no Richard Harris.

It's hilarious there, but it's terribly OOC as well. Kloves wrote a stunning victory speech for him, but Yates dropped that too. It also leads to a totally ridiculous bit in the extra featurettes: when Coltrane talks about 'a fantastic victory speech' you just see him go HARRY POTTER IS DEAD, HEH-HEH-HEH!

Ehh I think it's pretty bad, actually...

The consistent changing of directors really didn't help the HP franchise. I hated the unnecessary humour that plagued David Yates' films. HBP was meant to be dark, but we had to sit through Harry getting high on Felix Felices and Lavender Brown. Don't even get me started on the "That's my girlfriend you numpty" or "I've always wanted to use that spell" lines from DH Part 2. They make me cringe every time. Michael Gambon got better as Dumbledore as the series went on, but really he was no Richard Harris.

The books had a lot of humor all the way through Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows. I don't think that was necessarily the problem, the comic timing in Yates' movies was just slow and awkward and sometimes bizarre like the Felix Felicis scene. And the Voldemort hug, lol. They spent so much time on that.

His movies are kind of uncomfortable to watch. There was still a lot of kiddie humor, campy acting, and corny dialogue carried over from the first movies but with that slow pace and serious mood over everything. All those lifeless group scenes with people just standing around. He got to do a few party scenes, everybody's sitting down or standing in one spot. He never figured out how to make wand battles very interesting. Dumbledore vs Voldemort, Harry vs Voldemort. Standing in one place...

Okay, here goes. Excuse the strange line breaks if they show up, it's the original formatting:

VOLDEMORT Stupid girl. You cry for that?

Voldemort gestures to the body lying still in Hagrids arms.

VOLDEMORT (addressing all) Tell me. These last few hours -- as you collected the dead and tended your wounded -- was he by your side?

Voldemort surveys the throng, who stand mute. He nods, as if their silence were answer enough.

VOLDEMORT While your hands ran dark with the blood of mothers and sons, fathers and daughters, brothers and sisters, his were clasped in prayer -- but it was a prayer for one and one only. While you battled courageously, until you could no longer will yourself to stand, he had long since fallen to his knees. While you cursed me until your voices grew ragged, he begged me for mercy in a voice as meek as a childs.

Voldemorts eyes narrow.

VOLDEMORT So do not cry for that. Hes not worthy of your tears. And do not despair of his betrayal. You were never in his heart. Not for one single solitary beat.