Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

Anyone that tries to kickstart a franchise anew is automatically pathetic.

Studios have to make money... and if they can find a way to restart a reliable franchise, I don't blame them.

No one (including you) doesn't have to see it, if you don't want to.

• 5 months later...

Emma Watson interviewed Rowling in a magazine recently, and they talked a bit about the script.

Emma: I wanted to ask you about the script that you are writing for Warner Bros. for Fantastic Beasts…

Rowling: So when Warner Bros. came to me and said they wanted to make a film out of the book I had this simultaneous feeling of “it has a lot of potential,” and another feeling of slight panic that “I know some things about Newt and I don’t want you to ruin that for me!” because I knew who he was. So then I went away and sort of dwelt on what I knew about Newt, not intending to write a script but just trying to collect my thoughts so that I could at least give them the backstory I’d imagined, so that their vision was true to what I knew.

Then I really did have one of those moments that always make you phenomenally excited as a writer; but also that you know is going to end up being a ton of work. I thought, “Oh my God, a whole plot’s just descended on me!” But I wanted to do it as I was really excited about it. I wasn’t really thinking about writing the script myself, I thought, you know, I’ll give them this plot and then – fatally – I sat down and thought “I just wonder what it would look like…” and wrote a rough draft in twelve days!

Emma: Ahhhhh!

Rowling: It wasn’t a great draft but it did show the shape of how it might look. So that is how it all started.

Emma: Wow, Warner Bros. must have been so excited.

Rowling: I think they were kind of stunned. I didn’t tell them I had written it in twelve days. I’ve never written a script. It truly wasn’t that I thought I’d be good at it, I just wanted to get the outline of the story down, and that’s obviously given me a lot to work with going forward.

Her adult crime novel (published under a pseudonym), Cuckoo's Calling, is good. Haven't finished it yet, but it is a good read thus far. Frankly, I'm surprised none of the studios have optioned it for a film adaptation.

They're circling the book, but I think they'll probably start bidding once the sequel hits store shelves this June.

I haven't heard many ideas for movies that are as stupid as this. I hope Williams won't waste his time on this.

He already has another overwrought franchise to carry to its deathbed.

I haven't heard many ideas for movies that are as stupid as this. I hope Williams won't waste his time on this.

He already has another overwrought franchise to carry to its deathbed.

Did JKR share the script with you? Do share. I mean, it's like you haven't read it...

• 2 months later...

Yeah, Finke's definitely legit. I'm just somewhat surprised that he's actually going for it since he's talked about wanting to do something smaller after Gravity (though that's also what he said after Children of Men...) but at any rate, I guess chances for a Williams score are slightly higher.

Maybe J.K.R. approached him and told him about the story. Perhaps that changed his mind about him doing a smaller film after Gravity.

Maybe J.K.R. approached him and told him about the story. Perhaps that changed his mind about him doing a smaller film after Gravity.

They did really seem to hit it off when they were promoting Prisoner of Azkaban and I think he does have a natural affinity with her writing style, particularly her sense of humor. I can see why he'd be interested, and I do think that Hollywood can definitely use someone like him making tentpole/genre films at the moment.

And yeah, while I still don't think Williams is particularly likely, I think this news at least keeps him in the conversation. I kind of feel like if it ends up being a Potter vet, though, then it'll be either Doyle or Desplat.

Cuarón is hard to predict with music, he's used Doyle a couple times, who is also familiar with the Potter universe obviously, Price won an Oscar but is untested in this type of complexity and style, and on two movies he didn't use a composer (used existing music on Children of Men and Y Tu Mamá También). So you wonder if he would feel compelled to ask Williams based on that one collaboration. It's definitely not automatic.

Yeah, exactly. He might reteam with Williams or Doyle, he might give Price a chance at scoring this type of film. I could see him bringing on Desplat or even someone else entirely. I don't think David Heyman is that fussed about music, either. Judging by the Potter films, he's pretty hands-off and tends to leave most creative and personnel choices to director preference.

I think Doyle or Price are more likely to end up scoring this, but Williams would be fantastic. In the hands of other director I wouldn't be so trusty, but if Cuarón takes the reins, the musical possibilities could be quite promising.

Oh, definitely. I'm more curious whether Cuaron and DP Emmanuel Lubiezki will go back to 35mm for Fantastic Beasts or keep the Arri Alexa digital camera they used for Gravity.

• 1 month later...

FIRST LOOK: Creatures from Harry Potter Spin-Off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/07/07/first-look-creatures-from-harry-potter-spin-off-fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-1682821

• 1 month later...

Rowlings should just write new Harry Potter novels based on his adult life (or whatever age the actors happen to be now), so they can keep making new HP movies with the old cast over the years to come...until Harry is old like Dumbledore

Harry as a Hogwarts teacher and episodic events that happen at the school over the years

If Disney took it over that's what they'd do

Hmm, actually I'm convinced that's what will happen eventually

Rowlings should just write new Harry Potter novels based on his adult life (or whatever age the actors happen to be now), so they can keep making new HP movies with the old cast over the years to come...until Harry is old like Dumbledore

Harry as a Hogwarts teacher and episodic events that happen at the school over the years

If Disney took it over that's what they'd do

Hmm, actually I'm convinced that's what will happen eventually

Nah I don't think so. Rowling doesn't seem to want to return to Harry's story she's happy to do things that expand the world but nothing like a sequel series. Plus, I'm pretty sure it'll be a long time before Daniel Radcliffe will take on that role again as been working very hard to avoid typecasting and fair play to him it seems to be working.

They should do a film series of her Cormoran Strike-novels. The Silkworm is amazing.

Or a Poirot-like series in a few years, when there are more books.

I think each of those novels would make a nice 2-3 part miniseries on the BBC. Hope it happens when she has released a few more of them.

Looking forward to the Casual Vacancy series too. I enjoyed that book but I don't think it was what a lot of people expected.

I enjoyed it as well, very Dickensian. Not for anyone, though, and definitely not a new 'Potter'. The Comoran Strike-novels are probably a lot more appealing to the general public, because her main characters are much more sympathetic.

• 6 months later...