Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

Nothing is ever new around here. 

The best part of last year was the release of a 20 year old score along with a 24 year old score. 

For those of you who are interested, there's a better version of the film floating around now. And I also discovered the official Dutch translation of the word nomaj: niemagie. I'm ashamed to be part of this language community... This sounds more like Afrikaans than anything else.

To think I admired that translator as a kid... I just hope they won't replace 'Newt!' with 'Spiritus!' in the official subtitle/script translation because that will make it even more ridiculous. Niemagie, for crying out loud...

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

The reason I avoid Dutch subtitles these days is specifically because of Harry Potter.

Those changed words and names are just terrible.

The Finnish translator of all the Potter related books is usually doing her best to translate every character name in quirky Finnish variant, even unnecessarily translating English surnames and the like. One example that springs to mind is a minor character of Sybill Trelawney whose name becomes in Finnish Sibylla Punurmio with the surname literally meaning "Tree-lawn" in Finnish which sounds like poor man's etymology for the surname Trewlaney.

Same in Dutch, though meaning doesn't often play a role for this translator. Trelawney becomes Zwamdrift, it literally means 'a violent urge to talk nonsense'.

He did nail the translation of Horcruxes: Gruzielement.

Soul: ziel

Gruzelement: shard/tiny little fragment

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

The reason I avoid Dutch subtitles these days is specifically because of Harry Potter.

Those changed words and names are just terrible.

Since in original english are no better...

that is what is preventing me from reading the books....in any given language....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Based on the original books, I always figured magical creatures are as visible as regular ones.

Didn't they need Muggle Repellant Charms to keep them away from areas with known magical creatures?