Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

I think it's the best Fantasy score we've gotten on a while. Perhaps since HTTYD 2?

Looking forward to getting the BluRay when it arrives and rewatching. Rogue One kinda took over once that came out but im going to enjoy it at home when I get it. 

Yes BB, I got the edition with the Niffler statue. 

• 4 weeks later...

Jude Law is a fantastic actor who never seems to get the roles that show how fantastic he is.  But think of him in Mr. Ripley or A.I. or I Heart Huckabees or Side Effects or even his small role in Grand Budapest.  Basically, I'm on board the Jude Law as Dumbledore train.  Certainly better news than Johnny fucking Depp.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I have no problem with Jared Harris, a fine actor, but for me to endorse him would be to tacitly endorse his father's performance as Dumbledore, which was awful.

There was indeed a very annoying performance of Dumbledore in some of the films.

But it was films 3 and 4 where I was the most annoyed by him.

Several moments there that were completely out of character.

Thankfully Gambon got a bit better by the end.

I reckon he's a good actor and I've liked him in a few other roles I've seen him in.

But not really that one....

Heh, 3 is my favorite Dumbledore performance, the film where I thought, "Yes! They finally got Dumbledore right!"

I've had Dumbledore debates with so many people over so many years, we all have different weird preferences!

Cuaron seems to have had a very clear idea for what he wanted Dumbledore to be. And Michael Gambon was perfectly suited for it.

Newell had no clue and had him shouting all the time, which was really weird. 

In Yates' films, Dumbledore was just sort of... there.

Gambon seems to mostly have gone by what the directors told him to do.

I didn't like Dumbledore giving a lecture in Azkaban. That wasn't in the book and felt really quite out of character to me.

And the tie in his beard and silly hat always looked strange to me as well.

Plus he never got round to explaining anything of what he should have done.

None of those are faults with Gambon as actor.

More related to my general dissatisfaction with Azkaban altogether.

That movie might have been made with the best of intentions, but there were many moments that seemed misguided at best.

The same applies though to all the subsequent sequels.

OotP and HBP less though than the others.

They could've done Deathly Hallows in a single movie and satisfied me.  But I know the vast rabble that was mad about things like SPEW being excised don't agree with me.

Bah.  Jared Harris should have been cast as Dumbledore; Richard Harris was a perfect Dumbledore and Gambon really screwed it all up.

Azkaban the film is the best film if you can avoid thinking about the books entirely, but its definitely bollocks at covering the interesting and important parts of the book that tie into the series as a whole, which actually started a trend that the rest of the film series did.

Richard Harris was a shit Dumbledore.  S-H-I-T.  Boring cliche interpretation of a wizard with no spark or anything interesting going in.  He just spit out his lines in a monotone rasp.  I know many people prefer Harris, but I've never really been able to understand their POV.

55 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I didn't like Dumbledore giving a lecture in Azkaban. That wasn't in the book and felt really quite out of character to me.

And the tie in his beard and silly hat always looked strange to me as well.

Plus he never got round to explaining anything of what he should have done.

Hm what do you mean by a "lecture"?  I can't think of anything that stuck out to me that was out of character, lecturing/imparting wisdom to the kids was half of DD's function in the books.

The odd fashion never bothered me, considering this is a character who showed up in his first appearance in the first book wearing high-heeled boots and was perfectly comfortable wearing Professor Sprout's flowery bonnet for Christmas dinner. POA Dumbledore was the only time we really ever saw that silly, flamboyant side of him in the films outside of little nods to stuff like the "knitting patterns" in HBP.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Jason, so Jared Harris should have been cast because...he's family?

What a silly thing to say. Did you want Jason Connery to play 007 at one point?

I didn't say that; I simply think Jared Harris is a good actor and would make an excellent Dumbledore.  Then I talked about how I prefer daddy Harris's take on Dumbledore over Gambon's, because Stu said he liked Gambon's better.

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Richard Harris was a shit Dumbledore.  S-H-I-T.  Boring cliche interpretation of a wizard with no spark or anything interesting going in.  He just spit out his lines in a monotone rasp.  

Neither Harris or Gambon really committed to the role, essentially doing whatever the director wanted.

Compare them to Rickman, who really brought something to the table and give a consistent characterization regardless of who was the director.

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I might just be saying this because I'm a fanboy, but honestly I think DD's characterization lost something when Williams left. A lot of the calm gentleness of Harris's more memorable moments arguably owes a lot to the music (Erised, Love Harry, Fawkes), and I think Williams brings out a lot of the "twinkly" charm and light wisdom that comes across for me with Gambon in 3....the "Happiness can be found" line with the comforting but mysterious Double Trouble on recorders, or "Secrets of the Castle" under the short musing on dreams. The fluidity of Cuaron's camera helps too of course. I dunno, Dumbledore lost a certain expressiveness in the films after that.

This I can get behind.

I really just think Harris was too feeble for the role.  If there's one thing Dumbledore never was characterized as by Rowling, it was feeble.  Gambon's performances may vary across the movies, but he always was able to put across a fiery youthfulness that belied his aged appearance.  Harris' Dumbledore seemed like he'd be needing a cane soon.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I'd say they managed to recapture that for a brief moment in The Half-Blood Prince, during the In Noctem scene.

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to there (one of the Pensieve scenes?) but I actually like the little sentimental motif that Hooper brought in twice at the end, the string melody that begins both "Journey to the Cave" and "The Killing of Dumbledore". The harmonization in the latter is epecially effective when Dumbles says "Trust me" to Harry...that sort of emotional undercurrent feels oddly absent in his character throughout a lot of 4-6 to me.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Hm what do you mean by a "lecture"?  I can't think of anything that stuck out to me that was out of character, lecturing/imparting wisdom to the kids was half of DD's function in the books.

Imparting wisdom and lecturing aren't the same thing, I reckon.

His story about "remembering to turn on the lights" didn't really feel right to me.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

The odd fashion never bothered me, considering this is a character who showed up in his first appearance in the first book wearing high-heeled boots and was perfectly comfortable wearing Professor Sprout's flowery bonnet for Christmas dinner. POA Dumbledore was the only time we really ever saw that silly, flamboyant side of him in the films outside of little nods to stuff like the "knitting patterns" in HBP.

Fair point.

Truth be told, that bit doesn't really bother me so much either.