Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

I actually really enjoyed the first Fantastic Beasts, and thought it added to the Potter mythology appropriately. This looks better though. Hogwarts, cool. Also hopefully JNH delivers the goods again, I really enjoyed his score to the first. 

3 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I actually really enjoyed the first Fantastic Beasts, and thought it added to the Potter mythology appropriately. This looks better though. Hogwarts, cool. Also hopefully JNH delivers the goods again, I really enjoyed his score to the first. 

JNH is definitely the one keeping it alive for me, I hope he does them all. It'll be cool to see how he does the Paris stuff in this one.

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Harry only hooks up with Ginny because she reminds him of Ron

18 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Ginny in the movies = :sleepy:

I don't know about the books.

She's not much better. I couldn't understand the fan hype for her. If she had more to do in PoA, GoF and OotP, I might have cared.

2 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

I haven't read any. I just think it's sexy.

I honestly thought JKR should've paired Harry with Hermione.

I kinda get where you're coming from with Draco/Hermione.

I would have wanted Harry and Hermione too. It would be so romantic, a Muggle couple that got to know each other in the wizarding world. Didn't JKR say herself she would have preferred H and H recently?

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Her plotting is extra-ordinarily good, her actual writing leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed. Her prose is average but by God does she know how to tell a story with compelling characters.

There's more to storytelling than just "compelling characters". There's the sense of escalation which, granted, she has got better at over time, but still I find her writing to be languid, at times; there's the need for every narrative element to have narrative utility, which entails planting-and-payoff mechanisms, which she often eschews in her writing, etc...

I actually think she might be more suited to screen-writing than novels because screenwriting can hide her weakness with prose.

The last 3 HP books are so disastrously written writing wise - they have decent plots but I can't in good faith call them good books because the writing is so abysmal. 

She basically hit the jackpot too soon in her career. She's now bigger than big so nobody's gonna say no to her and even her first draft is going to get printed and make millions. So she will never learn. Writers who hit success late have the time and opportunity to refine themselves.

I would say the opposite is true. Generally, in film, narrative issues tend to present themselves more clearly than in a book, so when a book has some small narrative defects, you can look past them, whereas in adapting that book to the big screen those issues stick out like a sore thumb.

But because of Rowling's position as a producer, and now screenwriter, and because she in fact did not have her books mapped out, the screenwriters in charge of adapting her works were too often too timid to attempt and improve upon her source material in the process of the adaptation, as they should have.

I think the problem always exist when you are adapting a story where you don't know the end.

Same is true for GoT. Once the series is over and the over-arching story has been revealed and made clear, presumably a dense, concise, compact, tight and engaging movie series could be made. Because you would be able to excise all extraneous characters and subplots and focus on the meat of the story thus yielding a richer experience. 

I feel the opposite to you about writing for films and books. In the books - it is only and only your writing. In film, a lot of bells and whistles can mask poor writing - specially great editing and great direction. So novels reveal more weaknesses in a writer than film. 

25 minutes ago, Holko said:

That was only an issue in the first two films, the later ones (especially 5 and onwards*) deviated too far from her plots and left out a lot of early plantings in favour of stupid shit, and so written themselves into the corner when having to pay them off in the finale, so a lot of stuff comes completely out of nowhere. e.

Far be it from me to defend the last film - I do think its quite a let-down. But I do find that I like the later films (from 3 going forward) more than the first two, which I know stuck very close to the book.

I stopped reading Harry Potter after a while, and I even only watched the later film adaptations very recently, so my point of view on the subject is an entirely cinematic one. If I watch a film and like it, whether it is like the source material or not is a none-issue. Adaptations exist to serve the film, not the source material.

Even in the last film, I find most of the issues to stem from what at least seems like sticking to the source material, rather than from changes: I don't take issue with the splitting of the book into two features, for instance. But I do take issue when something is planted but isn't payed off:  We learn that Bellatrix killed Neville's parents, only for her to be killed by Mrs. Wisley? A more audacious (read: a better) screenwriter will have changed that, but JK Rowling wouldn't have any of that.

I don't recall too much of the films' finer plot points, but I certainly don't recall them not making sense. I suppose there may have been some continuity issues, but nothing that drew my attention too much.

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

In other words, if you deviate from the source, do it well and in a way which makes sense and is followable.

There's no "if" here. Few and far between are the books that read like a screenplay. Most of the time, books are written with an ebb-and-flow that is fundementaly different to that of a film, and in that case making changes (beyond just abridging the book) is not an "if" - its a given.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

She basically hit the jackpot too soon in her career. She's now bigger than big so nobody's gonna say no to her and even her first draft is going to get printed and make millions. So she will never learn. Writers who hit success late have the time and opportunity to refine themselves.

Yes

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Yeah, but 6-8 must make no sense if you haven't read the books. Just an example: In book 6, H&D watch a memory where young Tom Riddle plays nice to Hepzibah Smith, who owns the Goblet of Hufflepuff. D theorises that Voldy loves collecting trophies and loves Hogwarts, one of the horcruxes is likely this goblet. In the movie they don't have this memory because... they needed the time for the burning of the Burrow only for it to have not a dent in the next one, I dunno. Now, in book 7, Harry knows what he's looking for in the Gringotts Vault, but in 8 the movie, he just kind of gets in there because maybe something's there. Then suddenly Voldy happens to think of the goblet and Harry happens to see it. What is that goblet? Why is it important? Does Voldemort have any reason he made it important? Does he have any character at all beyond a weird speaking manner? Who cares, we gotta get to the part where they chase Nagini for an hour while Harry and Voldemort fly around the castle wrestling in black smoke!

In other words, if you deviate from the source, do it well and in a way which makes sense and is followable.

This is 100% true. I have some friends who tried watching the latter films but found them absolutely confounding and gave up. I think the film's can still be enjoyed for the spectacle and the basic archetypal lead characters - you know clearly who the good guys and the bad guys are - so can roughly follow even if you do not understand the entire plot. 

Plots in films are rarely as complicated as they can get in books.

11 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Man that's a kinky fanfic waiting to happen.

There are numerous Draco/Hermione ones out there. 

There's a disturbing amount of Snape/Hermione fic too.

18 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I would say the opposite is true. Generally, in film, narrative issues tend to present themselves more clearly than in a book, so when a book has some small narrative defects, you can look past them, whereas in adapting that book to the big screen those issues stick out like a sore thumb.

But because of Rowling's position as a producer, and now screenwriter, and because she in fact did not have her books mapped out, the screenwriters in charge of adapting her works were too often too timid to attempt and improve upon her source material in the process of the adaptation, as they should have.

What? Each of the directors maintained a working relationship, were briefed and had constant consultation from Rowling, the direction the series took and the quality of the films we got is entirely down to that collaboration, and in many cases it was Rowling who had the opportunity to improve her own work. 

14 hours ago, Matt C said:

There are numerous Draco/Hermione ones out there. 

There's a disturbing amount of Snape/Hermione fic too.

The kinkiest might be the Ginny/James potter fanfic. Might add an oedipus angle to the story.

Holko, that bit about the Horcruxes in film 8 doesn't really hold up because in the films, they just make Harry capable of hearing Horcruxes. The only problem that's left then is, why didn't he hear the diary in the second movie? I do agree that it's very unfortunate that we never got more than two flashbacks into Voldy's past, though.

And speaking of problems, I've been re-reading POA and just discovered two huge plot problems:

1. Why did Fred and George never spot Pettigrew on the map?

2. When they are preparing to have Sirius Kissed, why can't someone just give Sirius Veritaserum to check whether all the prattling about Pettigrew being alive is true or not? That's what every constitutional state would do, right?

1. Maybe they weren't looking or didn't care.

2. These books sometimes read like a prose version of The Simpsons and the Wizarding World is some bizarre satire land like Springfield, so the wizarding authorities have a Mayor Quimby/Chief Wiggum/Skinner "GET HIM!" mentality.