Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

When Newt was expelled Dumbledore protested his innocence so there’s probably some sort of bond there already.

I think he did the same with Hagrid, no? And he later trusted Hagrid with lots of important and confidential tasks.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:37 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

Interesting trailer. Too bad they didn't use JNH's main theme and stuck to Williams' theme for the trailer.

Last Saturday, I saw a version of a trailer that had both the JW and JNH themes in it.

Hedwig, I had kind of expected; but JNH too was truly a massive surprise to me!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post the same thing myself but I was so bored just looking at that poster, I couldn't be bothered.

Guess it's a perfect encapsulation of everything David Yates represents. Stale, monotone, flat, uninteresting, lifeless, bland, colourless, derivitive, uninspired, etc. 

I don't despise Yates, I just feel he had his time. If Cuaron was ever asked I'd hope he might direct one of the FB films, or someone who isn't Yates.

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

He completely disregards Rowling's vision and intentions and goes against what the real OG fans want! 

She seems to be pretty ok with it since she works as a producer on the films. 

If you've seen the interview with her and Steve Kloves from 2011 you'll see how she is with changes from the source material. This is the only place I've seen much dislike for Yates, it's definitely over the top. 

Yeah and quite clearly my posts are tinged with exaggerated sarcasm. I obviously don't think David Yates is some abomination of a director, just that I feel the franchise would benefit from fresh blood. Six films in a row from the same director? C'mon. He's very one-note and uninspired visually. And that boring-as-batshit poster follows suit. 

I guess you could say it's similar to Mattris' comedic parody of the toxic anti-Kathleen Kennedy, anti-Rian Johnson, anti-Disney troll persona. It's biting satire you rarely see outside The Onion. His ability to stay in character has certainly impressed me. 

Ah sorry, I stay out of that thread because the guy is a fucking loony. 

I actually enjoy the consistency of having one director in charge all the time. It gives the world a more consistent feel.

26 minutes ago, crumbs said:

He's very one-note and uninspired visually.

Again, not true. While Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban is the most inventive with regards to camera movement, its David Yates' Half-Blood Prince that boasts the most well-composed imagery, with regards to framing.

And like @Bilbo I enjoy it when a single filmmaker is allowed to craft a franchise in its entirety: both on the grounds of consistency, and by simply allowing such a filmmaker to paint on such a large canvas.

It's called an opinion Chen G. I find his films compositionally dull with very little scenery to chew on, which is completely at odds with the "magical" universe he's supposed to be painting. Glad to hear it works for you but, for me, nothing he's done has come close to the genius of Cuaron (but who has?) 

I'm not entirely sure that I like Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban more than Yates' Order of the Phoenix.

And as the films progress, it holds that this magical world would be presented in a more matter-of-fact way. I find it much more effective than Columbus' camera closing-up on every bit of magic and every magical artifact.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'm not entirely sure that I like Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban more than Yates' Order of the Phoenix.

Die.

source.gif

I will agree with you @Chen G. that at least there's a consistency to Yates' work, but is it worth it for films that look visually bland and lifeless?

I don't think that they look bland in the slightest: his framing is great, and he isn't too extreme with the digital grading - that dishonor goes to The Goblet of Fire.

I especially like some of the photographical choices in his Deathly Hallows Part 1. The more frenetic camerawork serves as a good visual representation of the characters' wandering, and I like some of the small touches like the harsh, fluorescent light during the fight with the snake.

I think lots of people around here mistake grim and depressing for "lifeless" or "souless". That a story is a downer, doesn't make it a lesser.

I didn't imply that Yates' Potter films were @Chen G. just that the magic and joie de vivre for the series as a whole was drained, not just by Yates, but a a whole host of cinematographic changes that affected the visuals. Something tells me that Yates enjoys grey, washed out, dull looking films.

There are certain sequences in Order of the Phoenix I think are spectacular, several artistic choices that Yates made that stand out from the rest of the series. I would say Half-Blood Prince really takes to Yates' style as the story is darker, and demands that grey visual palette that Fantastic Beasts would later be draped in for some reason. 

Look, I totally get the "life being drained out of the Potter world" excuse for those films. It served as a metaphor for the storyline unfolding. My issue is that you can create a "darker" film visually without just pressing the desaturate button on the whole image, which is incredibly lazy (and Yates has it down to a fine art). And once again, I only need to point towards what Cuaron did with the visuals in Azkaban to demonstrate how it can be done.

Secondly, that excuse no longer washes when he's continuing with the same flat, drab, lifeless and colourless approach in these new movies. He clearly just prefers shooting these practically grayscale visuals. Fine, whatever. I just don't like it!

At least his taste in music has improved.

To me, the measure of a film's visual style is less in the color palette and more in the filmmaker's choices of how to stage the frames, where to place the camera and when and how to move the camera. It may be less easy for the uninitiated to hang onto (at least conciously) but none the less these are the bare essentials of directing, NOT the choice of saturation level.

In those senses, David Yates is a good filmmaker.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

magic and joie de vivre for the series as a whole was drained

Yes. Appropriately so!

Funny that WB paid the big money to get Johnny Depp in their franchise and then doesn't put his face on the poster

Yeah, he’s was on Potter, then did Tarzan, and then went into Fantastic Beasts... when was he supposed to do something else? He’ll have spent most of the year in CoG post and then onto pre-prod for FB3 which starts filming next summer...

He had other projects that he was developing as well before Beasts interrupted. I recall a WWII film and a drama with Emma Watson.

And to his credit, that Tarzan film did respectable box-office despite being predicted DOA by entertainment journalists, analysts and the like. So he’s doing something right.

In my opinion he limits the potential of every films he directs which is frustrating for me as a massive HP fan. Just think it’s time to inject some fresh ideas into the franchise.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Funny that WB paid the big money to get Johnny Depp in their franchise and then doesn't put his face on the poster

I’m glad they didn’t.  Honestly, despite my affection for the books and movies, his presence is literally almost enough to make me pass on this movie.

But he is on the posters, he even has his own 'character' poster' with him in the centre - the latest one has his back facing the front - lust like his first appearance in FB1.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like Crimes of Grindelwald is the first film of the Harry Potter series to have a “rotten” score on Rotten Tomatoes, debuting at 54%. 

I was not expecting that. 

Aggregate scores tend to settle on some early number and then,  as more reviews come in, gradually go down - not up.

Doesn't impress me, though: Rotten or not, I'll probably still like it more than The Chamber of Secrets. That is, if I'd be inclined to watch it.

I adore the first film but as soon as Depp appeared at the end, I didn't like where it was going to go. I still think Colin Farrel was brilliant and should have been Grindelwald. We need a proper menacingly creepy performance from a villain in the Potter universe, and Farrell did that perfectly in the first film, but Depp immediately became a cartoon with his overall look and performance.