Bilbo Skywalker

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

1709 posts in this topic

It'd be like making a The Fauna And Flora of Middle-Earth movie. WTF?

Haven't you heard? That's what the new trilogy will be based on, 10 years from now. It'll be shot in front of the massive green screen in Peter Jackson's basement and will be scored by Plan 9.

This sounds like a tired attempt to milk the cash cow as many have said here. Isn't Rowling rich enough already? I would be interested in this only if JW returned to score the movie(s).

She owes her livelihood to Harry Potter, and she doesn't need the money anymore. For example, the royalties generated from the Harry Potter tie-in books and Cuckoo's Calling go to related charities.

Before she hit it big, she was writing for herself (and she still does, that's why she published Cuckoo's Calling under a pseudonym). I don't think she'd dip back in the HP well unless there was a story she really wanted to tell -- and not because she caved to pressure and a massive paycheck.

Yeah, she famously came from a humbling place of poverty and depression and I've never had the impression from her that she's forgotten it or become obsessed with wealth and fame. She seems to be as generous and well-grounded as anyone with millions of pounds can be.

Well, my guess would be that the process went something like this:

WB wanted more HP money

WB already had the rights to the Magical Creatures and Quidditch books, from back when they purchased the rights to the entire series

WB decided to proceed with a film based on the Magical Creatures book, as they didn't have a lot of other options

WB reached out to JK Rowling to see if she would like to be involved in some capacity

JKR realized the film would happen no matter what, and decided to protect it as best she could by signing on as screenwriter

Whatever happened, I feel convinced that WB is in it for $$$ and JKR is in it because it's her baby.

I wasn't sure if they had the rights to the Magical Creatures book, but if that's true, then that may very well be what happened. Hopefully a great idea really did come with it, but yeah, I suspect that she realized they had found a way to milk the cash cow further, and if that was to happen, she at least wanted any creative shortcomings to be her fault, rather than sit back and watch Time Warner executives suck all the personality out of it.

Be careful when praising the original series creator for getting more control over his or her franchise. Sometimes it doesn't turn out as well as you'd hope.

Koray Savas likes this

Everyone trying to have creative control of a franchise is automatically the worst thing that could happen to that franchise.

You know, if they had an interesting premise to go on, I wouldn't be so cynical. But the idea they're going for really makes it seem like this will be another "Percy Jackson" with improved visuals and a bigger budget....pathetic. But I guess we'll just have to see how it turns out.

I think it sounds more like an Indiana Jones-ish movie set in the 20's - and starting in New York. Scamander is an explorer of magical beasts.

Well, my guess would be that the process went something like this:

WB wanted more HP money

WB already had the rights to the Magical Creatures and Quidditch books, from back when they purchased the rights to the entire series

WB decided to proceed with a film based on the Magical Creatures book, as they didn't have a lot of other options

WB reached out to JK Rowling to see if she would like to be involved in some capacity

JKR realized the film would happen no matter what, and decided to protect it as best she could by signing on as screenwriter

Whatever happened, I feel convinced that WB is in it for $$$ and JKR is in it because it's her baby.

They don't own the right to those books, so that can't be what happened. I think it happened like this:

- WB wanted more HP money.

- WB thought about basing a movie on the Magical Creatures book, as that's some of the only material available.

- WB reached out to J.K. Rowling to see if they could get the rights to do it.

- JKR happened to have a bit of background information about the character and came up with a story that intrigued her.

- As she said herself she pitched her idea to WB who accepted it (they would probably accept any JKR-pitch, because of $$$).

But I agree, I think WB is in it for the money and JKR is in it for the story.

Anyone that tries to kickstart a franchise anew is automatically pathetic.

Studios have to make money... and if they can find a way to restart a reliable franchise, I don't blame them.

No one (including you) doesn't have to see it, if you don't want to.

Well I'm just making a response to a post on this thread. No one (including you) have to reply, if you don't want to.

I couldn't find I relevant thread but this was the best I could find. It suddenly dawned on me that there's more Potter films coming (I had totally forgotten about this) after watching an interview with JK Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe (which was very interesting and they seem very down to earth). I've been really frustrated learning about the possibility of JW scoring HP 7 pt 2 that never happened. His music for the first three films is so incredibly special. What if he was able to do one more score for his universe,? Sure it's a spin off with completely different characters but he could still work his wonders with the magical sound, and perhaps again let other composers take the music with further films. If he's on board for the new Star Wars then I remain hopeful for HP.

No, the story only stars in New York during the 1920's or 30's. I think it's going to move on from there.

No, the story only stars in New York during the 1920's or 30's. I think it's going to move on from there.

Well I'm not wrong then.

Ah, I'll give it a chance first. It could be stupid but it's a little early to write anything off just yet.

Who in their right minds would think that it's a great idea to make an adaptation of a bestiary book? It's such an obvious "milking the cow till it's dead" move, it's not even funny.

It'd be like making a The Fauna And Flora of Middle-Earth movie. WTF?

Clearly she's going to be writing a plot about a character who is written about in that textbook.

It's really not a stupid idea at all. The studio will be guaranteed to make money and Harry Potter fans get the chance to see more films and have JK Rowling write more in the Harry Potter world. People who complain about milking things need to get over it and just not watch it and let fans enjoy something that could turn out to be good.

Emma Watson interviewed Rowling in a magazine recently, and they talked a bit about the script.

Emma: I wanted to ask you about the script that you are writing for Warner Bros. for Fantastic Beasts…

Rowling: So when Warner Bros. came to me and said they wanted to make a film out of the book I had this simultaneous feeling of “it has a lot of potential,” and another feeling of slight panic that “I know some things about Newt and I don’t want you to ruin that for me!” because I knew who he was. So then I went away and sort of dwelt on what I knew about Newt, not intending to write a script but just trying to collect my thoughts so that I could at least give them the backstory I’d imagined, so that their vision was true to what I knew.

Then I really did have one of those moments that always make you phenomenally excited as a writer; but also that you know is going to end up being a ton of work. I thought, “Oh my God, a whole plot’s just descended on me!” But I wanted to do it as I was really excited about it. I wasn’t really thinking about writing the script myself, I thought, you know, I’ll give them this plot and then – fatally – I sat down and thought “I just wonder what it would look like…” and wrote a rough draft in twelve days!

Emma: Ahhhhh!

Rowling: It wasn’t a great draft but it did show the shape of how it might look. So that is how it all started.

Emma: Wow, Warner Bros. must have been so excited.

Rowling: I think they were kind of stunned. I didn’t tell them I had written it in twelve days. I’ve never written a script. It truly wasn’t that I thought I’d be good at it, I just wanted to get the outline of the story down, and that’s obviously given me a lot to work with going forward.

To be honest I'd rather she wrote a book series about Newt before writing a film series. I wonder how child oriented it will be, seeing as the Harry Potter series originated as a child's book.

Her adult crime novel (published under a pseudonym), Cuckoo's Calling, is good. Haven't finished it yet, but it is a good read thus far. Frankly, I'm surprised none of the studios have optioned it for a film adaptation.

They're circling the book, but I think they'll probably start bidding once the sequel hits store shelves this June.

I haven't heard many ideas for movies that are as stupid as this. I hope Williams won't waste his time on this.

He already has another overwrought franchise to carry to its deathbed.

I haven't heard many ideas for movies that are as stupid as this. I hope Williams won't waste his time on this.

He already has another overwrought franchise to carry to its deathbed.

Did JKR share the script with you? Do share. I mean, it's like you haven't read it...

SafeUnderHill likes this

Yeah, Finke's definitely legit. I'm just somewhat surprised that he's actually going for it since he's talked about wanting to do something smaller after Gravity (though that's also what he said after Children of Men...) but at any rate, I guess chances for a Williams score are slightly higher.

Maybe J.K.R. approached him and told him about the story. Perhaps that changed his mind about him doing a smaller film after Gravity.

The Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite film of the saga so I hope this news is true, wouldn't it be awesome if he got Williams back on board (after he was unable to score the final Potter film). That would mean we could be getting a new Star Wars and a new Potter score from him in the future!

Maybe J.K.R. approached him and told him about the story. Perhaps that changed his mind about him doing a smaller film after Gravity.

They did really seem to hit it off when they were promoting Prisoner of Azkaban and I think he does have a natural affinity with her writing style, particularly her sense of humor. I can see why he'd be interested, and I do think that Hollywood can definitely use someone like him making tentpole/genre films at the moment.

And yeah, while I still don't think Williams is particularly likely, I think this news at least keeps him in the conversation. I kind of feel like if it ends up being a Potter vet, though, then it'll be either Doyle or Desplat.

Cuarón is hard to predict with music, he's used Doyle a couple times, who is also familiar with the Potter universe obviously, Price won an Oscar but is untested in this type of complexity and style, and on two movies he didn't use a composer (used existing music on Children of Men and Y Tu Mamá También). So you wonder if he would feel compelled to ask Williams based on that one collaboration. It's definitely not automatic.

Yeah, exactly. He might reteam with Williams or Doyle, he might give Price a chance at scoring this type of film. I could see him bringing on Desplat or even someone else entirely. I don't think David Heyman is that fussed about music, either. Judging by the Potter films, he's pretty hands-off and tends to leave most creative and personnel choices to director preference.

I think Doyle or Price are more likely to end up scoring this, but Williams would be fantastic. In the hands of other director I wouldn't be so trusty, but if Cuarón takes the reins, the musical possibilities could be quite promising.

Oh, definitely. I'm more curious whether Cuaron and DP Emmanuel Lubiezki will go back to 35mm for Fantastic Beasts or keep the Arri Alexa digital camera they used for Gravity.