Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

They kind of just kept taking it further and further with each movie. In GOF the smoke was basically just them coming out of the Dark Mark, essentially Apparition as you say. In OOTP it's sort of Apparition and sort of just Bellatrix flying around, but I don't think it's used in combat (maybe a little in the prophecy room). In HBP it's clearly more than Apparition because they're using their smoke clouds to destroy things like the bridge and the Burrow. And then by DH it's basically all of the above and more. 

On 11/29/2016 at 0:45 PM, Disco Stu said:

All that flying around in the movies was complete invention of Yates and/or Kloves wasn't it? Rowling never had Death Eaters flying around as black smoke clouds in my memory.  Voldemort maybe, I can't remember.

On 11/29/2016 at 1:06 PM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Fairly certain his ability to fly is mentioned in Deathly Hallows. 

Yeah, in the book Voldemort shows up flying during the sky battle and it's made out to be this shocking thing that he's learned how to do, they're all freaked out about it when they land at the Burrow. In the movie, it's a non-issue because everybody does it.

That's a light deviation from the magic she lays out in the books that I can take.  What sends me into apoplectic anger is Voldemort turning to ash and floating away when he dies.

As I suspected, I've commented on this before:

On 7/8/2016 at 11:27 AM, Disco Stu said:

Honestly just Voldemort's death scene was enough to make me hate the Deathly Hallows Part 2 movie forever and ever.  It was the exact opposite of Rowling's intention from the novel and completely ruins the entire effing point. He's not supposed to evaporate into magical ashes or whatever.  It was such a powerful image from the novel that his was just another dead body in the end that they put into a different room, separate from the casualties of the battle. Gaaah.

Supposing this film is before Grindelwald steals the Elder Wand from Gregorovitch, why is Grindelwald Johnny Depp and thirty years older than he was portrayed in DH Pt.2? 

It seems to me that he would have it already, because he's about Dumbledore's age and DD is supposedly in his 40s or something at this point, and we know she described Grindelwald as a young man when he stole it. Also he supposedly used it to terrorize Europe which he's already begun. 

So I feel like he actually would have it at this point, but I've seen a lot of people theorizing about what's going on with the Elder Wand and why we never saw it. I hope he does have possession of it even he never used it, because I saw someone mention that since Newt captures (and I think disarms?) Graves at the end, that means he could actually unknowingly be the master now going into the sequel. Which would be pretty cool.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

It seems to me that he would have it already, because he's about Dumbledore's age and DD is supposedly in his 40s or something at this point, and we know she described Grindelwald as a young man when he stole it. Also he supposedly used it to terrorize Europe which he's already begun. 

So I feel like he actually would have it at this point, but I've seen a lot of people theorizing about what's going on with the Elder Wand and why we never saw it. I hope he does have possession of it even he never used it, because I saw someone mention that since Newt captures (and I think disarms?) Graves at the end, that means he could actually unknowingly be the master now going into the sequel. Which would be pretty cool.

Yes, however it would seem more likely he didn't have the Elder Wand purely to keep up appearances as Percival Graves.

If that theory is true about Newt disarming Grindelwald, it would lend credence (pun intended) to how Dumbeldore was able to defeat Grindelwald in 1945, if he wasn't the true master of the wand. However to me it still seems like a stretch.

I seriously doubt he was captured purely by the aurors of MACUSA, more like letting his guard down, with his intent to be captured and then escape at a more convenient time?

3 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

That's almost exactly the same as whem Draco Margot unknowingly became the master when he disarmed Dumbledore in HBP

It's best to completely ignore the films when it comes to the ages of characters. Harry's parents were 21 when they died and look at them in the films. Snape, Lupin, Sirius and Wormtail are all meant to be the same age (late 30s).

On 11/29/2016 at 4:08 PM, Disco Stu said:

That's a light deviation from the magic she lays out in the books that I can take.  What sends me into apoplectic anger is Voldemort turning to ash and floating away when he dies.

As I suspected, I've commented on this before:

If you look hard enough on the Internet you'll actually find a behind-the-scenes image of Voldemort's death shot "correctly": Harry standing over his dead body. But I guess the flashy CGI route was more appealing to them.

On 12/7/2016 at 1:26 AM, BloodBoal said:

Of course they are aware both characters were in love, but that was still just something briefly mentioned in the books (and barely mentioned in the films too). Are they ready for a two-hour love story between two old men? Won't they just want the two to fight each other? "Yeah, Avada Kedavra the shit out of him!" "Careful Dumby! Come on, kick Depp's ass!"

Plus, will they manage to make the love story between the two believable? I mean, if they do get Jared Harris as Dumbledore, could we believe in a love story between Jared Harris and Johnny Depp? Harris could pull it off, but Depp...

Just need to point out that at no stage is it implied that Grindelwald reciprocated Dumbledore's romantic feelings at all. Essentially only part of Dumbledore's obsession with Grindelwald was romantic, others were more to do with talent and power. Grindelwald appears to be a bit of a psychopath, so I can imagine he may have used Dumbledore's obsession in his favour but I very much doubt we'll see any kind of love story. I'm more interested in seeing it played out in subtext, which could be really great if they get the perfect actor for DD

14 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Just need to point out that at no stage is it implied that Grindelwald reciprocated Dumbledore's romantic feelings at all. Essentially only part of Dumbledore's obsession with Grindelwald was romantic, others were more to do with talent and power. Grindelwald appears to be a bit of a psychopath, so I can imagine he may have used Dumbledore's obsession in his favour but I very much doubt we'll see any kind of love story. I'm more interested in seeing it played out in subtext, which could be really great if they get the perfect actor for DD

I always thought exactly this. Is there any actual confirmation that Grindlewald himself is gay?

No, she's never said anything one way or another about Grindelwald's sexual preferences. She might change it, who knows, but she's always portrayed it as an unrequited love story. I remember there was an interview where she referred to DD as "possibly the 150 year old virgin."

Also the "Life and Lies of Dumbledore" chapter in Deathly Hallows said they never met again after their teenage years until their duel (but since that info was from Rita Skeeter, I think there would be room there for some kind of secret meeting.) But it could make the Dumbledore stuff rather interesting going forward, especially since the Rita Skeeter excerpt says that he hesitated to go after Grindelwald for a long time. There's probably stuff in that chapter and Aberforth's story that she'll draw from and elaborate on.

Hello people in this thread, I saw the film on Saturday and here are my thoughts

Just now, Jay said:

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Not bad, not bad.  It's a nice change of pace from the last 4 Harry Potter movies; It has more fun and is less dour than those.  But it's still not perfect.  I liked the 1920's New York setting, I liked that all the main characters are adults instead of children, I liked the world building and all the little things going on in the background a lot of times.  The story was also fine, nothing special or grandiose, but not at all a retread of any Harry Potter stories.  I actually think JK Rowling figured out a pretty good script here, though I think a different director would have made a better film out of it.

The small nods to details from the original HP stories didn't feel forced in, they were just kinda there, which was nice.  Also, Yates still loves his swirling clouds of black goo stuff, which was such a stupid choice for depicting the Death Eaters in the old films, but works very well here for depicting the Obscurus (hopefully he's gotten this out of his system now!).  I really enjoyed just about all the main characters, though Tina, Queenie, and Jacob were MUCH better than Newt.  I actually like very much that we finally have a main character who is not only already a wizard, but grew up in the wizarding world, and is confident in his powers.  Of course it made perfect sense for the HP stories to have Harry be a "fish out of water" and have to learn as he went on, etc, but its a nice change to pace to skip past all that for this story.  I didn't really like Eddie Redmayne's peformance, though.  He was too nebbish, always looking down at hte ground instead of in people's eyes, mumbling too much, etc.  There was one or 2 times when he perked up and used his magic in an extremely confident way, but there wasn't enough of that.  Again I think Rowling wrote the character well, and a different actor would have embodied the character better.

I also really like one thing Yates actually pulled off for me:

Reveal hidden contents

It's far from a perfect film, and almost all of the bad points can be pointed at Yates: It's still too dark, literally in terms of the brightness/darkness of the cinematography.  I would have liked for hte world to have been shown with more color before the big showdown with the obscurus darkened things.  I suppose the mini world inside Newt's case was brighter, and having the real work be darker highlights a contrast between the too, but I think each could have been made brighter and the effect still would have been there.

Also, I wasn't that bothered by

Reveal hidden contents

So overall, nothing to get too excited about, nothing I'll need to own on blu ray or watch again any time soon, but not a bad film, decent popcorn fun, and the start of a potentially interesting new series of movies.  They could easily blow things by movie 2 however; We'll see!

Oh, and I liked JNH's score in the film.  The themes were easy to pick up on and enjoyable when used for the characters they represent, etc.  The score comes across as one that JNH put a lot of effort into.  Looking forward to checking out the album again once I'm done listening to this week's two new Giacchino albums a bunch more times!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh, and I liked JNH's score in the film. The themes were easy to pick up on and enjoyable when used for the characters they represent, etc. The score comes across as one that JNH put a lot of effort into. Looking forward to checking out the album again once I'm done listening to this week's two new Giacchino albums a bunch more times!

A very strong effort from JNH, one of the best of the year.  I really can't wait to hear how he develops this sound and these themes for the sequel.

Haven't listened to the entire score yet in full, but what I've heard so far on the album and in the film is pretty darn good!

It may not be 100% perfect either, but clearly James Newton Howard gave it some serious effort and I do believe it paid off.

It is pretty much everything I would realistically dare for, since asking for full John Williams levels of excellence would definitely NOT be realistic.

As it is: I'm not complaining. Not. At. All! :D

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Random anecdote of the day: just rewatched Skyfall today and when Ben Whishaw showed up on screen, I couldn't help but think: "Hey, you know what? He would have been a fine Newt Scamander!" Possibly a better one than Redmayne.

Discuss!

tumblr_md8sj9thDD1rp382io1_r1_1280_f_imp

Anyone would have been preferable to Redmayne.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Really? So Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, the actor who playes The Mountain in the most recent seasons of Game Of Thrones would have made a better Newt Scamander?

That would have been awesome! He wouldn't need any magic wands, he'd kill men with his bare hands and crush theirs skulls like egg shells!

Yeah Conan was my favourite of the three actors to have portrayed him.

Just now, Stefancos said:

You Vikings are merciless, aren't you?

Quite.