Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

I must admit I found this movie to be a dud when I saw it today. Some cool ideas but the characters were just....nothing. Eddie Redmayne continues to be a scourge on our modern cinema. He really is just a creep (at least his screen presence, could be a lovely man irl).

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He really is just a creep (at least his screen presence, could be a lovely man irl).

Haha my mom thinks that too. 

While I do think the story and characters in this movie were woefully half-assed, I do also think the film would have been better with almost anybody else directing it.  This movie is so lacking in magic.  I'm genuinely saddened by how good it could have been with a more imaginative filmmaker at the helm.

I like this from Ignatiy Vishnevetsky's review:

his direction resembles an impersonally fastidious adaptation of a non-existent novel, more focused on hitting plot points to please the fans than on making anything out of them.

http://www.avclub.com/review/harry-potter-prequel-fantastic-beasts-and-where-fi-245909

And no, Yates is not daring at all.  Much like your point in the Giacchino/Doctor Strange thread, WB went with him because he's safe and will make them money.

Whatever about the story I wouldn't have said the characters were half arsed. 

The quartet all have unique personalities from one another and it's the first of five films. It's set up character arcs for them and the parts were well acted. 

Some of the supporting characters might be a bit one note but there's nothing unusual about that. Unlike most blockbusters (looking at you MCU) we know there's a bit of meat to the main villain. I also can't wait to see where they take Credence. (I think he might be a distant relative of Voldemort). 

I do like Kowalski quite a bit, there was real development and humanity there.  But the other three, the magical characters, all fell flat to me.  Katherine Waterston was probably as good as could be expected playing a character that never felt well-defined to me.  I maybe would have liked Newt more if he'd been played by any other actor, but I made my feelings on Redmayne clear: the worst, most annoying actor to become a "star" in many years.

Woah woah woah. You mentioned magical creatures. 

If you didnt think the Niffler was the single greatest thing in cinema history then I would ask you to leave and not come back. 

Cuarón was always the best guy they found for this kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure many people could do great things with the material, and it annoys me when big studios don't try to get the most out of the stuff they have. I mean, even Marvel tries that at times.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, we all know you like to buy useless fluff!

Did you receive your replica of Glamdring yet?

Yeah it's next to my replica lightsaber wand collection 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Redmayne is fine. At least, he's no Chris Pratt, the male equivalent of Jennifer Lawrence! (The fact that they ended up starring in a film together made me smile)

I understand Pratt's popularity at least.  Like with Lawrence, he's goofy and affable, and I've enjoyed him in GotG and hated him in JW.

Redmayne on the other hand just bothers me. I'm not an aggressive person, but my instinct is to punch him in the face.  It's that fucking one-sided smile with his Hugh Grant-esque "oh gosh" stammer/shyness.  He's like Hugh Grant without the genuine charm, which is just a serial killer.

I'm not saying any of this is rational.  Just my gut reaction to his screen presence.

I wonder what the naming convention for this series will be going forward.  Are they all going to be branded with 'Fantastic Beasts and...' or will the title of the sequel be completely different?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I wonder what the naming convention for this series will be going forward.  Are they all going to be branded with 'Fantastic Beasts and...' or will the title of the sequel be completely different?

Confirmed that they will be "Fantastic Beasts and..." going forward.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

http://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-beasts-sequel-titles/

Some of the stage directions in the screenplay fill in a few blanks but there's no deleted scenes or anything like that. It conforms to the finished film. 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Shame. I would have preferred the sequels to be titled "[Insert thing] and Where To Find Them"

Like:

"Trump Voters and Where To Find Them"

"Ghost Composers and Where To Find Them"

"Teasers For Trailers and Where To Find Them"

"Recording Sessions Leaks and Where To Find Them"

3 minutes ago, Brónach said:

They want Yates to do all? Meh.

I'm missing the existence of a book or books. Like the screenplay, not like the textbook.

It's so deeply, deeply frustrating that they don't see the need for a creative shakeup.  Nine Potterverse movies in a row directed by one dude?  I mean, how do you not see the need for fresh blood?!

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I so wish they'd bring in J.J.

I can tell you're making a joke, but even that would be ok with me.  I'm not an Abrams acolyte but he definitely has an interesting visual flair that he brings to his movies.  There is a style.

The person I've long stumped for to direct a Potter movie is Joe Wright.  Ever since I first saw his Pride & Prejudice ten years ago I've thought he'd be perfect for that world.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:
6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The person I've long stumped for to direct a Potter movie is Joe Wright.  Ever since I first saw his Pride & Prejudice ten years ago I've thought he'd be perfect for that world.

Interesting choice. I agree.

About Yates, I agree that I had the distinct impression that there was simply a much more entertaining version of this screenplay to be made...I think Yates and his editor have really weird rhythmic instincts that ends up weighing everything down. But I still think his direction is more sophisticated than pretty much anything that the Marvel crew turns up. That gets to be a problem, though, because he always goes after this stuff like its a Merchant-Ivory film when sometimes you just want the guy to indulge in the schlock. That's why Cuaron remains the best because he was the only one who really had an equal handle on both the gimmickry and sensitivity of Rowling's stories.

And I loved pretty much everything about Redmayne's performance, y'all are crazy! 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So far, only Mr. Stew said he doesn't like him. And we all know Mr. Stew is a peculiar individual.

Oh god I feel like I'm doing a bad Stefan impression but...

Stu!  It's Stu!!!

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh god I feel like I'm doing a bad Stefan impression but...

Stu!  It's Stu!!!

It's annoying when he does that, isnt it. And the problem is he will keep doing it from now on.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

For those interested and for whom, like me, it's been many years since they've read a Potter novel, this is helpful:

What the hell are those people wearing?