Sign in to follow this  
Hogwarts Forever

H e l l o !

Hello everyone!

I just joined the forums yesterday. So, some info about me: I live in California, I'm sixteen years old, and I've been a fan of Williams for quite a while now. I would think most teenagers my age listen to mainstream music/rap/etc., so I guess I'm not like the average teenager (I may be wrong). My favorite piece by John Williams "Hogwarts Forever," (hence the username)-- I would never harmonize some of it the way he does, and that's why it's so amazing! Plus the french horn quartet sounds really cool. Speaking of french horn, I play trumpet, and I have been for about eight years now. A lot of my life is band, I'm in my schools wind ensemble, marching band, and jazz band. In my free time (basically nonexistent now!) I like to play video games and [attempt] to compose music, and of course, John Williams is such an inspiration for me. His music is just so God dang amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But anyway, I have such a busy life now, especially with school and all, and since I'm in my junior year of high school now. Some of you may not believe me but at times I'm overwhelmed by the amount of work I have, because I'm taking a ton of college level courses this year. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I could just forget all of that and learn more about music and compose and maybe become like Williams (not possible, obviously) but I can't. My parents have a set path for me and I'm going to be an engineer. . .or doctor. . . not a composer, or musician, "Haha! They don't make any money!" say my mom and dad. Money? I don't think that really matters. I know I would enjoy a life of music, never mind the money.

I attended the concert in San Francisco this past Monday. I had just found out about it two days before-- I heard about it on the radio and thought "How could I have missed this!?!?!" I had looked online several months before to see if John Williams had any upcoming concerts, but I didn't find anything. I thought, I'm going to this concert no matter what! How could I pass up such an opportunity? Especially since I live about 45 minutes away from SF. So I went on to Craigslist and looked for tickets (because it was sold out), and found one for a seat in the fourth row from the stage. Because the concert was sold out and it was such a good seat, it was obscenely expensive [for a sixteen year old, at least]. But, I coughed up all the money I had saved up and my parents graciously payed the rest, and before I knew it, I was on my way to Davies hall in SF to see John freaking Williams. To say the least, the concert was truly surreal. I didn't care how much I payed for the ticket, because that Monday was the best day of my life. I'm extremely fortunate to have attended such an amazing event, and to top it off, Steven Spielberg was there too! And I don't know if this seems strange, but I just keep staring at William's head-- I thought, that's where it all came from; the most recognizable music in the world, the music that I listen to every single day. . .

Dang, this is a long introduction. But anyway. The only thing that I was disappointed about was that I didn't get to meet him, I remember I kept going over in my head what I would say to him, you're a genius Mr. Williams! That would have been awesome! So my next goal is to maybe talk to John Williams one day. It may not be possible, but who knows. . .

Sooooooo yeah.... :)

-HF

Welcome to the forums, Hogwarts Forever! You certainly named yourself after a fine piece of music!

Glad you enjoyed the concert! I wish I had started going to see him when I was 16...

Welcome to the messageboards HF! :)

And fantastic that you had the chance to attend the San Francisco concert, no doubt an unforgettable experience.

It's good to see that people as young as yourself HF are still becoming interested in this music. You say you're not like others your age, and maybe that's true for the most part, but there are still many teens out there who love this music. For example, a couple of weeks ago, I gave an assignment to a first-year music class of mine (eighteen-year-olds) to determine the key used for a piece of music they know and like. I was delighted to see that someone chose the Raiders March. (Fortunately, they got the key right too.)

Welcome to the board.

@Jason LeBlanc- Thanks. And yes, I was extremely fortunate to have attended such an amazing event!

@Incanus- Thank you. I agree, I will never forget that night!

@Ludwig- That's true.. I did see quite a few kids my age at the concert last Monday. Thanks.

Welcome HF!

Reading your intro text remembers me when I was your age and discovered classical and John Williams' music while I was playing clarinet at school.

Very long time ago... in a galaxy... ROTFLMAO