La La Land Records - New John Williams release coming Black Friday 2013 [UPDATE: June 2014] [Empire of the Sun]

JohnnyD

Increasingly, the world of soundtrack score music buyers is a small, collector’s-driven market and the die-hards still expect there to be a physical release. While the days of selling even 20,000 units of a popular, current score are over (with rare exceptions) there is a core following of about ten thousand people worldwide who are avid soundtrack buyers and the trick is connecting with them and providing the kind of quality releases they are thirsting for.

I don't know who these people are, but they sound like nuts.

Ffrom this interview: http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddgilchrist/2014/04/30/la-la-land-star-trek-soundtrack-original-series/

Some exciting box sets are on the horizon, not to mention some long-requested archival releases from John Williams and others

Doesn't tell us much, except that it will probably be something more high profile than Rosewood, for instance.

Perhaps one of those will be available in the 2nd may batch since no complete month announce was made in Facebook

Seriously The Patriot would be cool. I remember the film version of Susan Speaks was awesome. Plus unreleased statements of the love theme

As I recall, the highlights missing from this one are the war montage when they read the letter, the rendezvous in the swamp and the complete version of The Colonial Cause (the beginning part when Gibson rides alongside the Continental Army with the flag) with the ending removed from the album version.

From this interview: http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddgilchrist/2014/04/30/la-la-land-star-trek-soundtrack-original-series/

Some exciting box sets are on the horizon, not to mention some long-requested archival releases from John Williams and others

Now that is exciting information. Oh, the anticipation is killing me! I am really looking forward to this.

• 3 weeks later...

Townering Inferno is my bet as well.

I wouldn't think so, because supposing that it's the Williams cd that La-laland wanted approval off, why they would need an approval for this?

It has already been released in the past.

Wasn't it complete?

I do not think it is The Towering Inferno either. Film Score Monthly's release was quite amazing.

I do not think it is The Towering Inferno either. Film Score Monthly's release was quite amazing.

And amazingly OOP. So I WOULD NEED that release.

But if the signs, hints and portents do not point to that direction then I guess I'll be continuing to root for A.I., JFK, or Empire of the Sun.

TI will come either way. As for the other WB titles, i can see fandom leading to a desperate demand for these titles, but except for A. I., i pass. The original releases are perfect the way they are and in JFK's case certainly better than the ramshackle collection of short bridging cues Williams recorded to fit the movie.

TI will come either way. As for the other WB titles, i can see fandom leading to a desperate demand for these titles, but except for A. I., i pass. The original releases are perfect the way they are and in JFK's case certainly better than the ramshackle collection of short bridging cues Williams recorded to fit the movie.

What if Johnny would make "exciting editing decisions" for the JFK cues and merge them together? ;)

He sure will but does it really matter? The score has three pieces of interest, the main theme (corny as it is), the motorcade cue and Arlington. Collecting 34-second scraps of a middling family theme or the conspirators stuff seems....bottlecaps indeed (to quote another master of deft condension).

He sure will but does it really matter? The score has three pieces of interest, the main theme (corny as it is), the motorcade cue and Arlington. Collecting 34-second scraps of a middling family theme or the conspirators stuff seems....bottlecaps indeed (to quote another master of deft condension).

But I love my bottlecaps! I have a fine collection you know!

except its not complete, bad quality, and OOP.

It's been out of print for probably, what, a decade? There are zero used copies of it available on Amazon right now, and whenever there are, they never go for less than $100.

It needs a rerelease.

We must concentrate on a global program to have these environmentally damaging factories closed for good and force the population into streaming from the cloud.

You're obviously not familiar with Keurig and their coffee.

Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Dracula, any of those would work for me fine!

Ditto for me - those are basically the 4 John Williams OSTs I don't own because they are long OOP and ridiculously expensive on the after market.

I almost edited my post to include that - that's the 5th JW album I don't have :P

I actually bought it on ebay once, but when I received I found out it was a fake! Photocopied booklet on a professionally labeled CDR. Bah!

At that point I decided to stop hunting down the OOP Williams OSTs I didn't have and just wait for the re-issues. Worked great for Poseidon Adventure, Jane Eyre, The Long Goodbye, Fitzwilly, and Heidi!

Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Dracula, any of those would work for me fine!

Me too! (well, except Dracula that I have already)

Also I would like The Paper Chase/Conrack, because I missed the FSM cd which included the Poseidon Adventure too.

Me too! (well, except Dracula that I have already)

Also I would like The Paper Chase/Conrack, because I missed the FSM cd which included the Poseidon Adventure too.

I own those OSTs already but expansions would be welcome. :)

Also Paper Chase/Conrack would be more than welcome re-release as well.

Yes, as I just said over at FSM boards, they could include the rest of the Conrack cues (which are in the iso score of the Bluray, though with SFX that I don't find so distracting).

The Williams score is around 17-18 minutes and there are 5-6 source cues too. (one of which has been probably written by Williams - the others are classical music)

Just The Paper Chase really - the released Conrack cue is also on that VS compilation album. (Unless there's more they could release for Conrack of course, though I suspect all that's left is that M&E track.)

And the title was just revealed! Look at the original reveal it was coming, from way back in September:

Can't wait for this score, but I am bummed that one of our planned BLACK FRIDAY titles is now delayed until 2014 due to Mr Williams work on this project.

Well, at least we get a new work by him in 2013 and one expanded reissue in 2014!

MV

And now we know he was referring to The Empire of the Sun, revealed today, and not shipping until the end of June.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24469

Man, some things just take forever to get approved and on our shelves!

The all will be taken...in time. Just ou wait!

And the bottlecap collectors score again!