Fargo (TV Series)

Jay

The wife and I picked up this show and we've now seen every episode.

It's a great show!  Anyone who likes it should watch Noah Hawley's LEGION as well.  

On 22-6-2017 at 8:16 AM, KK said:

0a0ZZ4s.jpg

Fargo S3E10 - Somebody to Love

"This is a true story..."

Since the original Coen brothers' film, this opening statement has been one that the following absurdist tales have played around with thematically. But with this season finale, as the pieces come together, it becomes clear that this third season is Hawley's most earnest attempt at deconstructing the concept entirely. 

Season 3 has been a difficult ride for me. Yes, it features another brilliant all-star cast, some cool set-pieces and great writing, but something felt off about all of it. The season arc and structure seemed muddled, the characters' motivations unclear and the caricatures more obvious than before. Granted there were some really great highs (the phenomenal third episode being one, and Ray Wise's awesome cameo!), but something just didn't click. 

The final scene of this intriguing finale sort of helped piece it all together, however. As we watch Carrie Coon and the serpent-ish David Thewilis chewing scenery, Hawley's intentions become more clear. Unlike the past seasons, this one wasn't so much an attempt at comic tragedy as it was Hawley's thesis on the stupidity of life's events, and how "truth" is just the manipulation of a random sequence of events. And in the end, he leaves it to the audience on whether to accept Thewlis' more cynical view of human's tendency toward evil or Coon's firm belief in justice prevailing in the end.

When you go back to all the "head-scratcher" moments of the season, Hawley's choices make more and more sense and I can appreciate that. Season 3, in a way, is the show at its most ambitious, but at the cost of characters we can really invest in and narrative we can be swept off by. Hawley forgoes the usual entertainment value for a more heady exercise, and that makes this the toughest season to process, but one you can't help but admire.

And with that final monologue, I don't think you could ask for a better send-off to the whole series really. I'm not sure if there is another one planned, but this would be a noble end to a very fine show indeed.

I was wildly entertained  but in the end I agree with you.  I think the two last episodes were certainly not the best of the season. Resolutions rarely are. 7/10

Having let in sink in, I'm happy with the season, and I admire its ambitions. I think the second season might be my current favourite.

No, that had the UFO thing and sometimes felt less focused as if it wanted to move into different directions. The first season was the best. 

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

No, that had the UFO thing and sometimes felt less focused as if it wanted to move into different directions. The first season was the best. 

I loved the UFO. It might not have been as tightly focused as the first season, but it was more ambitious in tone, set-pieces and ideas, and had stronger characters. It was trying to be more than your usual Fargo plot.

This latest season had similar ambitions, but was a little less successful in my opinion.

You're young, KK. You have no choice but to love the UFO. 

I like structures to be simple and homogeneous. I loved NCFOM and then suddenly it stops and it does something else. 

It's KK's fault for posting a Fargo write-up in this thread instead of the Fargo thread

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's KK's fault for posting a Fargo write-up in this thread instead of the Fargo thread

He wanted more views!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Whoa.

Fargo season 4 has been announced, and it's going to star Chris Rock.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/chris-rock-fargo-season-4-fx-1202894560/

They'll start production next year? What do they expect us to do in the meantime?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Welcome to 2018, Alex!

On 8/3/2018 at 3:35 PM, Disco Stu said:

Whoa.

Fargo season 4 has been announced, and it's going to star Chris Rock.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/chris-rock-fargo-season-4-fx-1202894560/

Totally agreed.  I also enjoyed all 3 seasons, and also consider season 1 to be the best by bar.

You gotta see 3, Ewan McGregor and David Thewlis are great!  And it introduced me to the wonder of Carrie Coon, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead wasn't bad either!

The third season was that one with Ewan McGregor, right? It was good, although not as good as the other two, and a little boring on the middle. That weird David Thewlis character was creepy, but not a villain as compelling as Billy Bob. That said, Carrie Coon was pretty great.

34 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Loved all 3 seasons from Fargo, although the first one is still my favorite. Billy Bob Thornton created one of the gretest and most terrifying villains on TV this decade.

Agreed on all counts!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

You gotta see 3, Ewan McGregor and David Thewlis are great!  And it introduced me to the wonder of Carrie Coon, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead wasn't bad either!

Didn’t know Carrie Coon was in there. She’s superb in The Leftovers. 

I know Koray, we've had this conversation before

On 8/23/2017 at 9:41 AM, Jay said:

Watch FARGO as your next show.  Carrie Coon is in season 3, and she's fantastic

On 8/23/2017 at 2:47 PM, Koray Savas said:

I was actually thinking of making this my next show as well. Didn't know she was in it. Thanks for the tip!

Looks good, sort of similar and yet not similar to the prior seasons.  The much earlier time setting being the biggest difference

On 1/9/2020 at 3:17 PM, Koray Savas said:

I preferred 2 as its own thing instead of a mimic of the film. Still need to watch 3. 

Season 2 is my favourite too. Felt more Hawley than Coens. 3 is good, but the least of the bunch, I felt.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally went back and finished Season 3 after watching half of it a couple months ago.

Easily my favorite season so far. It felt the most structured and execution was great. “Who Rules the Land of Denial?” is a masterclass of storytelling.

I thought Jeff Russo really nailed the score this time around too. Music was great throughout. 

• 4 months later...

Great!

Does that mean they resumed filming for the final episodes?  I never saw a news story if they did

EDIT: Ah, this article says:

With production on the remaining episodes set to pick up again later this month,

So theoretically a surge in COVID cases could cause shutdown again and the premiere date could change again if that happens