• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Jay

Fargo (TV Series)

179 posts in this topic

Well, the one good thing about the later seasons is that introduced a lot of new regular characters, and they were all really great characters. In fact the final season is easily the best of the post-strike seasons, the writers who left to run Parks and Rec came back for the final season and it was pretty good. Last episode is great.

I stopped after Season 3. Gervais understands moderation. It's the American way to drag a series out for ratings until it's shit and then cancel it and move on to the next.

Forgot about this - I think Channel 4 were showing it in the UK, but I never remember to watch live TV any more. 4oD only goes back as far as episode 5 :(

Watched the first 3 episodes of Fargo S2. This season has a different vibe than Fargo S1 but there are many, many delicious moments that masterfully balance between funny and tension, a rare quality. Really, if this is TV then who needs movies?! 

fargo2-4_zpsdkgoqqj2.jpg

Alex - who almost didn't recognize Kirsten Dunst

Really? I recognized her straight away from that picture. Didnt know she was in this.

Kirsten Dunst was fantastic in this season.

Glad you're liking the new season Alex. It's very keen on setting itself apart from the first season, but still tonally loyal to its roots.

Jean Smart.

I think she dabbled in theatre and did a lot of TV, but I didn't really know about her till now. She was brilliant in Fargo.

I keep putting off my Hulu Plus free trial.  I plan on taking advantage of it solely for the purposes of watching Fargo, and then canceling the service before I'm charged.  I may wait another season.

We keep thinking about doing a Hulu free trial too; We might do it when 11.22.63 comes out.  If we like the service, we'll keep paying for it.  That's what happened for us after our free month of Netflix.  Still use it every day!

I actually rather liked the mellow and reflective tone of the finale.

Finished Fargo Season 2 and I am left with the exact same feeling that I had after seeing No Country For Old Men. Somehow you expect some kind of showdown, a big climax, a grand finale, ... but it's not coming. Instead, we have people sitting at the table who start talking in a philosophical manner. Hmmm ... It always feels like the whole movie/TV series is suddenly going into a direction that is entirely different from what you were watching. On the one hand, it's good that you don't get what you expect but, on the other, you remain with a feeling of dissatisfaction. 

All in all, Fargo 2 had  a lot of strong moments, a few very strong episodes and overall fantastic performances. I actually like Ted 'CSI' Danson (who knew that he had the Fargo element in him?!) but was mostly impressed with Kirsten Dunst and especially with Bokeem Woodbine. The character he played will not easily be forgotten. I have to mention Jesse Plemons. We noticed him as a silent force to reckoned with in Breaking Bad but I think he pulled it off again in Fargo as the everyday guy who gets mixed up in crime because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and married to the wrong girl.

1280_zpsnhlphtan.jpg

Bokeem Woodbine as Mike Millegan

Fargo-Season-2-Episode-2-32-ecf8_zpskk42

That Fargo element.

FargoTV_zpstaukltao.jpg

This season's everyday man sitting next to the wrong girl. Or is it the other way around?

Alex

No doubts, but surprised his participation in Season 3 is not mentioned here before ... He's Obi Wan Kenobi, you know.

And Kirsten Dunst was the Spiderman's soapy Mary Jane. Look how good she turned out to be!

Surprised to see his casting had no mention here either.

Good actor though. I can see him thriving in the world of Fargo.

Alex means that because he's a Star Wars actor it should be HUGE news on JWfan, which according to him is only interested in Star Wars and Superhero films.

I loved Martin Freeman in Fargo S1!

Yes, I can see Ewan as a Fargo character. Will it be the franchise's most successful season here at JWfan?

I couldn't recognize Ewan McGregor!!

After this season becomes available fully on Hulu, I plan on binging the three of them.  I can almost taste it.