Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

Jay

You don't laugh when you are by yourself (unless you are thinking of the social context while by yourself). Why do you laugh in the movie theater?

Yeah, all those cheery North Koreans look ready to sing from the rooftops in gleeful joy whenever I see them applauding their kindly all-powerful head of state during the weekly military parade.

But if you're qualified to speak for the nation from your safe little European bungalow, I must make room for such enlightenment.

Typical response from an American.

I was expecting a blocked video in response. Tsk tsk.

I guess you would endorse this Steef: http://fansided.com/2013/10/08/see-gravity-imax-3d-forever-hate/

Apparently this isn't releasing here till Nov 8, but I keep hearing that IMAX is doing special advance screenings but I'll be buggered if I can find one.

I want to put "In the space no one can hear you scream" on it.

BTW, the score is really that bad? I've just placed my order.......

I can't think of any time in my life where I was in the theater watching a movie for the first time and this actively noticed and disliked the score.

There are plenty of films I absolutely love whose scores I don't like (Batman Begins and Dark Knight, Inception, Skyfall, etc), but the scores within the film don't bother me, they just aren't scores I would ever want to listen to on their own. However Gravity's score was both hurtful to the film I wouldn't want to listen to it on CD either.

I actually enjoyed the score, i thought it added a lot.

I saw this last night, and wow was it amazing. The theater was packed (on a Tuesday night) - I haven't seen the type of audience pleasure in a long time. It's such an intense, but yet simple movie. I love how it's just the two actors, and actually just 1 for most of the movie, it's very simple, yet the directing, story telling, and cinematography pull you in so strongly, it's just amazing. There were so many things i enjoyed, but one thing in particular was the use of no sound effects during some of the heavy collision scenes. I remember seeing the first collision scene, and noticing the large demolition happening but no sound effects, (the exact opposite of something like transformers) I thought it was genius, and really helped in disorienting your senses, and taking you out of the theater and into space. Great movie!

Right. Despite some inaccuracies, I love the films genuine attempt at complete authenticity and realism in space.

Gravity is one with a simple narrative, but its not so much about the story as it is about the experience. It really is a little masterpiece in that regard, brilliantly crafted.

There actually are sound effects, but it's the sounds one would realistically hear. The rumbling of a shockwave against the hull of a space station. Debris hitting etc etc...

I think BSG actually did this also.

I remember the sound effects one would hear from inside a suit. It was cool.

Yeah, people say that now.

I said for years that things like no sound effects, realistic spherical desbris explosions, visual games in microgravity and so on could look amazing and everybody was "BLAAAH BORING IT'S A MOVIE".

Now that I've seen (and heard) Gravity...

Why would film makers use sound in space? It doesnt actually make sense.

So sound in space isn't ok, but the idea that there's all these cameras all over the place that show us the actors up close and from far away and everywhere else in greater detail than what the news can show, that unrealistic amount of footage is OK. Ok.

If you make a movie about a submarine, you can ask the same question. Why is a film camera there? The depth would crush is like a beer can? Why can the submarine be seen even though it's miles under water where light doesn't penetrate?

It is not 100% impossible to shoot film footage from space. Just very expensive and impractical.

It is 100 % impossible to have sound in space in the way it's heard in 99% of all movies that are set in outer space.

What I'm saying makes absolute scientific sense.

There were no sound effects because there's no sound in space ;)

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't able to read that in the opening text, or deduct it from my own intellect, that makes sense now. :)

I agree with the comments though, the use of sound effects (from inside her helmet) to the lack of explosion sounds when we view from the 'magical cameras' outside her helmet in space, is great! It really felt more like a documentary at times.

On the same 'magical camera's' note, did anyone see Chronicle? They overcame the 'magical camera' scenario by using cell phones, and security cameras, so we almost always are viewing from a 'found footage' perspective. I thought it was pretty creative. In that case there really were no magical cameras....although there was some 'magical' music/score from what i remember. :)

Are you planning to view it in the cinema?

Of course not! I'll watch it in glorious HD on my Samsung and without the typical distractions that go with watching movies in the theater.

I drove 60 miles to see this in IMAX 3D. And it was worth every single cent. The technical execution was absolutely brilliant, the effects were seamless and having the image fill up almost your entire field of vision in 3D (especially in the first person views) made for some buttclenchingly tense moments during the action sequences. Space seemed very scary in IMAX 3D

I saw it again tonight. I was really able to appreciate the space stations and various satellites looking so photorealistic, thanks to Cuaron and Framestore's meticulous attention to detail. 95% of the time I forgot I was looking at a CGI creation, it looked and felt like they were really in outer space orbiting the Earth. (The other 5% was the obvious CGI fire in one scene, but everything else was spot-on.) Just amazing.

And like Koray said, I like how the music accentuated the action on screen. Even more impressive is that the impact of the satellite debris impacting the shuttle and space stations are more visceral without any accompanying foley effects added in.

I saw it last weekend and was blown away by the intensity of the experience, although it was only a "regular" 3D theater. The visuals were really engrossing, you don't see something like these very often... I loved the multiple extremely long uninterrupted shots that alternatively took you right into the middle of the frenetic action or let you really take in the beautiful vistas of (Earth from) space. Just a few days before I had finally seen "2001 - A Space Odyssey" for the first time in my life (thanks to Marian), which was a perfect preparation in terms of visual aesthetic (although obviously on a vastly different technical level).

(Mild spoilers possible:)

I found the acting ranging from very solid to incredible, and even though the story boils down to a fairly linear "struggle to get home" obstacle course, it was pulled off masterfully enough to not lose the interest of the viewer (this particular one at least

;)), and mostly served as a backdrop for the sensory experience and the thinly-hidden rebirth allegory.

I'm still trying to decide if I should watch it again in the local IMAX (I've never been to an IMAX theater yet, but they only show the dubbed version)

I'm still trying to decide if I should watch it again in the local IMAX (I've never been to an IMAX theater yet, but they only show the dubbed version)

Make sure it's an actual IMAX theater with the two-story high screen (and sharply angled seating), not a regular auditorium with a slightly bigger screen. (Or what others call "LieMAX.")

Remember that an enormous part of the film is CGI, so that was rendered in 3D anyway.

And all the live action footage was set up and film with the intention to convert them to 3D.

Noticed that Guillarmo del Toro and David Fincher were thanked in the credits.