Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

Jay

It's impossible to make a good film without solid producers. It's the person that gives director or his tools and production values largely depend how well they're doing their job.

Karol

Funnily enough to this day the people responsible for casting do not have their own Academy Award. Directors' Guild is against it as they claim casting is the director's prerogative and job but I would dare say there are quite a few departments in movie making that demand both the professional of that area and the director making decisions together. Casting is a huge part of any given movie's success so I find it rather odd that the people behind selecting appropriate actors and supervising such a process are not awarded. Oh and Directors' Guild also forbid the use of the term Casting Director for the above reasons. A film can have only one director they say.

What about the Oscar for Best Extra? You know how heard those people work, for almost no recognition. THAT'S the real injustice of big ol' Hollywood at the moment.

Funnily enough to this day the people responsible for casting do not have their own Academy Award. Directors' Guild is against it as they claim casting is the director's prerogative and job but I would dare say there are quite a few departments in movie making that demand both the professional of that area and the director making decisions together. Casting is a huge part of any given movie's success so I find it rather odd that the people behind selecting appropriate actors and supervising such a process are not awarded. Oh and Directors' Guild also forbid the use of the term Casting Director for the above reasons. A film can have only one director they say.

What about the Director Of Photography? :P

What about the Director Of Photography? :P

Well obviously he is a proper director. Casting director is a marionette of the movie's actual director, whom he pulls to and fro and commands to bring him the best cast possible from main players to the most insignificant extra.

So is there confirmation that the "Silent Space Version" of Gravity is the exact same movie with the score removed? Or is it still not known?

Is the blu ray from whatever country gets that bonus feature out yet?

UPDATE: All I can find online is this:

A quick update from WBHE: "Due to production timing the [previously announced] 'Gravity Silent Space' feature will not be on the 'Gravity' disc."

So maybe the feature was removed from all county's BD sets, and not just the US BD?

Yes!

And there should also be an Oscar for Best Catering, because if it wasn't for it, the film crew would die from starvation, so obviously, catering is a huge part of any given movie's success, as well.

What about the Oscar for Best Extra? You know how heard those people work, for almost no recognition. THAT'S the real injustice of big ol' Hollywood at the moment.

Time for some angry petitions addressed to the Academy! These injustices will not stand!

So is there confirmation that the "Silent Space Version" of Gravity is the exact same movie with the score removed? Or is it still not known?

Is the blu ray from whatever country gets that bonus feature out yet?

UPDATE: All I can find online is this:

A quick update from WBHE: "Due to production timing the [previously announced] 'Gravity Silent Space' feature will not be on the 'Gravity' disc."

So maybe the feature was removed from all county's BD sets, and not just the US BD?

No one knows?

Bummer, I really wanted to hear a score-free version!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I will watch the shit out of that version of the film.

Haven't seen the movie since I saw it in IMAX opening weekend

I've seen plenty of films that I REALLY enjoyed, but didn't happen to like the score. There's nothing wrong with that really, I'll still love the film and just never buy the score. No biggie. But with Gravity, I felt the score was SO inappropriate for the film, it actually made the film lose points.

Without that score, the film can only be better.

That's the thing. Even if John Williams or Jerry Goldsmitih or whoever had written some amazing film score that I loved listening to on CD, it still would hurt the film if as much of it was used in the final cut as Price's score was. The film simply didn't need a lot score in it, and I'm surprised Cuaron thought it did. Can't wait to see the new version.

Cuaron initially didn't, and that's probably why this version even exists. He conceived it as a silent film, and Guillermo Del Toro convinced him to make this huge blockbuster epic style thing.

This will soon become common practice in a world full of pseudo nihilistic movie goers who want their entertainment to be more realistic and relatable. By omitting scores from your favourite flicks like Star Wars, ET and Indiana Jones.

• 4 weeks later...

First review is up for the Silent Space version

Disregard that last sentence if you opt for this new Diamond Luxe Edition's "Silent Space" mode, which removes just about all of that pesky Oscar-winning music. It's a neat experiment that changes a few moments dramatically...but depending on how many times you've seen the "official version" (which director Alfonso Cuaron seems to prefer in his filmed introduction to this mode), the differences can be pretty jarring. Gravity features less music than you think...but a handful of moments benefit from its absence, such as the "fetal position" scene (below) and Stone's post-landing walk. Others don't fare as well: the initial debris strike isn't nearly as terrifying this time around, and a few stray jumps between background noise and silence make other scenes feel unfinished…which they are, technically.

Either way, this "Silent Space" mode is a welcome experience for interested viewers, but Warner Bros. dropped the ball by only including a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 mix during this feature. Luckily, the blow is softened by new Atmos and TrueHD 7.1 audio options during the theatrical version, as well as three new extras and slick packaging.

The new Blu Ray drops tomorrow, and you can get it for $18.49 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PGHUJOO

Even with two discs at their disposal, WB only included the Silent Space version as a lossy 5.1 mix, not a lossless one. Lame!

I've said it before and I'll say it again : PRICE'S score isn't a problem, having ANY score is the problem - in certain scenes, at least.

Maybe I'll like this version better, maybe I won't - Dunno until I see it. But I am very curious about it, as I am curious about seeing the movie again in general, since I loved it my one viewing in the theater in IMAX.

Ditto that.

This would be a great excuse to rescore this for myself, if I had enjoyed it in the first place.

That actually sounds like fun. . . .

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2015 at 0:51 PM, Jay said:

How I wish I had bought it when it came out.  WB let it go OOP and now it fetches $60 minimum on the secondary market :(

• 4 years later...
On 3/6/2015 at 6:37 PM, Jay said:

The version of Gravity with the score taken out is finally coming out on Tuesday March 31st

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PGHUJOO/

On 3/30/2015 at 12:51 PM, Jay said:

On 7/28/2016 at 3:24 PM, Jay said:

How I wish I had bought it when it came out.  WB let it go OOP and now it fetches $60 minimum on the secondary market :(

On 7/29/2016 at 12:29 AM, nightscape94 said:

Coincidentally I was looking for this on Amazon last week and couldn't find it.  Didn't realize it was OOP.  All the same, thanks for the link.

On 7/29/2016 at 5:32 AM, Koray Savas said:

I was planning to buy this eventually as well. Oh well. 

On 7/30/2016 at 2:59 PM, Jay said:

I found it on Amazon Canada for about fifteen bucks

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00PTGEUZQ/

Well well well.  It took me 5 years (!), but I finally watched it!

By that, I mean the Silent Space version of Gravity on the Blu Ray I picked up.

I originally saw the film in theaters (in IMAX) and LOVED It, it was one of my favorite films of that year.  But I had not seen it again, until the other weekend when I finally opened up my Diamond Luxe Edition blu ray and watched the Silent Space version of the film.

I really liked the film all over again!  The special effects are still largely fantastic, only really losing points for really obvious CGI tethers for space walks.  But all the other special effects are flawless!  The story is still good, Bullock and Clooney are still good, it's a good, well crafted flick.

The Silent Space version is, unquestionable for me now, the better audio mix of the film.  Steven Price's score distracted more than it accentuated originally, especially in some key scenes like when Bullock and Clooney are admiring the silence of space (ironically enough), and her earth-walk at the end.  Now every scene has more power as you are more with Bullock the entire time, only hearing what she would hear, and not being told how to feel about what you're watching.

Interestingly, Price's score isn't entirely removed; there are two short stinger cues (one when she has to enter an airlock in time before being ripped apart, and another moment I can't recall now) that were left in, which I found interesting.  I wonder if it was an oversight, or Cuaron felt the tension was lost by not increasing the tension in those moments.

Anyway, I think this version is hard to track down these days, as posts on this forum page indicate, but I am glad I found one and finally watched it, because it made a great film even greater.