What is your favorite 1997 John Williams score?

Sandor

57 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite 1997 John Williams score

• Rosewood
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    • Seven Years In Tibet
    • Amistad

I'll pick The Lost World

But to be honest between 1994 and 1998 is the only period where I thought Williams lost it a bit. I remember not being too excited about any of them. TPM and the 2000's brought him back

I'm only familiar with Amistad and TLW. Of the two, I'd easily pick TLW - Amistad ain't bad, but TLW is much more interesting to me. Between the jungle-y percussion, the new four-note theme, the insane aleatorics, and the high-energy action music...yeah, no competition, from my perspective.

I'll give Seven Years in Tibet and Rosewood a chance at some point, but I'll be surprised if either one tops TLW. Then again, I was crazy enough not to like TLW when I first heard it, so who knows.

Seven Years in Tibet.

That one, along with Schindler's List and Memoirs of a Geisha hold a special place in my JW soundtracks collection.

They are very melancholic scores first, and they were made in collaboration with two of the greatest instrumentists of the era : Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma.

May I suggest a personal playlist using the OSTs :

John Williams - Remembrances
01 Schindler's List - Theme
02 Schindler's List - Jewish Town (Krakow Ghetto - Wint...
03 Schindler's List - Remembrances (track 13)
04 Seven Years in Tibet - Theme
05 Seven Years in Tibet - Young Dalai Lama and Ceremonial C...
06 Seven Years in Tibet - Leaving Ingrid
07 Memoirs of a Geisha - Sayuri's Theme
08 Memoirs of a Geisha - Going To School
09 Memoirs of a Geisha - The Chairman's Waltz
10 Memoirs of a Geisha - Brush On Silk
11 Memoirs of a Geisha - Chiyo's Prayer
12 Memoirs of a Geisha - Becoming A Geisha

My favourite is The Lost World. Rosewood is an interesting score (imo). I just need to listen to Amistad and Seven Years In Tibet.

This is a tough one. John Williams really have a great year in 1997. I like all of these scores for their different styles and strengths. In the end it has to be The Lost World: Jurassic Park but it is such a hard choice to make.

I must admit altough I have the Lost World CD in my collection (I mean I buy it, when it came out), I never really listen to it.

For me it's a violent and brutal score, is'nt it the case?

I must admit altough I have the Lost World CD in my collection (I mean I buy it, when it came out), I never really listen to it.

It is certainly a dark and has a harder edge than e.g. Jurassic Park to a certain extent but I have found that Williams' darker music is still as listenable as his more straightforwardly melodic scores. His harsher and frightening material is never as brutal or relentless as say Christopher Young's most ferocious and scariest music, which can become very overbearing after a while.

Obviously, Victory Celebration from Return of the Jedi Special Edition.

I like your angle! A surprise candidate!

i voted for 7 years in tibet, but my least favourite (and among the 5 least favourite of all williams' post-1975 filmography), is Lost World.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Don't know, have listened to it (with difficulty I must say) 2-3 times. (apart from the 2-3 times I've seen the film)

I guess I'm not the percussive type of guy..

Some passages remind me (I don't say that this is the case though) of the recent film scores with continuous ostinato beats and so on..

Jurassic Park though is among my favourites (including the action pieces)

I never listen to Rosewood. "Experimental" Williams that doesn't connect with me.

Lost World is the "blockbuster" score and it gets my vote for being one of Williams' most badass scores. Hopefully in four years we'll have gotten the unreleased music when Roland hits the T-Rex with the dart.

I think Seven Years in Tibet is a very important score for Williams. Lots of similarities to his later scores.

Amistad is, I guess, more "experimental" Williams. There is nice music throughout, but also a lot of somber "filler" music for a film with a lot of talking and scenes of quiet drama from what I remember.

I love Seven Years in Tibet, Rosewood and Amistad. I've never gotten into Lost World, except for the first few tracks.

People complain that Williams doesn't write in his 77-82 styles, that he's changed etc. I argue that 77-82 was very non-Williams and that the pre-1977 and post-1982 Williams is the real John Williams, which is awesome.

Yes, it is brutal and violent, but what's wrong with brutal and violent scores? "Psycho" is both, but it is brilliant.

I still say that "Look Down, Lord" is one of the most powerful things JW has written in many a long year.

Who else voted for "Rosewood"?

If the creator of a poll checks off the "public poll" option, than everyone can look and see who voted for what options

But I don't htink you can do it after people have started voting.

Correct. I was just informing for the future

Yub nub, eee chop yub nub;

Ah toe meet toe peechee keene,

G'noop dock fling oh ah.

Yahwah, eee chop yahwah;

Ah toe meet toe peechee keene,

G'noop dock fling oh ah.

Coatee cha tu yub nub;

Coatee cha tu yahwah;

Coatee cha tu glowah;

Allay loo ta nuv.

Glowah, eee chop glowah;

Ya glowah pee chu nee foom,

Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

*Coatee cha tu goo; (Yub nub!)

Coatee cha tu doo; (Yahwah!)

Coatee cha tu too; (Ya chaa!)

Allay loo ta nuv,

Allay loo ta nuv,

Allay loo ta nuv.

Glowah, eee chop glowah.

Ya glowah pee chu nee foom

Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

* Coatee cha tu goo; (Yub nub!)

Coatee cha tu doo; (Yahwah!)

Coatee cha tu too; (Ya chaa!)

Allay loo ta nuv,

Allay loo ta nuv,

Allay loo ta nuv,

Allay loo ta nuv.

Except...that is not heard in 1997...

Me.

Yay, you!

Me.

And me.

And yay, you, too!

Definitely not Amistad (of which I only like the African-like stuff), but the other three are all quality works. So different I wouldn't be able to pick just one.

I'll go with The Lost World. Why? Because it's quite an unique blockbuster score in his repertoire and my first full soundtrack of his I bought (bought then again Seven Years in Tibet was my first CD from him).

Karol

Definitely not Amistad (of which I only like the African-like stuff), but the other three are all quality works. So different I wouldn't be able to pick just one.

I'll go with The Lost World. Why? Because it's quite an unique blockbuster score in his repertoire and my first full soundtrack of his I bought (bought then again Seven Years in Tibet was my first CD from him).

Karol

How about at gun point? If you absolutely had to?

Yes, the easiest way to learn your true favorites is to have your children's lives threatened. Grab the guns!

Good the message is getting through! Through guns to better self understanding and awareness!

TIBET all the way. The sweeping romanticism mixed with the more ambivalent eastern passages towers above any of the others, though LOST WORLD is catchy-great and ROSEWOOD one of his more unusual (and very good) concoctions. AMISTAD is a bit boring, though.

Had to think a bit about this one, but landed on AMISTAD in the end. Mostly as an album, though. There are parts of the movie that are "over-scored".

• 5 years later...

BUMP

IMO this was one of Williams best and busiest years, and it produced an amazing crop of some of my favourite score, of which The Lost World and Seven Years in Tibet are paramount. I voted for Seven Years in Tibet, because I cannot help but praise it every time I listen to it, whereas I find The Lost World to be a tad more fatiguing, if you understand my meaning. Williams opening concert suite is one of his best ever, and the wide pallet of music offered in cues such asYoung Dalai Lama, Leaving Ingrid, The Invasion, and Approaching the Summit, just to name a few, is very welcome. But the concert suite stole my heart from the first time I listened to it, and remains in my top ten to this day.