Howard Shore Concerti

You don't find it a bit aimless? I know I need to listen to it a few more times in case there's some grand underlying architectural genius I'm missing, but I don't have high hopes.

His piano concerto sounds like it's far more compelling.

You don't find it a bit aimless? I know I need to listen to it a few more times in case there's some grand underlying architectural genius I'm missing, but I don't have high hopes.

His piano concerto sounds like it's far more compelling.

Hey composers have permission to ramble in their concert hall output!

• 2 years later...

Will the recordings of the concert pieces mentioned here be released on CD any time soon?

Cello Concerto

Piano Concerto

Cantania

Mythic Gardens

La Tour

Nerakhoon
Fanfare

Seven Pieces 
The Garden

A Palace Upon The Ruins

?

Isn't Nerakhoon (The Betrayal) already released? At least the film score is. Did Shore adapt some kind of concert suite from the score?

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno,  I was just going by what was mentioned earlier as having been recorded in 2014

Hehe I was too lazy to check the first page of the thread. Jim Ware mentioned it is a suite from the score which might also contain some reworking of the score material.

I would like to see more concert pieces from him. The ones I know are not quite as inventive or challenging as I'd hoped, Williams' output seems to be more sophisticated in that respect. But they are nevertheless really pleasant to listen to. I'm really enjoying Ruin and Memory piano concerto. And Mythic Gardens cello concerto is nice too.

Karol

It was available for purchase on some Chinese site I believe.  Not sure if it still is.

I think Shore's concert music idiom is fascinating.  A very austere neo-classical, maybe even neo-baroque sound.

Yeah, it was. But apparently to the surprise of Shore and people around him. Some kind of legal loophole (or whatever) made it possible to come out. And dead cheap too. If it ever comes out from Howe Records on CD I will buy it again.

29 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

It was available for purchase on some Chinese site I believe.  Not sure if it still is.

I think Shore's concert music idiom is fascinating.  A very austere neo-classical, maybe even neo-baroque sound.

I get you. But I'd like him to be a bit more dangerous. Ironically, some of his film music has sharper claws, artistically.

Karol

Ah I lied. I've been familiar with his piano concerto for some time now. I've posted about it here several times as well. Good stuff.

I respect Shore's reserved neo-classical voice in the concert world. I believe he uses that idiom as an outlet to channel his detailed study of classical/baroque works and the concept of structure he derives from them. That's not something he gets to do often in film music, because of the nature of that industry.

But I too wish we got to hear more of the challenging traits we hear in his film music in the concert hall as well. I believe "Orbit" was the first/last concert work he wrote in that vein.

12 hours ago, KK said:

Ah I lied. I've been familiar with his piano concerto for some time now. I've posted about it here several times as well. Good stuff.

I respect Shore's reserved neo-classical voice in the concert world. I believe he uses that idiom as an outlet to channel his detailed study of classical/baroque works and the concept of structure he derives from them. That's not something he gets to do often in film music, because of the nature of that industry.

But I too wish we got to hear more of the challenging traits we hear in his film music in the concert hall as well. I believe "Orbit" was the first/last concert work he wrote in that vein.

His The Cell feels like almost like the kind of sound I'd like to hear from him.

And speaking of chamber-like works, Spider is the one to check out.

Karol

• 4 weeks later...

Seems we'll finally get a release of some of Shore's chamber music. I wonder what will be included besides the song cycle?  Perhaps the Fanfare and Seven Pieces that were recorded in Dublin a few years ago.

http://howerecords.com/denial/

His chamber music album “A Palace Upon the Ruins—Selected Works” will be released on November 4, 2016.

Good catch!

Other recent works include the piano concerto Ruin and Memory for Lang Lang (2010), the song cycle A Palace Upon the Ruins featuring mezzo-soprano Jennifer Johnson Cano (2014), Six Pieces (2014), a cello concerto Mythic Gardens (2012), and Fanfare for the Wanamaker Organ in Philadelphia (2008). His opera, The Fly (2008), which premiered at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris and at Los Angeles Opera, recently completed a successful run in Germany at the Theatre Trier. His chamber music album “A Palace Upon the Ruins—Selected Works” will be released on November 4, 2016.

Oh, it's already up for pre-order

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KZHTYI6

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know any more about "Fanfare for Organ and Brass" (for the Wanamaker) than what's mentioned in this review I found?

The new Fanfare by Shore came out of protracted, intense study of the organ's possibilities: Though Shore is said to have intended an hour's visit to Macy's to hear what he was writing for, he stayed for at least four. The 10-minute piece seemed out to explore as many possibilities as possible, perhaps at the expense of writing a coherent piece, with brass writing encompassing suggestions of Wagner's Die Meistersinger as well as John Williams' Star Wars.

Saying it might lack coherence is I think fair.  Like the cello concerto, it has a constant chromatic restlessness, modulating this way and that.  I can see why that might put someone off.  Exciting piece nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

https://issuu.com/harmonia_mundi/docs/2016_11

We're getting:
A Palace Upon The Ruins

Peace

The Garden

Six Pieces

Catania

APUTR features Jennifer Johnson Caro, so that would indicate it's a re-issue of the already released Brahms/Shore recording.  I don't care much for Catania, although maybe Lang Lang can change my mind on it.  'Six Pieces' is wonderful, I reckon this is the studio recording that the RTE Concert Orchestra did at the same time as their concert performance in Dublin a few years ago, which was great.  I wonder how the Kronos Quartet feature though?  Perhaps some of the movements have been re-arranged for quartet and tacked in.

I look forward very much to hearing 'Peace' for the first time, and a proper recording of 'The Garden'.

37 minutes ago, KK said:

To be honest, I don't think we'll ever hear that piece. :(

Why not?  It's not like he's withdrawn it.  The perusal score is still up on the Schott website and it was just performed again a year ago.

7 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Did Seven Pieces become Six Pieces, or is it something different altogether?

I'm almost certain 7 became 6, but will only know for sure when I hear it. In Dublin, the programme originally billed "Seven pieces" but was changed at the last moment to "Excerpts from Seven pieces" and if I remember correctly six were performed. I remember speaking to a friend who played in the concert and the subsequent recording session, who told me that the omitted piece (the first movement I think) was extremely difficult, quite reminiscent of Paul Hindemith, and so full of changes of tonality it was a headache to perform! So maybe it just didn't work out and was dropped.