Basil Poledouris' THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - 2013 Intrada Expanded

Trent B

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What do you find lacking then?

Not I:

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:44 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I've read some bad stuff about the sound quality of this expanded release. Would anybody care to comment?

I haven't noticed any sound issues either, except in the end credits suite - I'm too lazy to dig out the liner notes, but I expect they were taken from film stems or something. They're just a rather harsh copy & paste suite of film tracks anyway, though the beginning is nice to have because it features the choir bits without the orchestra track and you can hear details in the choir writing that get completely lost in the full mix.

The expansion is no revelation though. The album had plenty of filler stuff already, and aside from one or two nice moments, the expansion mostly adds more of that. And the film versions of some cues are also much inferior to the album versions - I'm looking at you, Red Route I.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Thanks guys, it seems I'll stick to the OST based on your answers.

I have the album and find it a pretty good listen. There's really nothing missing in terms of highlights, although the album does end a bit abruptly. The sound quality is fine to my ears (un-remastered as it is).

• 2 years later...

The sound quality of the end credits could be better. I wonder why it sounds different than the versions I have seen on DVD and blu-ray. If they took the film stems, wouldn't it figure that the end credits sound as good on this release as they do in the picture?

• 5 months later...

I think the music sound more vibrant on the dvd release. Red Route 1 sounds more clearer.  And I do miss the film version of Kaboom!!!.