Basil Poledouris' THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - 2013 Intrada Expanded

Trent B

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8286/.f

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 257
Date: 1990
Tracks: 24
Time = 70:13

World premiere expanded CD of Basil Poledouris soundtrack for John McTiernan film from Tom Clancy novel, starring Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, Scott Glenn, James Earl Jones, Sam Neill. Sensational action-suspense tale is film introduction of Jack Ryan (Baldwin), working with CIA intelligence to determine if Soviet commander piloting nuclear super-sub heads towards U.S. waters to defect... or launch attack. Best of four films featuring Jack Ryan to date, Poledouris brings inspired mood, color to exciting tale by weighing anchor with magnificent, massive "Hymn To Red October" for large orchestra, chorus, then taking off with vivid cues for orchestra, layers of electronics plus his chorus. Score literally provides rhythm, pulse of movie as well as underlines intense action sequences. Interestingly, one of score's few moments of respite comes with reflective "Two Wives", a gentle cue dropped from finished film. Entire score remains one of composer's most important works, and earns it's place as a classic of nineties motion picture music! Original MCA label CD was mere 30-minute sampling of score. Intrada CD offers over an hour of masterful music including first release of "End Title" given significance in one point by powerful presentation of main hymn melody via orchestra sans choir in dynamic manner. Powerful moment. Ditto climactic moments of lengthy "Nuclear Scam". Still another highlight is suspenseful, imposing "Ryan's Wheels/Tupolov/Buckaroo", also making it's premiere here. Yet another new highlight is percussive "Mini-Sub/Contact" with striking series of colorful quasi-arpeggio figures slicing through dense rhythmic material. Entire score is masterly meld of orchestral & choral fury with array of electronics close at hand. Intrada CD presented in stereo from pristine condition session masters vaulted at Paramount, licensed courtesy both Paramount and Universal Music Group. Graphic packaging by Joe Sikoryak, authoritative notes by Scott Bettencourt. Basil Poledouris conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remains!

01. Never Happened 0:41
02. Hymn to Red October (Main Titles) 5:08
03. Putin’s Demise 1:04
04. Tyler’s Office/Ramius and the Doctor/Dallas Listens 2:44
05. Course Two-Five-Zero/Interlude/Two-Five-Zero/Padorin Reads 1:25
06. Ryan’s Wheels (original version) 0:39
07. Ryan’s Wheels (revised)/Tupolov/Buckaroo 3:17
08. The Line/Red Route I 4:15
09. Ancestral Aid 2:16
10. Plane Crash 1:51
11. Ryan Lifts Off/Emergence 1:35
12. Two Wives 2:45
13. Chopper 4:09
14. Submarine Dive/Necessary Force 2:50
15. Outer Doors 2:14
16. Nuclear Scam 7:22
17. Mini-Sub/Contact 3:18
18. Tupolov’s Torpedo/Torpedo Hits 3:29
19. Kaboom!!! 6:21
20. End Title (Ancestral Aid/Hymn to Red October [Main Titles]/Nuclear Scam) 4:36
The Extras
21. Putin’s Demise (album version) 1:03
22. Red Route I (album version) 3:33
23. Necessary Force (alternate mix) 2:23
24. The Anthem of the Soviet Union (vocal) 1:06

Wow! More music, and a decent sounding recording. Take my money.

Well it does say they're from pristine session masters that were at Paramount's vault. So it better be pristine! :P I'll gladly toss the boot for this score.

Surprised that there's so much more music than there was on the original album. It's one of Poledouris' best scores, even if long stretches of it aren't all that interesting on CD - the highlights alone make it more than worthwhile. Sound was always good on the album, but I'm sure there's a lot of potential still for an analogue recording of its time. Ordered.

Now bring on a complete Starship Troopers and a new release of Les Miserables (which apparently is OOP, judging from the prices it goes for).

Surprised that there's so much more music than there was on the original album. It's one of Poledouris' best scores, even if long stretches of it aren't all that interesting on CD - the highlights alone make it more than worthwhile. Sound was always good on the album, but I'm sure there's a lot of potential still for an analogue recording of its time. Ordered.

Now bring on a complete Starship Troopers and a new release of Les Miserables (which apparently is OOP, judging from the prices it goes for).

Didn't you have the boot for Red October? That gave a clue on how much more music there was despite the shit sound.

Regarding Starship Troopers, I don't see that one happening any time soon. Unfortunately, that's a Varèse perpetuity title...

On a side note I got shipping notification from Intrada for Red October.

Interesting that all 90s Jack Ryan scores got an expanded release this year. It's either a coincidence or they heard about that new Jack Ryan movie coming out this Christmas.

Their Russian is quite terrible, by the way. ;)

But then again, much better Sean Connery's.

Karol

Didn't the filmtracks page for the score have phonetic lyrics? The hymn ist still the only russian song I know (almost - been a long time) by heart. Fortunately nobody with any knowledge of the language ever heard me sing it ;)

Interesting that all 90s Jack Ryan scores got an expanded release this year. It's either a coincidence or they heard about that new Jack Ryan movie coming out this Christmas.

Now when is Jerry gonna get his due?

Best of four films featuring Jack Ryan to date, Poledouris brings inspired mood, color to exciting tale by weighing anchor with magnificent, massive "Hymn To Red October" for large orchestra, chorus, then taking off with vivid cues for orchestra, layers of electronics plus his chorus. . . . Entire score remains one of composer's most important works, and earns it's place as a classic of nineties motion picture music!

All of this is entirely true. This score was Basil's Conan of the 90s. Very much looking forward to this release.

Yeah . . . the most un-Jack Ryan "Jack Ryan" movie ever conceived. Everything about it is wrong, almost to the point that it pisses me off.

- Uni

Awesome. I'm hoping my copy will be at home when I arrive.

I've revisited the OST a lot over the last few days, and I want to hear more of this great score in good sound quality.

How does it compare to the OST, quality wise?

Awesome. I'm hoping my copy will be at home when I arrive.

I've revisited the OST a lot over the last few days, and I want to hear more of this great score in good sound quality.

How does it compare to the OST, quality wise?

My copy of the OST ended up getting destroyed years ago because back then I didn't take care of my CDs like I do now so I can't comment on it but I would imagine it sounds better.

It arrived last night, and sounds glorious.

For those with the OST: Yes, it is a big improvement, IMHO.

The film versions of some cues are surprisingly different to the album versions, due to the extensive editing and mixing done to the score. Red Route I is stunningly different.

The Choir is more prominent in the mix, which is a good thing.

I love the mood set my the orchestral cues, and there are several of these moody, more quiet cues ala Two Wives that sound great.

I'm not as much of a fan of the synth cues such as Kaboom!!!, but they are definitely effective, and the synth sweeteners for the orchestral/choral cues definitely add a dark, mysterious edge, reflecting the deadly nature of the nuclear submarines in the film. Again, I refer to the two versions of Red Route I as an example of what these "sweeteners" do for the music.

I'm really happy about this one. :)

by the way, just a trivia:

Poledouri's main title music was used in Michael Jackson's History teaser (near the beginning, after the terminator 2 music) very effectively I'd say.

I had watched the film in my childhood, but didn't remember the music so I didn't know.

still searching though the choir piece that closes this teaser.

Wow.

The sound quality is superior to anything that's come before this. The choral mix, and the percussion in several cues, has been given a more prominent role (as ought to be the case). This was well worth getting. Great release.

- Uni

COB: "So anyway, he's got this music out in the water, and he's listening to it on his headsets, and he's just happy as a clam. And then all hell breaks loose. See, there's this whole slew of boats out in the water—"

Jonesy: "Including one waaay out at Pearl!"

COB: "Including one way the hell out at Pearl. All of a sudden, they start hearing . . . Poledouris!"

- Uni

• 5 years later...