The Official James Horner Thread

What were you doing in Lucerne, Jim?

Failing to interview James Horner! Thankfully the first rule of concerts at the KKL applied in this case - all roads lead to the bar.

Simon Rhodes and Tony Hinnigan were there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Trailer for Southpaw, one of Horner's 2015 scores

Yeesh, looks like a bad movie. And probably one that doesn't have a lot of score in it. I wonder if this will even get a score CD.

• 1 month later...

James Horner revealed in an interview with HeyUGuys that he will be composing the music for Pandora: The Land of Avatar at Disney’a Animal Kingdom in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. The theme park attraction is designed by Walt Disney Imagineering in partnership with James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment and will feature the wonders of Pandora, giving parkgoers the chance to “fly with banshees and explore a rich natural environment with mountains that float and interactive plants that glow at night.” Horner has composed the score for James Cameron’s 2009 movie and will return to score the sequel, which is scheduled to be released in 2017. Check out the full interview after the jump. Pandora: The Land of Avatar is currently in construction and is set to open in 2017.

http://filmmusicrepo...ion/#more-31597

More or less verbatim: I wrote very daring music for TITANIC and AVATAR that challenged all conventional wisdom and i cannot work any other way. It's just the way i am. Man, i love listening to Horner interviews.

For a while it seemed like he was slowing down his output, but he's really ramped back up. Five scores in 2015 and already lined up at least 2 for 2017. Wow!

Can cross Horner off my list now. Went to the Titanic concert at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday and have just been to the BAFTA Conversations with Screen Composers event with Horner as well, where he spoke about his music for a couple of hours. Got my Deep Impact score signed as well, which was the first score I ever heard from Horner so it has a nostalgic place in my life. Funnily enough he said he didn't remember scoring it, which is encouraging...haha.

post-24809-0-02555500-1430352644.jpg

Can cross Horner off my list now. Went to the Titanic concert at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday and have just been to the BAFTA Conversations with Screen Composers event with Horner as well, where he spoke about his music for a couple of hours. Got my Deep Impact score signed as well, which was the first score I ever heard from Horner so it has a nostalgic place in my life. Funnily enough he said he didn't remember scoring it, which is encouraging...haha.

That's very cool! What did he talk about for several hours?

I went to the talk too and enjoyed it. It was nice that James Horner hung around for such a long time afterwards to sign autographs and chat to fans. He seemed happy to have his photo taken with everyone that wanted. Did you see composer Anne Dudley in the audience too?

Several clips featuring Horner's music were played at various appropriate times during the interview, including Apollo 13, Titanic, Star Trek II, Aliens and Black Gold.

That's very cool! What did he talk about for several hours?

He spoke about his entire career really. From his first low budget horrors to biggest budget Avatar. He spoke about his beginnings, his style, his noticable traits, including the reason why he uses big sharp hits of percussion so he can get through the loud sound effects. He spoke about Wolf Totem as well etc. How Imitation Game was temped with his Beautiful Mind hence the similar approach from Desplat to convey intelligence and mathematics musically. Very interesting stuff.

I went to the talk too and enjoyed it. It was nice that James Horner hung around for such a long time afterwards to sign autographs and chat to fans. He seemed happy to have his photo taken with everyone that wanted. Did you see composer Anne Dudley in the audience too?

Several clips featuring Horner's music were played at various appropriate times during the interview, including Apollo 13, Titanic, Star Trek II, Aliens and Black Gold.

I didn't see any other Composers there no. I was wondering when Pearson said there are a few Composers in the audience. I heard David Arnold was there too, but he left straight afterwards. I went to the Giacchino event last year and Arnold was there and he stuck around so I managed to get his autograph and have a chat about how Stargate pretty much changed my life.

New interview:

James Horner Tells The Story Behind Five Of His Classic Film Scores

TWOK, Glory, HISTK, Land Before Time, and The New World

Very interesting stuff. I forget that at the time of TWOK they thought that might be the last Star Trek. Does anyone know what Goldsmith thought about not getting selected to score TWOK?

They didn't have the budget for Goldsmith

Interesting, so they went for the low budget version of Goldsmith on the big budget sequel. That must have truly driven Goldsmith crazy.

They didn't have the budget for Goldsmith

That must have truly driven Goldsmith crazy.

In interviews around the time he only answered 'They didn't have the budget'. No hard feelings either way.

Horner looks good. I remember there was concern he was dying when Avatar came out and he had lost a bunch of weight.

Yes he looks much healthier nowadays. I was thinking the exact same thing.

I'd like to see those cuts of TTRL and The New World that were more like a normal movie and less like a tone poem

"What I do is move from project to project, and I purposefully try to do things that are absolutely opposed to the previous one so that there's no crossover and no residual ideas appearing in the next one."

;)

"What I do is move from project to project, and I purposefully try to do things that are absolutely opposed to the previous one so that there's no crossover and no residual ideas appearing in the next one."

;)

:lol:

Seems like Ron Howard provided a blurb for the new Horner Pas De Deux album.

"I've always maintained that Maestro Horner is a truly masterful composer. I bet you'll agree that this work confirms that."

Ron Howard (source: Mercury Classics)

Does that mean they parted in amicable fashion?

Karol

"Ron is a great guy but he doesn't know anything about characters' emotions or how to make a big budget movies" ;)

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Expanded from Horner, I want:

Willow

The Rocketeer

Titanic

Braveheart

and of course his rejected Romeo and Juliet score

(Avatar and Amazing Spider-man would be essential too if we didn't already have the session leaks)

Braveheart doesn't have a whole lot of material left, when you inject the music from 'More music from Braveheart' into the regular album.

Same for Titanic. But I'd give my left shoe to have the early diving scenes underscore.

• 4 weeks later...