The Official James Horner Thread

He insinuated over several interviews that he liked the more mysterious/impressionist parts but not the main theme (read: the Williams-inspired march approach). He did go on praising ALIEN in the same interview though and given his broad romantic approach on practically every big adventure movie he did we can only surmise that James Horner just wasn't a big fan of marches in these kind of movies but dug the strange, ethereal textures by Goldsmith.

Wait a second, there is a recent long interview where he raves over Goldsmith and especially Alien.

He insinuated over several interviews that he liked the more mysterious/impressionist parts but not the main theme (read: the Williams-inspired march approach). He did go on praising ALIEN in the same interview though and given his broad romantic approach on practically every big adventure movie he did we can only surmise that James Horner just wasn't a big fan of marches in these kind of movies but dug the strange, ethereal textures by Goldsmith.

Wait a second, there is a recent long interview where he raves over Goldsmith and especially Alien.

Isn't that exactly what i wrote?

Isn't that exactly what i wrote?

Ok, so I missed your point.

• 4 weeks later...

A good 'ole James Horner joint merrily referencing GLORY, AVATAR and A FAR OFF PLACE and it's soon out. Listen to the full theme on this site.

http://www.the33movie.com/

If anyone wants to download that directly - http://wbpsites.com/the33/us/tumblr/sounds/loop.ogg

• 4 months later...

He seems like such a young man but I think this might be post Aliens.  He was already a big deal.  Ok, so Glory had already been released so this might even be 1990.  He looks so young.  He comes across as authentic but you can see some evidence to why some of those who knew him might have thought he was an egocentric ass.  He has a big ego for sure but he was also brilliant and a very effective composer gone too soon.

4 hours ago, karelm said:

Very important historical document:

https://ia601500.us.archive.org/11/items/calauem_000217/calauem_000217_access.HD.mp4

Folks, this is actually a fucking big deal.  Horner giving his thoughts at 19:40.  This is maybe mid 1980s.  History in the making...take note....what i would give to be there. :(

Thank you for posting this, what a find!

5 hours ago, karelm said:

Folks, this is actually a fucking big deal.  Horner giving his thoughts at 19:40.  This is maybe mid 1980s.  History in the making...take note....what i would give to be there. :(

Rather 1991, probably around the release of 'Terminator 2' which Horner cites.

Or when Horner referred to Ennio Morricone as possible plagiarism defendant when he could just as well said 'gee folks i just got sued for ripping off not one but two composers in 'Honey i Shrunk the Kids'

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

Or when Horner referred to Ennio Morricone as possible plagiarism defendant when he could just as well said 'gee folks i just got sued for ripping off not one but two composers in 'Honey i Shrunk the Kids'

I am sure poor James was forced under duress from the studio/director to quote both himself and other composers so often in his scores. Or perhaps that was his devious way of giving them the shaft.

16 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Or perhaps that was his devious way of giving them the shaft.

I would think so. He often re-told the outrage of not being copyright owner of his music and thus being forced to re-invent all the time or the studios would sue his ass off. A bold lie in clear daylight! But it's another facet of his personality i find more amusing than intolerable. He lived in his very own world.

20 hours ago, karelm said:

Very important historical document:

https://ia601500.us.archive.org/11/items/calauem_000217/calauem_000217_access.HD.mp4

1990's, you meant. :)

Or 1990 exactly.

Karol

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It was definitely nice to hear him say that Williams deserved the Oscar!

I think he meant only that the score deserved a nomination as it only got nominated for the song When You Are Alone that year.

This is one of my favorite Horner interviews, towards the end. It was because of these geniuses like Horner, Williams, Goldsmith et al. kind of "slumming it" in Hollywood that I was introduced to orchestral music. Had it not been for their scores, who knows what I'd be listening to now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6.5.2016 at 10:52 PM, publicist said:

Very interesting analysis by the ethnomusicologist who worked with Horner on AVATAR and why the score sounds as whitebread as it does:

http://ethnomusicologyreview.ucla.edu/journal/volume/17/piece/583

This was a nice look behind the creating of the score and its ethnic musical elements and also showcases how much of the work was actually discarded before it even made it to the film. And it is a good reminder of all the elements that affect a film score, especially those ever important commercial considerations, that might force the composer's hand and steer him clear of musical choices that would alienate the audiences or challenge them too much.

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Do the synth vocals in Titanic make more sense now?

They never did!

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Horner and Cameron were obviously trying to evoke the new age/Enya feel. And you do that better with the synth choir then a real one.

Yeah that is likely the case.

Although the Back to Titanic CD Titanic Suite with real choir is not bad at all methinks.