HOME ALONE - Live to Projection Concerts

Ricard

It was a fantastic evening! Super fun watching HA with an enthusiastic crowd! And the Pops played great all night, Setting The Trap was the only rough spot.

It was a fantastic evening! Super fun watching HA with an enthusiastic crowd! And the Pops played great all night, Setting The Trap was the only rough spot.

Yeah, it was an excellent performance. A few french horn bleats, but it comes with the territory. The horn is an absurdly difficult instrument, and Williams likes to showcase it. I criticized the audience, but it was actually a pretty enjoyable experience. The "Music by John Williams" credit got a lot of applause. I should also mention that the orchestra reprised the title music before part 2 of the film, also to enthusiastic applause. Lockhart actually had to gesture for the audience to settle down as the film resumed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the play by play. HA is one of my all time favorites, hopefully they'll do more of this, it sounds like a lot of fun. Also interesting the notes on Setting the trap with the synth out of sync. That's one of my queues. I wonder if a recording will surface, i would love to hear or see any portion of it. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic will be performing this at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall in January next year. Dirk Brosse conducts. There will be two performances, one on the Saturday evening and one on the Sunday afternoon. I wonder if we will see this elsewhere in the UK in due course?

http://www.liverpoolphil.com/16723/events-classical-music/home-alone.html

For the Liverpool audiences I hope they include the deleted scene where Kevin offers to 'look after' various strangers' cars for a small financial contribution.

• 4 weeks later...
Just announced.

Home Alone Live to Film.

2nd and 3rd January 2016

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Dirk Brosse.

2015/ 2016 season brochure.

• 1 month later...

Why can't they have these things in Houston? :(

Well it's a little drive over here but San Antonio Symphony is doing E.T. in September, and Raiders in February or so. I mean, it's not Chicago, but should still be a fun time!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll be going to the Chicago Symphony's performance of this on Sunday!

Are the only score changes the additions at the end of the first act (leading into intermission) and at the beginning of the second act (coming out of intermission)? 

EDIT: Never mind, I reread the posts from earlier in the thread and they tell me all I wanted to know.

Well, I'll be leaving for Symphony Center in less than half an hour. Should be fun! I'll be sitting pretty high up so I'm going to bring binoculars.

• 3 weeks later...

I attended the Liverpool Philharmonic's performance yesterday and it was great. Not only an amazing performance by the orchestra, but after the intermission a huge choir joined them and that was quite a surprise to me, which made the all experience definitely perfect.

Sadly someone left the performance as soon as the end credits appeared on the screen, with a live orchestra still playing...

Cannot wait for ROTLA in London in March!

57 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

I attended the Liverpool Philharmonic's performance yesterday and it was great. Not only an amazing performance by the orchestra, but after the intermission a huge choir joined them and that was quite a surprise to me, which made the all experience definitely perfect.

Sadly someone left the performance as soon as the end credits appeared on the screen, with a live orchestra still playing...

Cannot wait for ROTLA in London in March!

I was at the Liverpool Philharmonic today - great performance by the orchestra, ruined by people getting up and talking as soon as the credits start. It was the same with E.T. live at the Hollywood Bowl earlier this year. Do people seriously not realise how disrespectful it is to do that when there are 70+ musicians still playing in front of them?

I loved the performance of "Merry Christmas" at the end too, an unexpected bonus. Fortunately people had decided to sit back down by that point. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This past December, I had the fun opportunity of seeing Home Alone live in concert at Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake City, UT.

http://www.utahsymphony.org/15-16-season/1112-home-alone-feature-film-with-the-utah-symphony

I gotta tell you: losing my aural virginity to a John Williams score live in concert was something else. It is definitely magnitudes better hearing it live than on a soundtrack.

I got chills just listening to the 20th Century Fox theme. And from there, it was a roller coaster ride of emotions swirling around a Christmas tale of a kid outsmarting a pair of otherwise wonderful actors. And I kept the program as a souvenir.

My only regrets?

1) I couldn't take any pictures or video recording during the show. Looking back, though, it was the better decision to make seeing how getting kicked out during my first ever John Williams concert would've ruined it for myself.

2) I couldn't get a peek at the full score on the conductor's stand. If I did, I could've gotten the cue list for Home Alone. :devil:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This continues to be a popular concert, though only in the wintertime.  I don't expect 2017 dates to be announced for a while

NOVEMBER 2016

11NOVHOME ALONEcity: Costa Mesa, CA 8:00 pm Segerstrom Center for the ArtsOrchestra: Pacific Symphony

12NOVHOME ALONEcity: Costa Mesa, CA 8:00 pm Segerstrom Center for the ArtsOrchestra: Pacific Symphony

26NOVHOME ALONEcity: Tucson, AZ 4:00 pm Tucson Music HallOrchestra: Tucson Symphony Orchestra

26NOVHOME ALONEcity: Norfolk, VA 7:00 pm Chrysler HallOrchestra: Virginia Symphony

27NOVHOME ALONEcity: Tucson, AZ 2:00 pm Tucson Music HallOrchestra: Tucson Symphony Orchestra

DECEMBER 2016

2DECHOME ALONEcity: San Diego, CA 8:00 pm Copley Symphony HallOrchestra: San Diego Symphony

3DECHOME ALONEcity: New Orleans, LA 7:30 pm Mahalia Jackson TheaterOrchestra: Louisiana Philharmonic

4DECHOME ALONEcity: Nashville, TN 1:00 pm Schermerhorn Symphony CenterOrchestra: Nashville Symphony

4DECHOME ALONEcity: Nashville, TN 7:00 pm Schermerhorn Symphony CenterOrchestra: Nashville Symphony

14DECHOME ALONEcity: Detroit, MI 7:30 pm Max M Fisher Music CenterOrchestra: Detroit Symphony

20DECHOME ALONEcity: Philadelphia, PA 7:00 pm Verizon HallOrchestra: The Philadelphia Orchestra

21DECHOME ALONEcity: Kansas City, MO 7:00 pm Kauffman CenterOrchestra: Kansas City Symphony

21DECHOME ALONEcity: Philadelphia, PA 7:00 pm Verizon HallOrchestra: The Philadelphia Orchestra

22DECHOME ALONEcity: Philadelphia, PA 7:00 pm Verizon HallOrchestra: The Philadelphia Orchestra

22DECHOME ALONEcity: Kansas City, MO 7:00 pm Kauffman CenterOrchestra: Kansas City Symphony

22DECHOME ALONEcity: San Antonio, TX 7:30 pm Majestic TheatreOrchestra: San Antonio Symphony

23DECHOME ALONEcity: San Antonio, TX 7:30 pm Majestic TheatreOrchestra: San Antonio Symphony

• 3 months later...

Coming to Toronoto in December

DECEMBER 2017

1DECHOME ALONEcity: Toronto, ON 7:30 pm Roy Thomson HallOrchestra: Toronto Symphony Orchestrabuytixbutt.png

2DECHOME ALONEcity: Toronto, ON 2:00 pm Roy Thomson HallOrchestra: Toronto Symphony Orchestrabuytixbutt.png

2DECHOME ALONEcity: Toronto, ON 7:30 pm Roy Thomson HallOrchestra: Toronto Symphony Orchestrabuytixbutt.png

Chicago Symphony will perform this for a second time on December 9 and 10 - twice on the latter day, back to back! Gosh, I pity those musicians, unless it's a mistake... 

http://cso.org/ticketsandevents/production-details-2017-18/cso-specials/home-alone/

I went a couple years ago and it was great. For anyone who missed it ... now's your chance.

I may even end up going again if student tickets are offered for $25 like normal. 

Hmm, if JW's concert in 2018 has student tickets at that price, I might not be able to help going a second time...

• 10 months later...

Home Alone In Concert is coming to London at long last, although we will have to wait until 22nd December 2018.  Ben Palmer will conduct the Cinematic Sinfonia with the Crouch End Festival Chorus at the Royal Albert Hall, so all boxes ticked on this one.

Home Alone

Kevin!

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Awesome!  That's one of my favorite LTP concerts too.  It's a fun movie to watch with an enthusiastic crowd, too!

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Awesome!  That's one of my favorite LTP concerts too.  It's a fun movie to watch with an enthusiastic crowd, too!

Yes, I think most of the audience were in the Christmas spirit and it was great to watch the film with an enthusiastic but respectful crowd.  There was a family with a couple of young children sitting to my left and although the little girl was obviously a little tired towards the end, she and her brother were roaring with laughter as Kevin inflicted catastrophic, life-changing injuries on the two hapless burglars.  Their laughter was infectious.

I was amused by the conversation of another grown up family in the row behind me who had not realised that the film would be screened at the same time as the music was played!  I am not sure what they were expecting when they bought their tickets.  They were also completely thrown when the choir walked on stage for the second half and it took them a while to work out that they were not additional members of the orchestra (despite there being about sixty extra people, none of which was carrying a musical instrument which is usually a bit of a giveaway).  They then concluded that they must have been 'substitutes' (😲) and even resorted to checking their phones for photos they had taken in the first half to confirm that they had not been on stage before the interval.  You can see from my photos above that the choir must have had about sixty people in it, so observation could not have been their strong point.  I could have easily turned round to correct them but it was just too funny to interrupt them.

@serenifly Indeed I had good seats in stalls block J, row 10.  I see from your picture that you must have been a little further round and a few rows forward.  They are usually good seats for live to film concerts, as you can see the screen and the orchestra easily without having to change your focus too much or crane your neck, while the sound is still good.

3 hours ago, Omen II said:

Yes, I think most of the audience were in the Christmas spirit and it was great to watch the film with an enthusiastic but respectful crowd.  There was a family with a couple of young children sitting to my left and although the little girl was obviously a little tired towards the end, she and her brother were roaring with laughter as Kevin inflicted catastrophic, life-changing injuries on the two hapless burglars.  Their laughter was infectious.

Ha! This was so true. Had the exact same experience near us.

3 hours ago, Omen II said:

Indeed I had good seats in stalls block J, row 10.  I see from your picture that you must have been a little further round and a few rows forward.  They are usually good seats for live to film concerts, as you can see the screen and the orchestra easily without having to change your focus too much or crane your neck, while the sound is still good.

Yeah, this kind of area is my go to for seating if they're available. I was in block L, row 6. For Azkaban I ended up in the front row of the arena and found it to be much better than I was expecting. You're getting a great close-up of certain members of the orchestra in exchange for missing some of the others who are out of view. The sound balance was quite different I think, but overall I'd be tempted to go for these again if available in the future.

My first Williams LTP concert was Home Alone in 2015.  Great show.

Last night I went to a Christmas concert and the evening ended with 3 Home Alone songs: Somewhere In My Memory, Star Of Bethlehem, and Merry Christmas.  I didn’t know they were going to play any of those so that was an awesome surprise.

• 7 months later...

This continues to be a massive holiday hit

NOVEMBER 2019

DECEMBER 2019

• 3 months later...

Saw this again yesterday! (My school's choir was performing this time, so I wanted to go!)

Gosh, I'd forgotten how awesome JW's "Listening to Carson" extension to end the first act is. Pure JW fanfaric awesomeness. I desperately want to hear it again... Maybe someone will manage to make a phone recording at some point. 

I saw the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra's performance of Home Alone last night and thought they did a great job. I was worried about 'Setting the Trap' based on previous comments, but it was well executed. 'Making the Plane' was more of a struggle. I think the highlight was hearing the choir in the second half - it would have been even better if they could have somehow slotted in the full version of 'Somewhere in My Memory' (we also got 'Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas' as the encore, which was lovely - it's my least favourite of the 5 (?) songs Williams wrote for the 2 movies, but it worked really well as a live performance).

I hadn't realised how sparsely scored parts of the film were - definitely a contrast to some other LTP concerts.

The conductor always - understandably - encourages the crowd to 'participate' by clapping throughout the performance, but personally I'd rather just listen to the music.

• 5 months later...