"A Conspiracy Unmasked" or Analyzing the Fellowship of the Ring CR

Faleel

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I think overall I like the London version better. I like the New Zealand opening (its supposed to play over Frodo's otherwise silent bit of internal conflict) and the mounting version of A Hobbit's Understanding on the Whistle, and than there's the extended whistle solo from the tribute to Andrew Lesnie which I believe was originally played in Cannes over a montage of footage from the next two entries.

As far as I know, all of the New Zealand recording was made for the Cannes presentation, which featured the full Moria sequence (without the Extended Edition inserts) with the associated composition, the Breaking of the Fellowship (with the unabridged version of the material heard in the fan credits) and a montage of material from the other two films, underscored with an extended tin whistle solo that can be heard in the Andew Lesnie tribute.

But as we all know, some of it wasn't even recorded at the time, and only done by the London Philharmonic after the fact and woven into the New Zealand material.

All of the Moria composition (including the material that would later end up in the Extended Edition) was recorded by the NZSO in April 2001.  All evidence points to the Extended Edition footage being included in the Cannes preview.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:37 AM, Jim Ware said:

All of the Moria composition (including the material that would later end up in the Extended Edition) was recorded by the NZSO in April 2001.  All evidence points to the Extended Edition footage being included in the Cannes preview.

So the NZSO recorded everything from the Doors of Durin, Moria, Gollum, Balin’s Tomb and Khazad-dûm? 

8 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

So the NZSO recorded everything from the Doors of Durin, Moria, Gollum, Balin’s Tomb and Khazad-dûm? 

Everything from the entry to the mines through to the end of Mabel Faletolu's solo.  Ten 'cues' if you want to call them that (Moria, Gollum, Dwarrowdelf, Balin's Tomb, Orc Attack, Cave Troll, Mithril Vest, The Second Hall, Khazad-Dûm, Balrog).

On the CR, The Doors of Durin and the tail end of Khazad-Dûm (where the orchestra takes up the melody of Faletolu's solu) were recorded with the LPO.

So you're saying the Cannes preview didn't show them outside working on the door, nor them being chased inside by the Watcher in the Water, it began with the scene of Gandalf lighting his staff?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

So you're saying the Cannes preview didn't show them outside working on the door, nor them being chased inside by the Watcher in the Water, it began with the scene of Gandalf lighting his staff?

Yes.  Although I've not seen it, there are a number of eyewitness reports out there:

http://www.theonering.com/news/the-lord-of-the-rings-movies/spoilers-cannes-day-two-lord-of-the-rings-footage-recap-oh-man-an-in-depth-review

It looks like it didn't include the whole balrog sequence or the final escape from the mines.

Doesn't mean it all ended up being used in the actual preview, though...

The mentions of the temp-track are very interesting, as well. It'd be very interesting indeed to know specific tracks with which the films were temped. I know it was a lot of previous Shore scores, but also some Plan 9 stuff, Braveheart (also prominent in the trailers), Last of the Mohicans, etc.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

What do you mean, no Balrog?  You just said the Balrog music was recorded by the NZO

The score was all recorded in April 2001, but the footage (and the music) was not all included in the Cannes preview, which cuts off at Gandalf's line 'you shall not pass'.

Re-reading all of the eyewitness accounts, it looks like the sequence showing Gollum (and the subsequent conversation between Gandalf and Frodo) wasn't in there either.

I wonder if the cannes preview had the footage scored by the cut music from Cave Troll and Khazad-Dum, or if that was for something only in animatic form

• 6 months later...
On 8/13/2014 at 2:35 AM, Jim Ware said:

More or less where it's positioned on the album, although bars have been trimmed before and after. It would have underscored the Nazgul entering the Prancing Pony and trashing the decoy room.

On 8/13/2014 at 12:16 PM, Jim Ware said:

Yes - you're only missing about ten seconds of material at 1:43.

Was just thinking about this, @Jim Ware what was this material?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Kühni said:

Query: below is the spectrum of the rip I made of the FotR CS DVD. What's the reason for it not being (or appearing as) lossless? Wrong way of ripping, wrong program, faulty CD drive? Or can't these DVDs be properly ripped at all?

Ta mucho! :)

fotr_spectrum.JPG

Because it is a DVD? and you Demuxed it to Vob?

15 hours ago, Kühni said:

Query: below is the spectrum of the rip I made of the FotR CS DVD. What's the reason for it not being (or appearing as) lossless? Wrong way of ripping, wrong program, faulty CD drive? Or can't these DVDs be properly ripped at all?

Ta mucho! :)

fotr_spectrum.JPG

You've ripped the compressed 448kbps AC3 track, not the 24/48 DVD-A track.

Yep

The DVD-Video track is like a "courtesy" almost, so those without a DVD-Audio player (which is completely different from having a DVD player) can still experience the 5.1 mix.  But you need a DVD-Audio player, or a way to rip it out, to experience the proper uncompressed 5.1 mix.  

This is why they very wisely replaced those discs with Blu-Ray discs for the reissue.  DVD-Audio as a format never REALLY took off, but the Blu Ray discs work in normal Blu Ray players so it was win win

• 2 years later...

Okay I'm working on my own edit of the Lord of the Rings score. My reach goal is to have a complete score edit of the trilogy for both the theatrical editions and the extended editions, plus a film version edit for both. For right now I'm just working on the film version edit since it's not that hard to compare back with the film.

Anyway while I'm working on it I'll post any notes or elaborations I have here.

On 24/11/2013 at 9:11 PM, Counterparts said:

Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe!

The first half is complete until 4:00, though the EE special features have a clean ending without Holm's voiceover.

The second half however, has a statement of the History of the Ring, tracked from Parth Galen, the original composition can be heard in the music featurette on the EE DVD and in the OST track "The Shadow of the Past"

The choir for the Nine leaving Minas Morgul is mixed low in the CR. there is a loop around 6:23, and a microedit at 7:04, The Lord of the Rings The Third Age game files has microedited section.

Since I got to this section I wanted to elaborate a bit on this microedit. I'm not sure if this was a typo or not but it appears to be at 7:12 in the CR track, not at 7:04.

Also strange that the complete recording even has a microedit here at all since in the film it plays complete.

The microedited section can be found in the Third Age game files, specifically from (I used a rip of the PS2 version) "GLOBSCEN127.ss2" around 3:57. It's worth noting that the track plays way too fast so you need to slow it down in Audacity. Make sure when you do so you adjust both pitch and speed. And the amount to slow by is 0.75

58 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

Since I got to this section I wanted to elaborate a bit on this microedit. I'm not sure if this was a typo or not but it appears to be at 7:12 in the CR track, not at 7:04.

Huh, my notes say the edit is at 7:10?

Also strange that the complete recording even has a microedit here at all since in the film it plays complete.

I guess Shore thought removing it improved the listening experience on album?

The microedited section can be found in the Third Age game files, specifically from (I used a rip of the PS2 version) "GLOBSCEN127.ss2" around 3:57. It's worth noting that the track plays way too fast so you need to slow it down in Audacity. Make sure when you do so you adjust both pitch and speed. And the amount to slow by is 0.75

:up:

On 24/11/2013 at 9:11 PM, Counterparts said:

A Conspiracy Unmasked

This track is what inspired me to write this.

The first portion is complete (minus 1 second of a clean opening.), however a small section at 0:48 was tracked over/replaced with brass notes from later in the cue, the original section can be heard in the Middle-Earth atlas on the EE features (during the transition to Rivendell) and the TE DVD menus.

One of the most interesting editing decisions on the FOTR CR is during Frodo and Gandalf's discussion of the One Ring, low brass play the Threat of Mordor, which is not on the CR, I believe the reason for this is because it would not flow naturally in to the History of the Ring theme, because this History theme statement is also tracked from Parth Galen!

The original piece would have featured the Footsteps of Doom End-cap, and a bit of incidental music that reminds of the Original version of the Siege of Gondor (presented on the Rarities disc), this original composition can be heard in the EE documentary on the Costumes, during the Saruman section.

A statement of the Threat of Mordor is not presented on the CR, the Third Age game has this statement.

Do you remember which game file contains the Threat of Mordor statement? I've skim listened to all of the files in my rip and I didn't notice anything that sounds like what's heard in the movie

I found the scene on youtube.  I never noticed that the Threat of Mordor statement as Gandalf says the ring has awoken Frodo brings up Sauron (2:23-2:33 in this video) is not included on the CR set!

• 3 months later...

Something that has been bugging me:

Orthanc from the CR, is it artifially extended around 0:20?

EDIT: The two similar bits seem to have differences, so if the track is edited, they either used a different take, or they did a very good job making it seem different.

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/05/2022 at 9:41 PM, enderdrag64 said:

Do you remember which game file contains the Threat of Mordor statement? I've skim listened to all of the files in my rip and I didn't notice anything that sounds like what's heard in the movie

Try 005 - GLOBACEN_127_000000.SS2

7 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Try 005 - GLOBACEN_127_000000.SS2

I took another look at that file and it seems you're right! The missing statement appears in it from 0:52-1:03. I must've missed it my first time through since it's so short and it doesn't feature any of the surrounding music from the film. Sort of makes me wonder if the statement in the film is tracked...

Thanks!

I feel that it isn't, since the other bit of music not on the CR or in the film uses very similar material, it feels like they would go together, if that makes sense