Alan Silvestri's The Abyss - 2CD Deluxe Edition

Jay

Check out the official website of D2 Mastering:

http://d2mastering.com/

Click "Clients" in the upper left, and scroll down to "Soundtracks/Soundtrack Reissues 2013"

BOOM.

post-50-0-90858800-1385414114_thumb.png

NOTE: I did not discover this myself, and if I had I would not have publicly posted about it in order to let the specialty labels do their own announcing. This was discovered by ScottDS on FSM and posted there, so I wanted to create a thread to discuss the news here. Again, no disrespect meant to Varese, I did not make this discovery or break this news. See the FSM thread where it broke here:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=98243&forumID=1&archive=0

I didn't find it - if I did, I certainly wouldn't have publicly posted that D2 Mastering is giving away specialty label's upcoming releases before they are announced!

It was posted in this thread on FSM, so I guess it's fair game:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=98243&forumID=1&archive=0

Hmm, this is a fine score in the Silvestri catalogue no doubt about it, but I'm not sure there's much in the way of unreleased material I'd be keen to hear since a lot of the underscore is typical Silvestri franchise cross-over stuff. The quieter musically touching and then the epic highlights are already in my keeping, so I'm good.

Never heard it. Insta-skip. Always avoided the movie too.

That's pretty poor behaviour, because what you don't realise is those aforementioned epic parts are FUCKING EPIC.

Bingo on what Jay said. Just like they own the rights to Air Force One, Volcano, Back To The Future Part 3, Predator 2 and quite a few others from that time period in perpetuity.

But that doesn't mean they can't theoretically sell the rights to someone else, right? Or is that unprecedented?

Well, while that is theoretically possible it has yet to ever happen.

Deluxe Edition. Means it's far from complete, lift off important cues or anything you want.

I guess it depends on who the editor is. Die Hard 2, Mike Matessino was the editor but that ended up being complete.

Most Deluxe Editions are complete, and great releases.... People just spend the time talking about the incomplete ones.

Quite frankly, is Total Recall really missing anything all that interesting?

The other three were indeed big disappointments that should have been complete.

But that doesn't mean they can't theoretically sell the rights to someone else, right? Or is that unprecedented?

Well, while that is theoretically possible it has yet to ever happen.

Home Alone 2, The fury, etc... those were in different terms, then

This sucker is gonna sell out quick! I'll be buying it in a heart beat! I've been wanting to hear this in complete remastered form for YEARS. Nice find Jay!

How are we sure it's complete? maybe it's just a remaster/reissue?

There's still some small pieces missing... especially for the entire "Sub Battle" chase and a few other parts. I think "Sub Battle" on the album is actually "The Crane Falls" but mis-labeled. Although in the film it uses a tad bit of it at the beginning of the film. I do wonder if there was some unused music for certain parts but was replaced with tracked music.

I wonder if it will have the music that underscores the wave sequence, and build-up to this ("Where do you get off judging us?")?

I am NOT sure how accurate I am so don't quote me...but I THINK that was done by another composer again, not entirely sure.

Edit: According to IMDB Robert Garrett is credited for additional music for the "Special Edition". Which I think was that bit you're talking about and I think at the end of "Back On The Air". In the Special Edition for that particular cue Silvestri's music gets lopped off towards the end and replaced with some odd out of place synth music that did seem to match from previous scenes.

Thanks for that, Trent. I once read un-confirmed reports that some music from "The Seventh Sign" was also included in the wave scene. Anyone know about this?

That I do not know, sorry.

BTW I have been watching the movie tonight and I forgot how butchered up Silvestri's score is in the film. I bet there maybe some stuff we've never heard before. I do hope that this will be a full complete release...

Does the original album say who the music editor was? Mine ended up getting destroyed years ago so I don't have a copy to look...

Edit: There's also a lot of cool tension underscore that I'd love to hear.

Quite frankly, is Total Recall really missing anything all that interesting?

I'm never around when this question comes up lol

but the DE is missing the film version of "The Dream", plus the other source cues by Goldsmith, and the Last Resort music by Bruno Louchouarn

I'm not looking for a list, I'm looking for someone who really, truly values the missing material.

Um.

Look at the post above yours.

his enthusiasm makes it obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

This release looks amazing, I can't wait to get it!

a207918142c94c2b09a44c_l.jpg

a207918142c94c70a153bf_l.jpg

The Abyss: The Deluxe Edition

SKU: VCL-1144
UPC: VCL12131144
Artist: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Title: The Abyss: The Deluxe Edition
Composer: Alan Silvestri
Release Date: 01/06/14
Release Info: Limited Edition of 3000 copies
Price: $24.98
THE ABYSS: The Deluxe Edition
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Music Composed and Conducted by Alan Silvestri
2 CDs
Another true classic joins the return of our CD Club. Alan Silvestri’s The Abyss is one of the most loved and acclaimed scores of the 80s. Alan teamed up with director James Cameron for his 1989 underwater action epic and delivered a massive work for orchestra, choir and synthesizers. The score features moments of serene beauty, gripping tension, powerful action and utterly glorious swells from the orchestra and choir. It all sounds better than ever in our new Deluxe Edition.
A civilian oil rig crew is recruited to conduct a search and rescue effort when a nuclear submarine mysteriously sinks. One diver (Ed Harris) soon finds himself on a spectacular odyssey 25,000 feet below the ocean's surface where he confronts an enigmatic force that has the power to change the world or destroy it. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Michael Biehn co-star.
CDs will begin shipping the week of January 6.
Limited Edition of 3000 copies
Price: $24.98
Catalog #: VCL 1213 1144
Disc One (56:50)
1. Opening Title (:42)
2. Montana / Crash / Flood (2:01)
3. Marker Buoy / They’re Coming (1:17)
4. Let Me Drown Your Rat / Search The Montana (10:09)
5. Jammer Freaks (3:30)
6. He’s Convulsing (1:14)
7. MIRV Recovery / SEALs Return (2:03)
8. Crashing Crane (2:08)
9. What A Drag (2:01)
10. The Draggiest Man (1:22)
11. Lindsey’s Close Encounter (6:23)
12. Here’s MIRV / Some Huevos (2:27)
13. Have To Take Steps / Jarhead Is Watching (1:13)
14. The Pseudopod (5:35)
15. Coffey Break (1:56)
16. Freeze (3:40)
17. Bud And Cat Dive / Click (:59)
18. The Fight (1:52)
19. What A Drag (Original) (6:05)
Disc Two (57:28)
1. Coffey Implodes (1:09)
2. The Only Way (7:49)
3. Resurrection (2:00)
4. Bud’s Big Dive (6:40)
5. Defusing The Bomb (2:17)
6. Bud On The Ledge (3:12)
7. Bud Reborn / Blinky Bows (3:22)
8. Back On The Air (1:47)
9. Finale And End Credits (4:47)
Bonus Tracks:
10. Opening Title (Demo) (:43)
11. Flood And Sinking (Alternate) / Unused Synth Cue (1:01)
12. Crashing Crane (Alternate) (2:08)
13. What A Drag (Wild Original) (4:33)
14. Some Huevos (Alternate) (1:19)
15. The Pseudopod (Alternate) (5:33)
16. The Fight (Alternate) (1:51)
17. The Only Way (Alternate) (4:54)
18. Lindsey Dies (Alternate) (1:05)
19. Vocal Insert (:56)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1141/The-Abyss-cln--The-Deluxe/Detail

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/26529

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M09207/abyss-deluxe/

The samples do sound great. It sucks we have to wait a month to get them in the mail.. :(

BTW Jason you should change the title of the thread and remove "unofficially confirmed".

Would people recommend this score a person who only knows the music through the magnificent choral finale. Does the rest of the score contain equally engaging (if not as dramatic) material?