• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Bespin

The Official Jazz Music thread

177 posts in this topic

The Official Jazz Music thread

A Québec classic

...A Frenchy one, and an american classic. :)

Jardin d'hiver by Henri Salvador on Grooveshark

Happy Jazzy Friday!

Part 1 - Acknowledgement by John Coltrane on Grooveshark

The Adventures Of Tintin by John Williams on Grooveshark

I've been trying to break into jazz for awhile. Been doing it slowly but surely. I'm sort of in the same boat that I am with classical music in that I have no knowledge about any of it and am very picky with what I like.

Bespin likes this

Sketches_On_Star_Wars_VSD5794_zps2896dfe

Alex

Buy this one at the time it went out, never listen to it twice...  :)

Beautiful and rare interpretation of "Make Me Rainbows" by Nancy Wilson.  Restored from the original LP.

I've been trying to break into jazz for awhile. Been doing it slowly but surely. I'm sort of in the same boat that I am with classical music in that I have no knowledge about any of it and am very picky with what I like.

Whatever you do, don't start with "Bitch's Brew"; it's the "Tales From Topographic Oceans" of Miles Davis!

"The Birth Of The CooL", "In A Silent Way", and "Kind Of Blue" are all good places to start.

If you prefer piano, then some early 70s Herbie Hancock, is good.

If you like vocal, then you can do no better than the great Sarah Vaughan.

Whatever you do, don't start with "Bitch's Brew"; it's the "Tales From Topographic Oceans" of Miles Davis!

:lol:

:lol:

I have and like Kind Of Blue. I have a couple Coltrane albums and one by Hancock. There are the usual suspects of jazz that I really dig, stuff from Ellington and the likes. Music featured in Woody Allen's film I really like.

Woody's stuff is more what you'd call swing or big band, I guess. Try Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller for that. And Thad Jones/Mel Lewis are great fun. And obviously Gershwin. How about Thelonious Monk? And Bill Evans' solo/trio stuff if you liked Kind of Blue. What Herbie album do you have? Graduate to Head Hunters as soon as you can.

Woody's stuff is more what you'd call swing or big band, I guess. Try Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller for that. And Thad Jones/Mel Lewis are great fun. And obviously Gershwin. How about Thelonious Monk? And Bill Evans' solo/trio stuff if you liked Kind of Blue. What Herbie album do you have? Graduate to Head Hunters as soon as you can.

Oooh! "Head Hunters".Well said.

Oooh! "Head Hunters".Well said.

Yeah that's the album I have. I listened to it once, it's alright.

LOL. I remember back in the day when YouTube imposed a 10 min. video limit in an effort to head off unauthorized uploads. How things have changed.