The Official Jazz Music thread

Bespin

To be honest, John Denver or The Carpenters are typically 'Easy Listening' artists, are they not? Love some of their songs too! Yes, even John Denver!

You do realize you just posted that online, right? I mean it's out there now

To be honest, John Denver or The Carpenters are typically 'Easy Listening' artists, are they not? Love some of their songs too! Yes, even John Denver!

You do realize you just posted that online, right? I mean it's out there now...forever!

You do realize you just posted that online, right? I mean it's out there now...forever!

I'm hiding behind an avatar, I can say what I want.

Alexandre

I don't know Alex, I wasn't really using the term according to any typical definition, just the impression the music gave me.

The ways she sings, the tristesse of the song and lyrics ... for me it's Chet Baker.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

<p>A beautiful jazz reprise of a Félix Leclerc song.</p>

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" src="http://www.deezer.com/plugins/player?autoplay=false&playlist=false&width=700&height=80&cover=true&type=tracks&id=77477261&title=&app_id=undefined" width="700" height="80"></iframe>

• 1 month later...

Check out this absolutely ridiculous post over on vi-control about how jazz is "unmusical." I can't bring myself to even read the rest of the thread. That place... ugh.

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44397&start=0

"The dry knock of an idiotic hammer penetrates the outer stillness. One, two, three, ten, twenty strikes and afterwards a wild whistling and squeaking as if a ball of mud was falling into clear water, then follows a rattling, howling and screaming like the clamour of a metal pig, the cry of a donkey or the amorous croaking of a monstrous frog. The offensive chaos of this insanity combines into a compulsive, pulsing rhythm. Listen to this screaming for only a few minutes and one involuntarily pictures an orchestra of sexually wound-up madmen conducted by a stallion-like creature who is swinging his giant genitals." - Maxim Gorky, giving his opinion about jazz music.

I like quite a wide range of jazz myself from Chick Corea to Miles Davis's Bitches Brew and beyond.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For some reason a lot of the videos/mp3 files that were posted from sites other than youtube weren't loading so I couldn't hear/see most of them. However, when scrolling through this I immediately thought of this song. I love these two so much. Why can't we have artists like them today? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xum6ULWbIX0

• 2 weeks later...

This years marks the 50th anniversary of the mythic Québécois album recorded by Claude Léveillée and André Gagnon in 1965.

The quintessential Quebec piano jazz album.

• 1 month later...

Some friends from NYC that I used to jam with are in LA this weekend. We're trying this for the first time tonight in Santa Monica... hope I manage about a tenth of what Tyner does here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some "Soviet jazz" from one of my favourite composers (Nikolai Kapustin):

(The second one comes from a film so the video of the band is not entirely accurate.)

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched a marvellous film yesterday (no, I'm not in the wrong thread):

THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS about 2 jazz pianists-brothers (the Bridges Brothers) and a singer (an excellent Oscar nominated Michelle Pfeiffer).

It triggered my interest in jazz, and I found this list here with 10 essential albums to listen to:

http://www.jazz.org/blog/10-essential-jazz-albums/

I'm trying to find what are considered the Star Wars, Jaws, Lawrence of Arabia, Gone with the Wind etc. in jazz music.

I have listened to the first 5 albums in that list.

My favourite one is the Ella and Louis album.

I generally love slow, soft jazz.

The thing about most of jazz thought that kept me from listening to it is that the improvisatory character of it, makes me not remember the music and not know which piece is which.

It feels like you don't have something to grab on..

Anyway, if anyone more knowledgeable has other suggestions too about the absolute essential jazz albums (or can guide me to a list with essential albums from some highly esteemed source), please say so.

There are so many lists in the net, don't know where to start.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...