The Official Jazz Music thread

Bespin

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

Something about "not stopping", n'est pas?

It means "Don't leave me".

You know this song of Jacques Brel?

Don't leave me

One has to forget

All can be forgotton

which already flees

Forget the time

Of misunderstandings

And the lost times

To know how

To forget those hours

Which would occasionally kill

By blows of why

The heart full of joy

Don't leave me

Don't leave me

Don't leave me

Don't leave me...

Returning back to Aznavour... check this one @Richard

And a last one that I discovered today, another great Aznavour song (Me voilà seul --> Here I am, alone).

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe 3/4 of the material of this playlist is not available outsite Canada (please tell me)... but here's a good selection of Jukebox's hits from the 50s in Québec.

French and Québec crooners.

I really love this « 50's » sound... seems to relate to a more civilized time.... a slower time, when people took the time to live... and wrote beautiful songs.

Johnny Mercer: The Dream's On Me (2009, TCM)

Featuring John Williams (p): I Had Myself A True Love (performed by Audra McDonald)

IMG_1974.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

That was our National holiday in Québec yesterday.

This year we celebrate the 375th anniversary of the foundation of Montréal by Sieur Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve and Jeanne Mance.

Here is is perhaps, the most beautiful québécois song.

When men Will Live for Love

When men will live for love
There will be no more misery
And the beautiful days will start
But we, we will be dead my brother

This will bring peace to the world
The soldiers will be troubadours

In the great chain of life
Where we had to go
Where we had to be
We got the worst part

But when men will live for love
Then there will be no more misery
Maybe they will think one day
Of we who will be dead, my brother

We who will have bad days
In hatred and in war
To search for the peace, to search for the love,
That they will know my brother

In the great chain of life
So that there can be better times
Some losses are necessary
The wisdom here that's the price

A guy that I just discovered on Spotify, he makes great jazz playlists with a French touch.

Le son Jazz des Berges

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Richard said:

If you like this, try Georgie Fame, and Barbara Dennerlein.

I've heard a few songs by Fame, never heard of Dennerlein.

For a few years now I've been getting really into the soul jazz tradition of America in the 60s to early 70s.  No disrespect to those European artists, but the tinge of African-American church music tradition that seeps into soul jazz performances (in addition to the influences of bebop, blues, and funk) make it irresistible to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been a jazz kinda morning.

Moved on to cool-as-ice urban vocal jazz

On Thursday I went to a fantastic Proms concert devoted to the music of Charles Mingus featuring the Metropole Orkest conducted by Jules Buckley.  I was very unfamiliar with Mingus apart from his well known Moanin', but left the Royal Albert Hall a definite convert.  I had bought tickets largely on the strength of the same orchestra's superb Quincy Jones tribute last year.

There were five excellent soloists (quite apart from those in the orchestra): Shabaka Hutchings on bass clarinet, Christian Scott on trumpet, trombonist Bart van Lier, singer Kandace Springs and the incredible Leo Pellegrino on baritone saxophone.  If you are unfamiliar with Leo P, check out this performance of Charles Mingus's Moanin' with a very special introduction...

Luckily the concert was also broadcast on TV on Friday, so those with access to BBC iPlayer can watch the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw these insanely talented men live today in Ghent. This one's so catchy! Bart Defoort himself (on saxophone here) seemed quite nervous, or exhilarated at least, and very humble. I was particularly impressed by the pianist's acrobatics!

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yesterday was Gershwin's birthday.  Below are 3 of my favorite minutes in music.  Gershwin himself playing my favorite Gershwin song "Someone to Watch Over Me" in 1926.

If you like Gershwin's music (who doesn't?) you might enjoy this performance of the Overture for the 1945 Gershwin biopic Rhapsody In Blue, arranged by the legendary Ray Heindorf for the film and featuring many of Gershwin's most popular tunes.

8 minutes ago, Omen II said:

If you like Gershwin's music (who doesn't?) you might enjoy this performance of the Overture for the 1945 Gershwin biopic Rhapsody In Blue, arranged by the legendary Ray Heindorf for the film and featuring many of Gershwin's most popular tunes.

I just watched this whole thing and it's very well-done!

For me, the gold standard of re-arranging Gershwin is Nelson Riddle's work for Ella Fitzgerald's "Gershwin Song Book" project.  They may be irrevocably tied to the 50s big band sound, but there are so many unexpected and wonderful details he adds.  So many of his arrangements for that are the "default" way the song is supposed to sound in my head.

But of course we can't forget Alexander Courage's classic arrangement of Porgy & Bess for our Johnny and the BPO.

On 9/27/2017 at 5:48 AM, Disco Stu said:

Yesterday was Gershwin's birthday.  Below are 3 of my favorite minutes in music.  Gershwin himself playing my favorite Gershwin song "Someone to Watch Over Me" in 1926.

It's perfect, essential listening.

Stuff like this is where I think Gershwin really shone. I really dislike the "big stuff" (namely Rhapsody in Blue, Overture in F, etc.), because I get this really strong try-hard vibe (which I also hear in a lot of so-called third stream music), but with things like what you posted, I hear a much more natural voice that probably accomplishes Gershwin's goals much more strongly. 

One of my favorites, a huge influence on me:

Congratulations to the great British writer Kazuo Ishiguro on his Nobel Prize for Literature!

Fun fact: he wrote lyrics for a great jazz album a few years back.

1 minute ago, Woj said:

I'd like to take this moment to do a really bad impression of Steef in a thread he does not belong, and point out that jazz is boring music. 

For someone who always complains about redundant posts you do make a fair few yourself, mate.

• 2 weeks later...

M2-_mrKGLh7dvoXPnFf1ny2zcRdx8j0BFy_YfsLa

Tracks 3 - 9 are something truly special for people like me, who are interested in orchestral jazz.  "The Charlie Brown Suite" is the great Vince Guaraldi Trio performing with a small orchestral ensemble of strings, winds, horns, and some percussion.  Hearing these venerable cool jazz classics adapted for such an ensemble is an emotional, gorgeous listening experience.

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...