The Official Jazz Music thread

Bespin

Catching on quick! Strayhorn loved writing for Hodges. Another one he did was Bluebird... . 

An unfortunate stereotype musicologists have made is since Strayhorn was gay, he was responsible for the "feminine" music. Ellington could get pretty damn sensitive too!

I've been listening to this music for years and just had honestly never thought about possible differences between them.  I had tacitly accepted the credits as meaning they were equal collaborators always.

Which is fine, probably.  It's all about the final product after all.  It's very interesting though to reapproach old favorites with a new paradigm in mind.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I've been listening to this music for years and just had honestly never thought about possible differences between them.  I had tacitly accepted the credits as meaning they were equal collaborators always.

Which is fine, probably.  It's all about the final product after all.  It's very interesting though to reapproach old favorites with a new paradigm in mind.

Call me mired in Western notions of individuality, but I actuslly really like being able to listen to a piece and being able to say "Good job, ____ !" And hearing their unique personalities play out. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My god it's beautiful (I obviously knew this was Strayhorn solo already, it's just amazing)

As played by Ellington. ;) This album was made as tribute after Strayhorn passed away, I believe. 

Just now, Nick Parker said:

As played by Ellington. ;) This album was made as tribute after Strayhorn passed away, I believe. 

Yep.  The legend goes that he was pretty devastated by Strayhorn's death.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yep.  The legend goes that he was pretty devastated by Strayhorn's death.

Very. They were super tight, so tight that it's surprising they haven't turned it into a biopic! They did it with The Room!

On individuality, it's more difficult to do this with someone like Michael Jackson, but even listening and cross checking his composition credits reveals a lot of trademarks unique to him that was consistent throughout his career.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

@Disco Stu You like Charles Mingus?

I'm really only familiar with three albums, but yeah I like him.  I have Mingus Ah UmCharles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (of course, it's a Jazz 101 album).

This is 100% my favorite single recording by him.  This is an all-timer for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 7:44 PM, Disco Stu said:

I'm really only familiar with three albums, but yeah I like him.  I have Mingus Ah UmCharles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (of course, it's a Jazz 101 album).

This is 100% my favorite single recording by him.  This is an all-timer for me.

All about this one.

You're talkin' my language, Grey! There's a ton of Mingus I can throw in,  but I'll just do one for now.

Or if you prefer a more to the point, in your face rendition: 

This tune can produce some moist eyes if I'm in a certain mood.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy to see one of my favorite albums of the year, John Hollenbeck's "All Can Work," get nominated for Best Large Ensemble Jazz Album Grammy.

Check this Kraftwerk cover.

• 4 months later...

Holy fuck this arrangement.  I'm in awe.  It just melts me away.

Dick Hyman - Autumn Leaves

It's this really cool blending of a mannered, classical (very Russian) piano style with a dreamy jazz ballad.  Wonderful!

Today’s bike ride listening.  Some red hot groovin’ soul jazz.  The band is LOCKED IN together. The interplay is amazing 

John Patton - Blue John

EC286495-C6B5-4341-88BC-59A601AF4C2C.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

McCoy Tyner's Tender Moments is one of my best-loved jazz albums.  I revisited it early this week.

Tyner put together a nonet for the record, which is maybe my favorite type of jazz combo.  For me it's the perfect balance between the intimacy and personal interplay of smaller groups with the incredibly satisfying chordal timbres and intricate arrangements you get with big bands/large ensembles.  It's also pretty unique in that a third of the nonet is taken up by the low brass; Tyner employed a trombone, a french horn, and a tuba.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

McCoy Tyner's Tender Moments is one of my best-loved jazz albums.  I revisited it early this week.

I'm not a fan of Tyner, but this sounds interesting to check out! 

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm not a fan of Tyner, but this sounds interesting to check out! 

He’s not an idol of mine or anything but he did make a couple more VERY large ensemble (but not big band) recordings in the 70s that I just love.  Incredibly ambitious and interesting records.

Definitely check this out if you’re interested in orchestral jazz that isn’t just nostalgic pops arrangements.

I didn't know there was a jazz thread!

Been listening to some University of North Texas performances, they're great!

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

He’s not an idol of mine or anything but he did make a couple more VERY large ensemble (but not big band) recordings in the 70s that I just love.  Incredibly ambitious and interesting records.

Thanks for the recommendation! Are you familiar with Wayne Shorter's All Seeing Eye? 

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 4:19 AM, Alexcremers said:

The father of Bossa Nova has died.

:(

A pioneer who helped set waves that would directly shape so much music afterwards. 

At least we still have certain luminaries such as Nascimento and Veloso among us.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Louis Cole & Genevieve Artadi with the WDR Big Band

cc @Nick Parker

Oh hell yeah! I checked out Knower a couple of years ago, they have a great sense of humor while keeping the the badass integrity of their tunes in tact. Weird how the WDR Big Band is _the_ big band of the last 20 something years.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn’t realize Siri had come on while I was talking to my sons and it somehow took this "command" to mean I wanted to listen to Dave Brubeck :P

And you know what?  I did!

A808D963-5566-4F4C-94D9-830ECB32FCA6.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Lalo Schifrin's jazz arrangement of Aaron Copland's "El Salon Mexico."  Worlds collide!

I can't check right now, is that from his Jazz Meets the Symphony series, or is it a different arrangement? 

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

I can't check right now, is that from his Jazz Meets the Symphony series, or is it a different arrangement? 

I’m pretty sure it’s the same arrangement but an earlier recording.  The one I posted is from the 1965 album “New Fantasy” 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Fantasy

I’m fairly certain he just reused that arrangement for the 2005 album “Kaleidoscope: Jazz Meets the Symphony 6.”

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m pretty sure it’s the same arrangement but an earlier recording.  The one I posted is from the 1965 album “New Fantasy” 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Fantasy

I’m fairly certain he just reused that arrangement for the 2005 album “Kaleidoscope: Jazz Meets the Symphony 6.”

Just checking now. So for the 1965 recording he wrote it for the usual big band-ish ensemble he was doing at the time (see albums like "Gillespiana"), whereas the 2005 one, as I suspected, is more a straight-up orchestral piece in line with the rest of the series, utilizing strings, woodwinds, etc.

18 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Just checking now. So for the 1965 recording he wrote it for the usual big band-ish ensemble he was doing at the time (see albums like "Gillespiana"), whereas the 2005 one, as I suspected, is more a straight-up orchestral piece in line with the rest of the series, utilizing strings, woodwinds, etc.

Right right.  He added orchestration, but it’s essentially the same adaptation of the original structurally.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Right right.  He added orchestration, but it’s essentially the same adaptation of the original structurally.

Ah okay, I didn't know what changes about a minute and a half's difference between the two videos would be.

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Well, since we're on the subject of Schifrin.

I bought that album at an actual record store when I was in my late teens just because I wanted to hear Dizzy's take on "Desafinado."  My one bossa nova hot take is that the definitive version of that song is the Getz/Byrd recording not the Getz/Gilberto one.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I bought that album at an actual record store when I was in my late teens just because I wanted to hear Dizzy's take on "Desafinado."  My hot take is that the definitive version of that song is the Getz/Byrd recording not the Getz/Gilberto one.

You filthy rat!  I think my favorite Jobim tune is Dindi. Is "Desafinado" yours?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...