The Official Jazz Music thread

Bespin

The Official Jazz Music thread

A Québec classic

...A Frenchy one, and an american classic. :)

Jardin d'hiver by Henri Salvador on Grooveshark

Happy Jazzy Friday!

Part 1 - Acknowledgement by John Coltrane on Grooveshark

The Adventures Of Tintin by John Williams on Grooveshark

Sketches_On_Star_Wars_VSD5794_zps2896dfe

Alex

Buy this one at the time it went out, never listen to it twice...  :)

Beautiful and rare interpretation of "Make Me Rainbows" by Nancy Wilson.  Restored from the original LP.

I've been trying to break into jazz for awhile. Been doing it slowly but surely. I'm sort of in the same boat that I am with classical music in that I have no knowledge about any of it and am very picky with what I like.

Whatever you do, don't start with "Bitch's Brew"; it's the "Tales From Topographic Oceans" of Miles Davis!

"The Birth Of The CooL", "In A Silent Way", and "Kind Of Blue" are all good places to start.

If you prefer piano, then some early 70s Herbie Hancock, is good.

If you like vocal, then you can do no better than the great Sarah Vaughan.

I've been trying to break into jazz for awhile. Been doing it slowly but surely. I'm sort of in the same boat that I am with classical music in that I have no knowledge about any of it and am very picky with what I like.

Whatever you do, don't start with "Bitch's Brew"; it's the "Tales From Topographic Oceans" of Miles Davis!

:lol:

:lol:

I have and like Kind Of Blue. I have a couple Coltrane albums and one by Hancock. There are the usual suspects of jazz that I really dig, stuff from Ellington and the likes. Music featured in Woody Allen's film I really like.

Woody's stuff is more what you'd call swing or big band, I guess. Try Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller for that. And Thad Jones/Mel Lewis are great fun. And obviously Gershwin. How about Thelonious Monk? And Bill Evans' solo/trio stuff if you liked Kind of Blue. What Herbie album do you have? Graduate to Head Hunters as soon as you can.

Woody's stuff is more what you'd call swing or big band, I guess. Try Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller for that. And Thad Jones/Mel Lewis are great fun. And obviously Gershwin. How about Thelonious Monk? And Bill Evans' solo/trio stuff if you liked Kind of Blue. What Herbie album do you have? Graduate to Head Hunters as soon as you can.

Oooh! "Head Hunters".Well said.

Oooh! "Head Hunters".Well said.

Yeah that's the album I have. I listened to it once, it's alright.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And all I said was that it isn't what I look for in jazz, and fits into a different category in my mind.

Why get so pissy about it?

If you'd like to hear the three vocal jazz tunes I've written, I'll talk to the vocalist and clear distributing the recordings with her.

Alex, no one who posts here can really be a serious composer! I'm sure he just doodles around on a MIDI keyboard.

In these cases you're actually somewhat right. Most of the jazz writing I've done has involved capturing improvisations in MIDI form and then refining them into more fully formed, composed pieces.