• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Bespin

The Official Jazz Music thread

177 posts in this topic

192987.jpg

Aznavour will turn 90 on May 22, Happy Anniversary!

I can't believe Gardot wrote this herself. This is a classic! One for the Great American Songbook!

Not at all. it has very little to do with Tom Jones or Bing Crosby. It's very much what I said it is.

And all I said was that it isn't what I look for in jazz, and fits into a different category in my mind.

Why get so pissy about it?

If you'd like to hear the three vocal jazz tunes I've written, I'll talk to the vocalist and clear distributing the recordings with her.

Alex, no one who posts here can really be a serious composer! I'm sure he just doodles around on a MIDI keyboard.

Alex, no one who posts here can really be a serious composer! I'm sure he just doodles around on a MIDI keyboard.

In these cases you're actually somewhat right. Most of the jazz writing I've done has involved capturing improvisations in MIDI form and then refining them into more fully formed, composed pieces.

To be honest, John Denver or The Carpenters are typically 'Easy Listening' artists, are they not? Love some of their songs too! Yes, even John Denver!

You do realize you just posted that online, right? I mean it's out there now

To be honest, John Denver or The Carpenters are typically 'Easy Listening' artists, are they not? Love some of their songs too! Yes, even John Denver!

You do realize you just posted that online, right? I mean it's out there now...forever!

Gnome in Plaid likes this

You do realize you just posted that online, right? I mean it's out there now...forever!

I'm hiding behind an avatar, I can say what I want.

Alexandre

I don't know Alex, I wasn't really using the term according to any typical definition, just the impression the music gave me.

The ways she sings, the tristesse of the song and lyrics ... for me it's Chet Baker.

I'm hiding behind an avatar, I can say what I want.

There are some that know what you look like, Alex. Right Lee! ;)

"The dry knock of an idiotic hammer penetrates the outer stillness. One, two, three, ten, twenty strikes and afterwards a wild whistling and squeaking as if a ball of mud was falling into clear water, then follows a rattling, howling and screaming like the clamour of a metal pig, the cry of a donkey or the amorous croaking of a monstrous frog. The offensive chaos of this insanity combines into a compulsive, pulsing rhythm. Listen to this screaming for only a few minutes and one involuntarily pictures an orchestra of sexually wound-up madmen conducted by a stallion-like creature who is swinging his giant genitals." - Maxim Gorky, giving his opinion about jazz music.

I like quite a wide range of jazz myself from Chick Corea to Miles Davis's Bitches Brew and beyond.

For some reason a lot of the videos/mp3 files that were posted from sites other than youtube weren't loading so I couldn't hear/see most of them. However, when scrolling through this I immediately thought of this song. I love these two so much. Why can't we have artists like them today? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xum6ULWbIX0

This years marks the 50th anniversary of the mythic Québécois album recorded by Claude Léveillée and André Gagnon in 1965.

The quintessential Quebec piano jazz album.