• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Bespin

The Official Jazz Music thread

177 posts in this topic

Oops, sorry didn't see it!

But yeah, I've just discovered this guy. He's amazing! It's a shame he stopped scoring films in the 60's. Could have been one of the greats.

The Finnish The Five Corners Quintet is playing some excellent stuff

This was shared with me recently and I want to share it here as well. It's Donald Dumler, formerly organist of St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC for several decades. A few years ago he had an accident which effectively ended his tenure in that position and he now lives elsewhere near family. I can feel his unmistakable musicianship undiminished in this, that subtle touch at 1:09, I would know anywhere. It's very poignant for me and I gather for many others as well whose lives Donald touched with his music over the years.

nightscape94 likes this

Some friends from NYC that I used to jam with are in LA this weekend. We're trying this for the first time tonight in Santa Monica... hope I manage about a tenth of what Tyner does here.

Oh hell yeah.

Been trying to figure out the subdvisions in the main riff. It's something like 7/8, 6/8, 7/8, 5/8, 7/8 and 7/8. Would do you hear?

Some "Soviet jazz" from one of my favourite composers (Nikolai Kapustin):

(The second one comes from a film so the video of the band is not entirely accurate.)

9:10 - 10:10

Absolutely love this crazy little passage.

The title of the piece is not Afro-Bossa as stated by the host, however, but Bula.

I just watched a marvellous film yesterday (no, I'm not in the wrong thread):

THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS about 2 jazz pianists-brothers (the Bridges Brothers) and a singer (an excellent Oscar nominated Michelle Pfeiffer).

It triggered my interest in jazz, and I found this list here with 10 essential albums to listen to:

http://www.jazz.org/blog/10-essential-jazz-albums/

I'm trying to find what are considered the Star Wars, Jaws, Lawrence of Arabia, Gone with the Wind etc. in jazz music.

I have listened to the first 5 albums in that list.

My favourite one is the Ella and Louis album.

I generally love slow, soft jazz.

The thing about most of jazz thought that kept me from listening to it is that the improvisatory character of it, makes me not remember the music and not know which piece is which.

It feels like you don't have something to grab on..

Anyway, if anyone more knowledgeable has other suggestions too about the absolute essential jazz albums (or can guide me to a list with essential albums from some highly esteemed source), please say so.

There are so many lists in the net, don't know where to start.

Who else here is a fan of the ECM guys? Eberhard Weber, Terje Rypdal, Pat Metheny, John Abercrombie, Ralph Towner, Chick Corea et al. I can't get enough of this shit.

1 hour ago, Sharky said:

Who else here is a fan of the ECM guys?...Pat Metheny...

I'm slightly familiar with Metheny.  I adore Orchestrion (the musical piece, not so much the entire album)

Goodbye, au revoir, ciao Gato Barbieri.

Not strictly jazz, but The Cat Empire infuse so many different genres together, I can't help but marvel at their individuality. One of my favorite bands, and this is my favorite song off their new album.

The International Montreal Jazz Festival has begun, it gave the idea for this new playlist.

John Williams' Jazz

Some early Williams! In summer, I listen to Jazz!

p_fsrcd_2259.jpg

Remembers John Kirby/The Big Small Bands (2011, Fresh Sound Records, FSRCD 2259, Compilation)

Featuring John T. Williams (p) (o)

p_bcp_6025.jpg

World on a String (1957, Bethlehem, BCP-6025)
Let's Fall In Love; Over The Rainbow; My Shining Hour; Here's What I'm Here For; Come Rain Or Come Shine; That Old Black Magic; Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea; Hit The Road To Dreamland; Stormy Weather; I've Got The World On A String; Sleepin' Bee; Get Happy.

p_c_8043.jpg

The Johnny Williams Orchestra Plays Sounds from Screen Spectaculars (1957, Craftsmen, C-8043)
Dearly Beloved; Pennies From Heaven (Vocal: Doris Drew); Brazil; Exactly Like You (Vocal: Bob Grabeau); Long Ago (And Far Away); On The Sunny Side Of The Street; Put The Blame On Mame (Vocal: Doris Drew); I'm Old Fashioned.

p_1126_2.jpg

(Reissued in 1996 as "Movie Memories [Big Hits]", Simitar/Pickwick, 1126-2, 10 tracks, Stereo)

Theme from "Picnic"; Dearly Beloved; Brazil; Exactly Like You (Vocal: Bob Grabeau); On The Sunny Side Of The Street; Pennies From Heaven (Vocal: Doris Drew); I'm Old Fashioned; Long Ago And Far Away; Put The Blame On Mame (Vocal: Doris Drew); The Anniversary Song.

This one is among my best ones!

p_w1277.jpg

Folk Songs for Far Out Folk (1959, Warner Bros. Records, W 1277)

Featuring Johnny T. Williams (p).

(Released in 1959, Warner Bros. Records, WS 1277, Stereo)

(Reissued in 2007, Reebot Stereophonic Records)

Performed by the world renowned Metropole Orchestra from The Netherlands.

Some of my favorites:

The arrangement by Bob Curnow is really good too.

I would like this song even more it there wasn't a crazy long drum solo.

Played this for marching band as a freshman. Good memories.

Hated this song at first, but it grew on me.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Performed by the world renowned Metropole Orchestra from The Netherlands.

They were very good.