• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Bespin

The Official Jazz Music thread

177 posts in this topic

I just made this little new playlist for my next saturday supper with friends. Of course, it got that lizzle french touch!

Coltrane and Duke Ellington playing one of Coltrane's best originals. Coltrane on soprano sax, Duke on piano.  A personal favorite.

Listening to Dizzy Gillespie At Newport this morning, one of my favorite jazz albums of all time.

Bespin likes this

On 2017-01-25 at 10:01 AM, Disco Stu said:

Listening to Dizzy Gillespie At Newport this morning, one of my favorite jazz albums of all time.

I listened to it this week.... Great discovery, but I need to make my ear on these. I'm a fan of vocal jazz and cool jazz, bossa nova at first. When it goes too intense, it annoys me a little bit!

Disco Stu likes this

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I listened to it this week.... Great discovery, but I need to make my ear on these. I'm a fan of vocal jazz and cool jazz, bossa nova at first. When it goes too intense, it annoys me a little bit!

Dizzy actually did experiment with bossa nova in the 60s. I love the song "One Note Samba" especially.  Cool as an ice cold rum punch ;) 

Bespin likes this

I'm currently discovering Johnny Mercer as a singer (well of his own songs!) and I love it.

That man's got swing! And I love his deep voice!

A true revelation for me.

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Miles Davis - Miles Ahead

On 19/02/2017 at 10:11 PM, Bespin said:

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Miles Davis - Miles Ahead

Great.

Now try BITCHES BREW, ON THE CORNER, TUTU, and AURA, then go back and listen to KIND OF BLUE; the cymbal crash at about 1:30, on SO WHAT?...oh, yeah!

Oh, I even don't like Miles Davis. That day, someone surely hacked my account.

Great album!

Tracks 1-3-4-7 arranged and conducted by our "Johnny".

I just discovered this startling album.

For the amateurs of Jazz and Aznavour... in Dutch!

The best renditions of those songs!

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The best renditions of those songs!

I have to take your word, I understand nothing!!!

I don't understand a single word that Jacques Brel sings, but I enjoy listening to it.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

I don't understand a single word that Jacques Brel sings, but I enjoy listening to it.

Ne me quitte pas!!!

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

Something about "not stopping", n'est pas?

It means "Don't leave me".

You know this song of Jacques Brel?

Don't leave me

One has to forget

All can be forgotton

which already flees

Forget the time

Of misunderstandings

And the lost times

To know how

To forget those hours

Which would occasionally kill

By blows of why

The heart full of joy

Don't leave me

Don't leave me

Don't leave me

Don't leave me...

Returning back to Aznavour... check this one @Richard

And a last one that I discovered today, another great Aznavour song (Me voilà seul --> Here I am, alone).

Maybe 3/4 of the material of this playlist is not available outsite Canada (please tell me)... but here's a good selection of Jukebox's hits from the 50s in Québec.

French and Québec crooners.

I really love this « 50's » sound... seems to relate to a more civilized time.... a slower time, when people took the time to live... and wrote beautiful songs.

When white heterosexuals still ruled the world! Good times.

Jazz is back.

L’image contient peut-être : 2 personnes, texte

Johnny Mercer: The Dream's On Me (2009, TCM)

Featuring John Williams (p): I Had Myself A True Love (performed by Audra McDonald)

IMG_1974.JPG

That was our National holiday in Québec yesterday.

This year we celebrate the 375th anniversary of the foundation of Montréal by Sieur Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve and Jeanne Mance.

Here is is perhaps, the most beautiful québécois song.

When men Will Live for Love

When men will live for love
There will be no more misery
And the beautiful days will start
But we, we will be dead my brother

When men will live for love
This will bring peace to the world
The soldiers will be troubadours
But we, we will be dead my brother

In the great chain of life
Where we had to go
Where we had to be