Bespin

The Official Jazz Music thread

Catching on quick! Strayhorn loved writing for Hodges. Another one he did was Bluebird... . 

An unfortunate stereotype musicologists have made is since Strayhorn was gay, he was responsible for the "feminine" music. Ellington could get pretty damn sensitive too!

I've been listening to this music for years and just had honestly never thought about possible differences between them.  I had tacitly accepted the credits as meaning they were equal collaborators always.

Which is fine, probably.  It's all about the final product after all.  It's very interesting though to reapproach old favorites with a new paradigm in mind.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I've been listening to this music for years and just had honestly never thought about possible differences between them.  I had tacitly accepted the credits as meaning they were equal collaborators always.

Which is fine, probably.  It's all about the final product after all.  It's very interesting though to reapproach old favorites with a new paradigm in mind.

Call me mired in Western notions of individuality, but I actuslly really like being able to listen to a piece and being able to say "Good job, ____ !" And hearing their unique personalities play out. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My god it's beautiful (I obviously knew this was Strayhorn solo already, it's just amazing)

As played by Ellington. ;) This album was made as tribute after Strayhorn passed away, I believe. 

Just now, Nick Parker said:

As played by Ellington. ;) This album was made as tribute after Strayhorn passed away, I believe. 

Yep.  The legend goes that he was pretty devastated by Strayhorn's death.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yep.  The legend goes that he was pretty devastated by Strayhorn's death.

Very. They were super tight, so tight that it's surprising they haven't turned it into a biopic! They did it with The Room!

On individuality, it's more difficult to do this with someone like Michael Jackson, but even listening and cross checking his composition credits reveals a lot of trademarks unique to him that was consistent throughout his career.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

@Disco Stu You like Charles Mingus?

I'm really only familiar with three albums, but yeah I like him.  I have Mingus Ah UmCharles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (of course, it's a Jazz 101 album).

This is 100% my favorite single recording by him.  This is an all-timer for me.

On 10/31/2018 at 7:44 PM, Disco Stu said:

I'm really only familiar with three albums, but yeah I like him.  I have Mingus Ah UmCharles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (of course, it's a Jazz 101 album).

This is 100% my favorite single recording by him.  This is an all-timer for me.

All about this one.

You're talkin' my language, Grey! There's a ton of Mingus I can throw in,  but I'll just do one for now.

Or if you prefer a more to the point, in your face rendition: 

This tune can produce some moist eyes if I'm in a certain mood.

Happy to see one of my favorite albums of the year, John Hollenbeck's "All Can Work," get nominated for Best Large Ensemble Jazz Album Grammy.

Check this Kraftwerk cover.