What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I guess the solution is to just never use the built in apps, and just keep the TV permanently on HDMI 1 or whatever

Of course. 

And I know I'll have to bite the bullet eventually. I love my Panasonic Plasma, and don't care at all about 4K given the distance I watch from. It has a better picture than any 4K non-HDR TV I've seen. But HDR/Dolbyvision is something I'm very interested in, so sooner or later I'm going to upgrade. 

I think it might take LOTR in HDR for me to do it though!

Yea they don't seem to even sell 1080p displays anymore for anything but smaller budget tvs, seems to all be 4K now.  I didn't particularly want 4K either, but I don't really have a choice and I have a PS4 that can do 4K so why the hell not. 

And yea, I have no interest in buying a 4K UHD Blu Ray player and starting a movie collection all over in 4K UHD BD, but properly done LOTR in that format could convince me to try, too.

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I love my Panasonic Plasma, and don't care at all about 4K given the distance I watch from.

Me neither and personally I find Plasma to have the most filmlike quality. I recently paid 250 Euro for my used Samsung 51" Plasma 1080p TV and I prefer it over latest TVs that I see at the stores, including OLED. I admit, the colorful 4K demos look truly incredible but when they play a movie I'm not that impressed. It always looks like digital video to me.

I love my 4K Samsaung 55 in curve set. The picture is incredible. I want to get a 4k UHD BR player that upscales BR's already in my posession. That my be a gift for the tree in 10 weeks or so.

How do you find the curved TV fares when you have say 5-6 people in the room watching the game.  Does the picture look good to everyone or just the guy sitting dead center?

I always sit in my favorite chair which is to the left. There are no angle issues. It did take us about a week playing with the settiings to settle on what we agreed looks best. We put on Survivor and felt as if we could climb into the picture it was so real.

55 Samsung LCD Smart TV in the living room

47 Vizio LCD in our game room / loft

40 Vizio LCD in our bedroom.

the Vizio TVs are over 8 years old and still work wonderfully.

I know health officials will tell you a tv in the bedroom isn’t good but if you’re sick or recovering from something and are bed ridden it’s a plus.

8 minutes ago, Woj said:

I only have a TV in the living room, but with streaming Comcast on my phone, I have watched TV while in bed, doing dishes, and on the throne. 

Yeah, when we updated our service with AT&T the Mrs got a 35 channel package of Direct TV for $10 a month we can watch / stream anywhere. 

Of of course I couldn’t get the Mrs to understand you can do the same with Spectrum in the house our wherever a WiFi hotspot is.

We have one in the two bedrooms with beds. It allows me to watch sports when i want to.

That sounds stupid. At least one in the bedroom allows both watchers to not disturb the other.

I haven't decided what we're going to do with our current TV when we get the new one.  Theoretically we could put it in the bedroom (the previous owners of the house had one there, the room is setup for a perfect spot for it), but I kinda like not having one in there.  It might go in the basement.

Basements are for prepping victims. Course we cant have basements in this part of the south.

Its nice to have. Were too close to a river to have a basement and we have no frost line.

Of course, you love this, he's a disturbed young man with multiple personality disorder! Spoiler: In the new season mommy has a new big ass LCD TV for in the living room and Norman is not at all happy with it.

Im in the master bedroom watching college football while David is'in the living room watching netflix. When my Hogs take the field I get the livingroom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/10/2017 at 12:47 PM, Woj said:

I'm dreading the day my 65" dies and I need to get rid of it. Might just put out for the salvage collectors to pick up. 

Well damn, today it happened, and I got the call I was dreading. I have a 110 lb paperweight to dispose of. 

Damn that sucks

I still haven't found a deal on the TV we want to get.  MIght have to cave and pay full price soon

Cost, size, weight, ports, warranty, features. 

Mine was open box, so I lacked remote, Wi-Fi adapter, manual, and 3D glasses. 

But over five years of life out of a unit that used to be a floor display model (thus on for weeks on end) is tremendous. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Damn that sucks

I still haven't found a deal on the TV we want to get.  MIght have to cave and pay full price soon

Which one is that?

Just get the cheapest LG OLED. It's got the best viewing angle.

OLED_viewing_angle.jpg

Jay doesn't want to discriminate the ones sitting in the chairs on the left or right, right?