What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Damn that sucks

I still haven't found a deal on the TV we want to get.  MIght have to cave and pay full price soon

I’ve been holding out too, but I feel at this point I should just wait until 2018’s model comes out. They were going to release a 65” model this year but canceled it to focus on the next iteration. 

my blu ray player has quit playing blu rays. It will play dvd's. I know I can get it working again with tech supports help but I figure that I could invest instead in a true 4k player under $190 dollars. I do not have any 4K discs but by my tv is 4K. A 4K player will play all my dvd's and blu's. I can buy any future films in 4k. My next purchase will be IT on the 9th of January.

I will most likely get a new Samsung 8500 UBD. It will link up to my tv with ease.

12 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm still waiting for the first JWfaner to buy an OLED TV.

Give me $19000 US dollars  and Ill buy the 88-inch curved screen. 

6 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

JWfan is an LED fanboy forum.

I know. It's because games are a priority to the JWfaner. They know you can't play the same game for 4 hours on an OLED without risking burn-in. 

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Give me $19000 US dollars  and Ill buy the 88-inch curved screen. 

What's wrong with a 55" screen? They are becoming quite affordable now.

1 minute ago, Denise Bryson said:

Movies get the deluxe 65-inch plasma treatment.

That's the spirit!

You have a 65" Plasma?! I thought 60" was the biggest size during the Plasma days.

A guy I work with demanded to know when I'm going to buy a 4K TV. I asked "Why? The 1080p plasma I have was an expensive state-of-the-art device when I bought it four years ago". Then he said "yeah but that's old".

I'm like "seriously?" I had a Sharp CRT 51cm TV that lasted for 20 years until it died.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

you can't play the same game for 4 hours on an OLED without risking burn-in. 

I wonder if women who watch home shopping networks all day do the same thing, when the price blocks don't move. 

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Only critical and demanding film/TV series fanatics are familiar with OLED technology, Wojo.

And if you can find a woman willing to put up with miserable you and pretend to be your wife, would you put a padlock on the precious OLED TV while you're away at work? 

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

What's wrong with a 55" screen? They are becoming quite affordable now.

That's the spirit!

You have a 65" Plasma?! I thought 60" was the biggest size during the Plasma days.

Nothing I have a 55" curved that fits in the room nicely. A 65 inch curved would have been almost too big

I would love to see an 88 inch oled up close and personal

I’d love a 70”or 80” TV, not curved, but my dad left us nice cherrywood entertainment cabinet with built in mounts that only take a 55” screen and my wife doesn’t want to part with it.

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

'Curved' seems to be on its way out, just like '3D'.

Sea-Cinerama_movie.jpg

How The West Was Won

Doubtful. All the best theatres have curved screens

My tv picture picture is superior and How the West was One does not look like that picture on a curved screen. 

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It makes sense for an old time, pre-multiplex huge screen to be curved, for people in the front rows to see the entire screen.

It's senseless for home screens.

Your comment shows ignorance on the subject. Our newest theatre that opens next month will feature curved screens. 

28 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

My tv picture picture is superior and How the West was One does not look like that picture on a curved screen. 

Actually the blu-ray does include the standard letterbox version on one disc, and the "smile-box" version on the second disc (where Alex's screenshot originates). It'd still look like that on a curved screen. Consumer market curved screens aren't really that curved anyway.

So I'm looking to build a multi-channel sound system so I can finally get the most from my Super Audio CDs (and movies too, of course). Right now, I use a Yamaha universal player to play SACDs and DVD-A discs, which has analog multi-channel output (I've only used the 2-channel stereo output).

But in my search for an AV receiver that can accommodate this, the multi-channel analog input I'm looking for is available only on the uber-expensive high-end models that are way out of my budget. Did they do this on purpose? Are they trying to make what was once a basic feature now unattainable?

I didn't want to venture outside the Yamaha ecosystem, but I was willing to give Pioneer a try. However, you guessed it - the same issue exists there. After some research, I found the Marantz SR5012 is the cheapest option I can find locally, which is priced at about $1,500, which isn't too bad. I'd prefer something under $1,000. The friggin front panel interface is butt ugly though.

You might say I can solve this issue by purchasing a new universal SACD player with just HDMI-out to a receiver that can decode DSD audio, but those are becoming hard to find at a decent price these days too. Hell I bought my player for $250 in 2008. The minimum they seem to be today is about $500.

Component hunting is a headache.

11 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Doubtful. All the best theatres have curved screens

Not true. Theatres like that don't exist here. The last one that had a curved screen went out of business many decades ago. I saw all my favorite movies on that screen so it's not that I'm against the concept. I just don't see the point of a curved TV at home. OLED is clearly steering away from them (thank god) but I guess curved TV is still growing strong amongst the unknowing masses who also want 3D and every other gimmick that's available. They don't even know that if you switch off all the bells and whistles in the settings of your TV that you actually have a better picture.

I must decide soon if I want to add a 4K player. IT comes out January 9th. I may choose to make IT my first 4k film. I know i want a true 4K player versus-a 4K coversion player. So much confusion out there.

Wojo the burn in OLED tv is very unlikey. All tv has a possibility of burn in but my sister has a new LG OLED and I specifically read about it when I helped her get it set up. 65" of stunning picture. It weighs less than 60 lbs. To bad her cable service provider is crap.

Alex maybe in Belgium you don't have curved screens but the last three new theatres built near my home  feature curved ultra bright screens. Thats 33 new curved screens. One of the older multiscreened theatres went under a major retrofit over the summer. It has at least 12 curved screens out of 18. So that brings the total to 45 curved screens within 20 minutes of my house. And there are another 4 theatres that may or may not have them. I just dont go there.

Sure, all TV types have the potential for burn-in, but plasma and OLED suffer severely from it if static images are allowed to remain in the same spot for even a short period of time. They need to be babysat.

Whereas an LED/LCD screen has significantly more resistance to image retention and burn-in, making it a more appropriate option for gamers and cable TV users.

There's no burn-in after "short periods of time", Drax. A gamer on the youtubers said OLED is fine for gaming as long as you don't play the same game all day long. Variation is the key!