What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

The best ones do, Jerry. What make are they, is the sub active, and what are you using them with?

It's this set. I got it all second hand from a hi-fi enthusiast in Sydney whose wife told him to haul it out. I don't have an amplifier or receiver yet, but I do want one that at least accepts DSD audio. I'll be looking at the Yamaha range first, but if any other brand has something nice, I'll be willing to take a peak!

By the sound of it, Jerry, it appears that your new home cinema is up and running. Yes? No?

You mention TPM: the pod race is brilliant to listen to, and it's the only reason that I keep this film in my collection.

Other films that are great to listen to are: MASTER AND COMMANDER (very naturalistic), STAR TREK: V (surprisingly good dynamic range for a 28 year-old film), POA (think "wood") and anything with sound design by Ren Klyce, Randy Thom, or Alan Splett.

Did you decide on Yamaha? If I had the money, it would be a toss-up between Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo.

So...when can I pop by and have a listen?

Just a technical question: your sub goes down to 30Hz. Is that low enough?

When I had it demo'd, it sounded pretty damn low and powerful. Thunderous even.

Haven't decided on a receiver yet. I need to save up a bit now. I'd like a pretty powerful one that matches the specs of the speakers I bought, and can handle a DSD 5.6mhz signal via HDMI. I also need some heavy duty stands for my two surround speakers.

It's funny Alex should mention Leon. I just recently realized it collects actors from some of my favorite sci-fi movies. Jean Reno from Godzilla, Natalie from the prequels and Gary Oldman from Lost in Space.

I think the Yamaha RX-V1083 will suit me. The price is right, and the specs are almost identical to its Aventage line step-up. I'll see what deals I can get.

I don't really get the big deal about this HDR gimmick. I saw an A/B demo at the shop today and I think I preferred the image without the HDR. The HDR image looked really cartoony and oversaturated.

He sounds like an ideal consumer, Drax, a battery to feed the matrix. Ignore him! Say you and him can no longer be mates. Give him the cold shoulder! 

I remember the conversation, I said "My plasma is only four years old!" and he was like "Yeah but that's old!" Yeesh, these people.

Last night, I watched the Criterion release of Charade and it looked authentically filmic in 1080p on the plasma set to THX Cinema. I can only imagine HDR making it look like it's set to "vivid".

I bet he never saw a movie that is more than 10 years old. A lot of people are like your mate at work, Drax. They believe movies are like sports athletes: they get better every year. You don't want to hang out with someone who thinks that 'jump scares' are superior to 'atmosphere', do you? Next time when you see him, look the other way. 

There was another young bloke I used to work with. He was a journo on a tech mag. We were discussing the merit of releasing older films on blu-ray. He insisted that older films have no real benefit in higher resolution, whereas I argued that 35mm film has greater detail than he thought and the grain helps preserve its filmic look. He said "Grain?! You may as well be watching a VHS!"

I gave up.

On 1/7/2018 at 1:51 AM, Denise Bryson said:

There was another young bloke I used to work with. He was a journo on a tech mag. We were discussing the merit of releasing older films on blu-ray. He insisted that older films have no real benefit in higher resolution, whereas I argued that 35mm film has greater detail than he thought and the grain helps preserve its filmic look. He said "Grain?! You may as well be watching a VHS!"

I gave up.

I miss the black specks that have gone missing on modern HD transfers. TPM looked more filmic on DVD because it had specks popping up on the image.

I just tested my PS3 and Yamaha blu-ray player on my smaller LCD TV and they work. There's something seriously wrong with the HDMI ports on my plasma.

And my Laser blu-ray player, which I use to play discs from other regions, just died at the same time. With a disc in it, of course, and it has no pinhole to open with a paperclip, so I'll have to pry it open.

If I can't get my plasma fixed, I'm going to miss this TV a lot. It meant more to me than any human. The picture quality was better than even these 4K OLEDs, which still look like electrically charged cartoons to me, but they seem to impress Joe Schmo a great deal.

Not sure when I'll get a new one. They're still hideously expensive, so it might be a good opportunity to start saving and gift myself with a new one mid-year.

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

If I can't get my plasma fixed, I'm going to miss this TV a lot. It meant more to me than any human. The picture quality was better than even these 4K OLEDs, which still look like electrically charged cartoons to me, but they seem to impress Joe Schmo a great deal.

That's why we should be happy with Black Frame Insertion! See video above! Give it a few more years and OLED will equal and maybe surpass Plasma.

Are you sure that all your HDMI inputs of your Pana Plasma are not working properly? 

Hmm, they all seem to be dying at once! 

Will Drax be the first JWFaner to buy OLED? These are interesting times we are living in!

lgd-65-inch-uhd-rollable-oled-display-3.

The rollable OLED TV

That's pretty bad for a flagship TV that's not even five years old. These high end electronics seem to be more prone to failure than their cheaper counterparts. My old Hitachi plasma went with out a hitch for ten years, and my supercheap Soniq 32" LCD is still going strong after eight years in use.

My Panny plasma from Costco died years ago, it's time to accept that it was unreliable and move on. Luckily for me though there was 2 months left on my 5 year warranty so I got a full refund and bought myself a new Sony, which I'm still using. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

My Panny plasma from Costco died years ago, it's time to accept that it was unreliable and move on. Luckily for me though there was 2 months left on my 5 year warranty so I got a full refund and bought myself a new Sony, which I'm still using. 

Full refund on an almost 5 year old device?

If I was in Drax' shoes, I would check the local secondhand markets, buy a used Plasma and wait until OLED is more affordable. In fact, that is exactly what I did when my Samsung died.

There's someone in the innercity of Sydney selling his 55" VT60 plasma for $1,700. Although it's tempting, I feel that money would be better allocated to a slushfund for an OLED in the future - perhaps this year's Black Friday sale? I'm also curious about OLED's reliability and each unit's longevity too. I'm not keen on having another one clonk out on me.