What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

Costco has fantastic extended warranties. Best Buy used to have them years ago, but no longer. I remember my cousin broke our release model PS2 and when we took it in we were on the last day of the warranty and got the slim model no charge. 

I'm worried now if I upgrade to a 4K TV, all my regular blu-rays will look like crap.

I know people think upscaled DVDs on HD screens made them look better, but I think it just revealed their limitations, video-wise. All the compression artifacts became more visible, edge enhancement more pronounced, etc.

• 5 weeks later...

So recently he goes and buys an Oppo 4K blu-ray universal player, and I ask if it has multichannel analog outputs and he tells me to get with the times. Nope, I want to minimise my reliance on that transport as much as possible.

• 1 month later...

The businesses requirement to keep having new stuff to flog accepted, I do still wonder how many more bigger resolutions they can sell before diminished returns are the problem factor. And might image resolution even arrive at a state of uncanniness? After all, in those lovely 4K demos of distant mountain scapes, one can get up close to the display and really make out all the little intricate details in the faraway rocks and shrubs - something the human eye has no chance of seeing, without a powerful and stable pair of binoculars. What will be the point of 16K and might it look unnaturally detailed, when we're sitting on the sofa in our undies watching mundane TV programs? 

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

World's first 8K monitor.

Even on youtube I can see the crazy resolution! :blink:

Only 12.000 Euro ...

yeah but you still  see it in 1080p

You blokes might find this interesting.

LG posted something about its new OLED smart TV range on Facebook. It struck me as another set of overly complex devices with huge probability of failure, as these things do rather quickly these days.

I put a response down and LG Australia replied. It's almost self-incriminating.

Screenshot_20180430-132652.png

Actually, I want my TV to have sound. I don't want to switch on my amp each time I watch the news or a debate on TV. In fact, because of its integrated soundbar, I thought the OLED E7 was the best looking TV of the lot. Sadly LG Draxionized the design for the E8. So please, stop giving advice to LG, Drax!

I don't know why the LG rep talked about sound. That wasn't what I was addressing. All I said I wanted was a simple panel (sound or no sound), with no complex computer components that die or corrupt after a couple of years. But of course, that's part of the 'planned obsolescence' agenda from these manufacturers, and cashed-up consumers seem to love refreshing their gear every year just for new "features". But enterprise buyers have access to the simpler and more reliable products. It's insidious.

Good luck with the dreaded setup and configuration "phase", it took me a over a week of fiddling till I got it just right. Having to tweak it for each individual input these days is painstakingly tedious. I absolutely hate getting a new TV for that reason.

Luckily I only really use one input, since my AV Receiver is where the all my HDMI devices plug into (Switch, Wii U, PS4, SNES Classic, BD Player, Amazon Firebox) and then the only inputs the TV needs is HDMI from the AV Receiver, and my HD antennae!