What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

I disable all TV post processing tricks myself, but I did experiment with different settings when I first got my most recent Sony panel. Tbh, post processing technology on higher end sets has come on along way since the weird Spanish soap opera look of crude motion processing on older TVs, and in the case of my own Sony TV I was actually very impressed with how authentic a faux (interpolated) 48 or 60fps refresh was reproduced. I last tried it with Stranger Things, and it was really quite amazing how 'hyperrealistic' the image was in motion. But a lifetime of muscle memory will still make it a viewing adjustment which is difficult to get used to, to 'accept'.

I think Peter Jackson faced this problem head on with his 48fps Hobbit movies. He failed there, sadly, but I still appreciated his attempt to force a shift. Decades and decades of 24fps film motion is not easily undone by the viewing eyes, even if on a technical level the higher refresh results do yield the potential to be superior to older juddery film frame rates in every respect.

It's something PC gaming enthusiasts have already become well accustomed to for many years. Indeed higher frame rates are strived for. In that medium, 60fps motion is the norm, and even 120fps is an enjoyed option (it looks absolutely phenomenal). It's not uncommon to read complaints on forums from high end PC gamers, unhappy that a silky smooth gameplay presentation can be suddenly and extremely jarringly broken by a cutscene which is only rendered at 30fps. It can be genuinely unpleasant to drop back down to 'juddery' motion from a 60+ refresh, after a while.

To that end, I don't think the old film frame rate/post processing book is closed yet.

51 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I disable all TV post processing tricks myself, but I did experiment with different settings when I first got my most recent Sony panel. Tbh, post processing technology on higher end sets has come on along way since the weird Spanish soap opera look of crude motion processing on older TVs, and in the case of my own Sony TV I was actually very impressed with how authentic a faux (interpolated) 48 or 60fps refresh was reproduced. I last tried it with Stranger Things, and it was really quite amazing how 'hyperrealistic' the image was in motion. But a lifetime of muscle memory will still make it a viewing adjustment which is difficult to get used to, to 'accept'.

I think Peter Jackson faced this problem head on with his 48fps Hobbit movies. He failed there, sadly, but I still appreciated his attempt to force a shift. Decades and decades of 24fps film motion is not easily undone by the viewing eyes, even if on a technical level the higher refresh results do have the potential to be superior to older juddery film frame rates in every respect.

It's something PC gaming enthusiasts have already become well accustomed to for many years. Indeed higher frame rates are strived for. In that medium, 60fps motion is the norm, and even 120fps is an enjoyed option (it looks absolutely phenomenal). It's not uncommon to read complaints on forums from high end PC gamers, unhappy that a silky smooth gameplay presentation can be suddenly and extremely jarringly broken by a cutscene which is only rendered at 30fps. It can be genuinely unpleasant to drop back down to 'juddery' motion from a 60+ refresh, after a while.

To that end, I don't think the old film frame rate/post processing book is closed yet.

Solid post.

HFR with HDR will eventually become SOP.

• 1 month later...

So I was looking at a 65" Philips OLED at the store. There was a demo playing that also had some Hollywood movie excerpts. A salesman asked if he could help me. I said that the typical demo footage looks good but that the movie excerpts look terrible. I asked if I could bring along a movie myself to play it in the store. The salesman took a USB stick out of his pocket and said, no need, I have Dunkirk on this stick. Guess what? It looked horrendous, probably a lousy 500MB file. Look at the faces of the actors, I said, all smeared out. It looks like early VHS. He agreed and said that next time I should bring my own movie to the store. 

Do you have any 4k films?

Ben Hur was restored to 8k so it should look great on everything.

No, I don't have anything on 4K, but if a film on Blu-ray doesn't look great on a TV then I won't be buying it. I don't want a TV that only produces a great picture when you play 4K demos or 4K movies on it. All the stores here are selling TVs on the basis of those high contrasty 4K demos and the reason for that is because they make every TV look like the best thing ever. 

• 4 weeks later...

My 65" LG TV, a 2012 model that I've owned for six years, finally stopped working last week. Best time of the year to be TV shopping. I suppose I could get the mainboard repaired, but I don't know how much longer it would last. I also don't like having a 105 pound television in rental units that I can't wall mount. So I will junk it, and a newer 55" Samsung is on order. 

It was also an open box floor model, so I got it minus remote (I already own an older version Harmony), instructions, 3D glasses, and the Wi-Fi receiver. It would likely have been on all day for almost a year before I bought it. Its time was gonna come. 

I've had excellent luck with Samsung TVs!  The 42" I purchased in 2010 is still running strong, though its in our basement now as we have a 55" TCL in the living room now.

It's too early to tell but this is what Philips says:

"Ambilight. Take the emotion beyond the screen. With Philips Ambilight, movies and games feel more immersive. Music gets a light show. And your screen will feel bigger than it is. Intelligent LEDs around the edges of the TV cast on-screen colours onto the walls and into the room, in real time. You get perfectly tuned ambient lighting. And one more reason to love your TV."

At first, I wasn't really interested in Ambilight (I thought I was going to leave it off), but it's fun to see how it adapts to the surrounding wall to the tones of the lighting of the shots. But I really need to see a couple of movies with Ambilight before I can give my final thoughts.

Checking some ordinary DVDs. Black Swan doesn't look good, Vicky Christina Barcelona is doable while Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky looks surprisingly good. 

It's really nice to see the room's lighting being adjusted to a scene. I have it on movie mode with most enhancements switched off or on 'minimum. This makes a world of difference. 

I like mine so far. I need to teach my remotes to crosstalk so I don't need three to watch anything. 

Looking forward to getting a USB hub so I can play Steam Link games right from the TV. 

Annoyingly, Saul on Netflix doesn't output in HDR, which is a stupid missed opportunity for the distinctive contrast theming seen in that show.

Netflix puts out all the Marvel content in HDR, but trust them to skip it on something I actually want to watch. 

On 12/2/2018 at 12:34 AM, Alexcremers said:

Just checked the image quality of Better Call Saul (Ultra HD) on my 65" OLED .. Holy schiit! WTF?!

R.I.P. Plasma

You pulled the trigger Congrats.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You have to sit right in the middle with this one though ...

I saw the demo in store and the viewing angles are a lot better than I expected .Doesn't matter if I'm slightly off center on my couch

I used to be an IPS panel fan for the viewing angles but apparently VA's are better for HDR because the native contrast ratio is way better

The cheaper Sony X800E uses IPS and has better viewing angles but according to the reviews can't display HDR contents as intended.