Boston Pops Film Night June 6-11 2014

JWfangirl1992

That is the last happy picture before the dramatic falling out and subsequent duel of Jason and Thor at that bar. Oh the humanity!

Just got back from tonight's show! Great fun as always, and I had great seats (front row, nearly center)! Can't wait for next year.

It's just a shame those eBay low-life's have made Williams so reluctant to sign autographs. It used to be so easy to get an autograph and picture with him. Still, that aside, it was a WONDERFUL evening!!!

We waited around outside Symphony Hall with everyone else to try for autographs, I with my HPSS CD and jwalk with his Superman CD - his first Williams purchase ever. It was crowded, though, and when Williams arrived there were unfortunately a lot of rude and shameless people being very pushy and not very respectful to Williams. He was gracious enough to sign a few things anyway.

Same thing happened in Chicago last November. There was a bunch of hideous guys with stacks of LP covers who really didn't have the slightest respect for anyone, let alone an 80+ years-old man who had a lot of patience with them.

I can only agree with JW's reps about safeguarding him as tight as ever in those kind of circumstances, even though this means being rude with polite people who probably just want to say hello and thank you to him. When I saw those nerds just thrusting each other and slapping LP covers in front of JW's face without even saying "thank you" to him, I was almost ashamed for them.

I consider myself immensely blessed when I had the opportunity to meet, pose for a picture and even being able to speak a few words with him back in 2007. My lucky star was watching over me.

The second he got out of the car a bunch of people swarmed in. One guy was knocking over the roped barrier and was being pushed back by a security guard as he was shoving his LP in John's face saying "Right up here, John! Sign right here!" He maybe signed about 5-6 things at that point and that's when the other guards just rushed him inside.

And thanks to Koray for showing up, so there were at least TWO Zimmer fans there, including myself.

I can just see the two of you now. Sat at a separate table, discussing the relative merits of Zimmer's work in hushed whispers.

On Sunday, I did the rest of the Freedom trail and some other stuff. On Monday before departure, I visited Harvard University and the Cambridge area. The only sour thing is that several of my items were either lost or stolen at the hostel -- an iPod, an expensive dictaphone, a Mastercard, a 'code activator' for the bank and my house and bicycle keys(!).

Really?? That's insane.

Thor, nice write up, thank you for posting!

I still need to do my write-up.

And that's freaking nuts about all your stuff that got stolen! Big bummer dude :( Everyone else who has stayed at that hostel had good experiences there, sorry yours was so bad!

As for multiple pictures in a post, you can definitely have way more than too. In fact, you don't even need to first host the pictures yourself - you can attach them directly to the post and have them be hosted by JWFan. You just have to be on a real computer, not a phone or tablet, and click "More Reply Options" to get the full editing screen, and you can attach pictures from there.

Thor, you didnt make use of the safety deposit boxes that were in every single room?

There was no safe in the room or in the lobby. You basically had to lock your belongings in the room and hope for the best or carry them around with you. Stupid hostel. Oh well, I'll do my best to get back the lost money through my insurance. Hopefully, that will work.

Tom, the second round was pretty much the same as the first, as far as I know. The only difference is that they played one extra encore on Saturday.

Thor, you didnt make use of the safety deposit boxes that were in every single room?

There was no safe in the room or in the lobby.

Then this didnt happen in Boston Hosteling International, which is what I assumed from Jason's post.

We waited around outside Symphony Hall with everyone else to try for autographs, I with my HPSS CD and jwalk with his Superman CD - his first Williams purchase ever. It was crowded, though, and when Williams arrived there were unfortunately a lot of rude and shameless people being very pushy and not very respectful to Williams. He was gracious enough to sign a few things anyway.

Same thing happened in Chicago last November. There was a bunch of hideous guys with stacks of LP covers who really didn't have the slightest respect for anyone, let alone an 80+ years-old man who had a lot of patience with them.

I can only agree with JW's reps about safeguarding him as tight as ever in those kind of circumstances, even though this means being rude with polite people who probably just want to say hello and thank you to him. When I saw those nerds just thrusting each other and slapping LP covers in front of JW's face without even saying "thank you" to him, I was almost ashamed for them.

I consider myself immensely blessed when I had the opportunity to meet, pose for a picture and even being able to speak a few words with him back in 2007. My lucky star was watching over me.

I was there in Chicago last year, too. I was really disapointed about these guy's out there with their LP Covers. Some of them don't even attended the show's. And this guys have made it even more difficult for people like us. People who appreciate Williams art. People who love him for his music.

At least I got a autograph, and I'm forever grateful for that.

But to pose for a picture or even being able to speak a few words with him, is something which has unfortunately become very difficult.

So I am happy for the true fans who could get an autograph in Boston!

There was no safe in the room or in the lobby.

Then this didnt happen in Boston Hosteling International, which is what I assumed from Jason's post.

No, it was 40Berkeley.

Thank you guys for your reports and photos! Looking forward to Jay's contributions ;)

PS. I'm surprised there's virtually no coverage of the event apart from the Boston Globe article.

Thanks Ricard. I've been too damn busy this week to get the pictures and story up here. Hopefully on Sunday.

Question - how do we know the show that's being broadcast is the Saturday performance (as opposed to Friday's, for example)? I also find it funny that they're still regurgitating the official description of the show in including Jaws as one of the scores Williams performs, when he played nothing from it during this show.

I think WGBH lets you listen to Pops concerts on demand after a certain time.

[edit] Yup.

I would post a direct link, but this forum is so fucked on Chrome, I can't copy and paste.[/edit]

Question, did JW purposely edit/shorten the "Hymn to the Fallen" piece for concert performances, or did the orchestra and chorus just fall apart at several moments during the Saturday night performance and miraculously ended back up in the same bars?

"Dry Your Tears" sounded great though and it would be nice to have an MP3 recording of it. So many of the recent scores are due for concert arrangement recordings. All we've had is Geisha with the Chicago Symphony.

Hymm To The Fallen played to a video montage of WW2 footage, so it was played at the exact length and tempo needed to match the footage. In other words, he chose to shorten it for the performance.

• 1 month later...

Please forgive me for bringing up this older thread.

My wife and I would like to attend the Film Night next year, but because we live in Europe we kind of have to book our flights and hotel some time in advance. When do they usually reveal the schedule for the Film Night?

• 10 months later...

Currently listening to the public recording of the June 11 concert.

Great concert and during the intermission they included a performance of Weber's Second Clarinet Concerto, recorded earlier in spring of 2014 and conducted by Keith Lockhart (Clarinet: Nicolas Brown), cool!

On the Memoirs of a Geisha selections, is it just me or Martha Babcock have some problems of pitch accuracy? It's soooo painfull !

In those moments we miss Yo-Yo Ma !

Currently listening to public recording of the June 11 concert.

Great concert and during the intermission they included a performance of the Clarinet Concerto recorded earlier in spring of 2014 and conducted by Keith Lockhart (Clarinet: Nicolas Brown), cool!

On the Memoirs of a Geisha selections, is it just me or Martha Babcock have some troubles getting always on the pitch? It's soooo painfull !

In those moments we miss Yo-Yo Ma !

is this on wgbh? could you provide a link to the performance?

Yes and Martha Babcock has pitch accuracy problems on that one too.

Well, it's the Boston Pops, not the Berlin Philharmonic! ;)