The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So has the show gone from "society has crumbled" mode to "society is rebuilding" mode?

It's hard to tell really, it seems to be that the group finds a safe haven, it gets destroyed, they find another one, that one gets destroyed (and repeat)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Is it realistic that they wouldn't have managed to kill all the walkers left on earth by this point in time?  Or do the characters not age in real time, like does a season only cover a month in their lives instead of a year?

Only Carl seems to age in the show. They are at least 2 years into the whole apocalypse thing. The whole of season 6 and 7 can't have covered more than 3 months.

I watched the first season around when it aired and liked it fine.  Actually watched all six episodes on a Friday night with a big group of friends together, it was fun!

Always intended to keep watching, but for a variety of reasons never got around to it : Primary reason is my wife hates zombies and has no interest in the show, so I'd have to find free time she's not using the TV to watch it.  And secondary is just because of how many other good shows are out these days, other things always took precedence over it.

And now its been so long, and people seem to be quite sour towards the later seasons, I'm not sure if I should bother.  I like shows that work toward a planned ending more than shows that intend to just aimlessly go on forever.  The biggets criticism people seem to have with this show is how cyclical it is, and how there's no clear end game in sight.

The show has no endgame because as far as I know, the source comics are still going with no end in sight. 

There can never be an end to the zombie infestation in the world of The Walking Dead without a legitimate cure from an unrevealed surviving deus ex machina because the living are already infected. A person who dies a peaceful death of natural causes will reanimate shortly after dying, and rise to infect others. A fetus may die in the womb and, though it has only been speculated without being shown, tear its mother apart after reanimating.

The show generates false suspense by having zombies create sound only when they're on camera. That's how they sneak up on so many people in the woods, when they normally make so much noise and smell like they've been rotting for two years. 

Society is rebuilding, but each little pocket group in its own image, and they seem to forget about how things used to be. Mortal fear of the undead, living despots, and stupid behavior guide this for the sake of the story. 

Yes, one must simply be prepared to accept the rules of the fiction or not bother to watch it at all. The legions of neverending zombies make me chuckle all these years later, but in the end I don't get hung up on it, it doesn't irritate me. The zombies are too intrinsic to the underlying fabric of the fantasy to be wondering too much about their everlasting existence and implausibly high numbers (although lately you'd be forgiven for thinking there's only about 22 of the shambling cadavers left waking the nearly re-civilised earth).

We are also well trained enough by now to completely ignore the fact that nobody in this world bothers to cover their mouths with scarf material in order to protect from the gushing fountains of zombie claret which drips and squirts without care into said agape survivor gobs during every melee and brutal gouging which occurs. Nobody seems to care about hygiene in that way in this particular apocalypse. Maybe zombie blood tastes quite delicious or something, assuming one doesn't 'fall ill' after consuming it. 

You would think that ingesting rotten blood would poison the recipient or spread necrosis and cause death, but it's never happened. People die when zombies bite key body parts, like the neck or chest regions. Zombie bites to hands or legs are kept from being fatal by amputating the diseased parts, so injecting the zombie fluids promotes death, but not getting some in your mouth. Riiight. 

I had to laugh about three episodes ago when the blood splatters on Carol's face changed between shots. 

23 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm rewatching the series and it's sad how much it's declined. Season 3, 4 and 5 were pretty good. They've always managed to balance new ideas and the source material but season 6 and 7 were a bit too comic book-y.

That's exactly how I feel, Alex.

Alexandre

10 hours ago, Alex said:

Is FTWD any good?

It's better than the two last seasons of TWD. Less characters, more focused. I suspect that some of the original writers have moved to the new series. And it has interesting things happening like 'The boy that walks amongst the Walkers'. It's more psychological.

Alex

What's with Negan's constant slight stooping thing while he talks? The undercurrent of threat with the character is somewhat undermined by it looking like he's limbering up to dance, FFS.     

Apparently he's like that in the comic. Which is static cartoon images. Turns out it doesn't translate well to live action.

Easily one of the most punchable performances ever. 

Tbh I think he's good fun. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is clearly having a great time. Nothing on The Governor, he was a great villain.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Tbh I think he's good fun. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is clearly having a great time. Nothing on The Governor, he was a great villain.

He started off good but the more you know about the villains the worse they get*. With other words, they showed too much of The Governor. 

* Look at Darth Vader, the less you knew, the more menacing he was. 

• 3 months later...
On 15.4.2017 at 0:32 AM, Alex said:

Is FTWD any good?

Yes, it is. Been following it avidly, and it's great that it's been scheduled so that it airs in the space between WALKING DEAD seasons. Since it takes place just after the zombie outbreak, it's not as 'mythological' as TWD, but it has at times even more character depth than its sequel. Hope it gets to live for a few more seasons.

• 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, Alex said:

I heard that in this season they find a safe place which eventually becomes unsafe

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I missed last night's, but on demand means that it's okay to catch up later. I'm not impressed with this season's all out war or old Aragorn, I mean, Rick in the future. 

I've heard that far from bouncing back after the atrocity of season 7 this show has somehow managed to go from bad to worse.

I'll probably not bother, unless I hear it suddenly went  total gangbusters in the second half (not fecking likely).

Yes. He had a very bizarre "yes, yes, and yes no, and no yes, and yes yes" speech, where he discussed how playing the King makes his fantasies into reality. 

He means well and has a heart of gold but he does not fit the show. He's still too over the top. 

TWD needs some kind of Shane test. If you couldn't see Shane having a meaningful conversation with the character, get rid of them. 

I can't believe how incompetent Negan's group is shown to be so far this season.  Negan's group has been overpowering and outsmarting Rick's group these past two seasons and now they're dumb all of a sudden?  Surely Negan saw this coming from Rick's group and Hilltop...

Holy shit, can someone PLEASE put a round in the King's head? 

I'll take that. 

This show still has no idea where it's going. 

When the writer admits he put the tiger into the comics just to see how they'd do it on the show, there is no endgame in sight.