The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

I remember back in 2010 I jumped on this show and the first few seasons were great, not the best television drama, but it had good moments of horror, tension, tone and pacing. Fastforward to 2017 and the show really feels as if it should've ended two seasons ago. It reached a peak and it can't seem to come down from it and has instead flatlined. It's disappointing, but it's one of the problems of a show that's still open-ended with no real endgame in sight...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fandom wants the showrunner to be fired ...

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/16/walking-dead-fans-launch-petition-showrunner-fired-following-midseason-finale-7165756/

And indeed, Season 8 is probably the worst so far but Rosita Espinosa is looking good in the rare shots she is in.

db9647af7835ada9617d20cc8ab54625.jpg

Who wants a wall when this might come into the country?!

• 2 months later...

While it's still a shit show -- the first episode back from the mid-season break takes the entire duration for a longtime but polarizing character to succumb -- I do think that in the second episode back, Negan becomes the most likeable he's been for his entire presence. His final sentence to Rick is absolute truth. 

And it's pretty awesome what happens to Jadis when Rick learns her style was just an act. Almost felt bad for her. Until we see the most incredible method of eliminating Walkers ever. Then it becomes worth it. 

• 1 month later...

Well that season went nowhere and that season finale wraps up

Spoiler

nothing

. How can you have a Walking Dead season finale with exactly 

Spoiler

zero character deaths

Jesus ... if that's their idea of 'all-out war', I'd hate to see peace.

i'm shouting at the TV 'KILL THE BASTARD, RICK! CAVE HIS FUCKING HEAD IN WITH LUCILLE, IT'S ALL HE DESERVES!'  

But no, instead Negan will be locked up and forced to watch the community rebuild. Ooh, how FIENDISH :sarcasm: .

Still, maybe the newly-incoming showrunner will give the show the kick up the ass that it's sorely needed for at least a couple of seasons now.    

Thing is, locking up a captured Negan after the war is straight out of the comics. It just doesn't jive with motivations of the group.

Rick could slaughter a squad of escaping Saviors after they help him, but he can't exact justice on Negan. That slaughter was the moment I stopped supporting Rick. 

• 1 month later...

All the whinging and whining over the finale of S8 was silly. It had been a thread running throughout that season (and the last few actually) that Rick would acknowledge the fact that he had become the thing he had fought against - parallels with Shane, The Governor, and especially Negan. Carl's exit and his arc for the last two seasons had been all about trying to find peace between the parties and to show Rick that if there is to be a peaceful future it won't come with the endless cycle of killing and revenge. 

I thought it was interesting how the more inhuman and cruel Shane became in the first season, the less hair he had, and these last seasons had Rick become this grizzled figure full of hair the more cruel and unforgiving he became.

Should Rick have killed Negan? No. Will it come back to haunt him? Definitely and the series had obviously been setup that way. Why must we always expect finality and closure in the killing of a villain? 

It would've gone against everything the show has been ragging on about if they simply killed Negan!

You've been listening to Carl too much, Arpy. The bottom line is, he's too dangerous to be kept alive.

You'll see.

"He's too dangerous to be kept alive".

41 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Should Rick have killed Negan? No. Will it come back to haunt him? Definitely and the series had obviously been setup that way. 

xVeWkFo.jpg

Good luck to Lincoln, he's bailing from a ship that already sunk a long time ago. Treading water hoping for rescue (from his writers) like he's been doing must take its toll.

• 4 weeks later...

They should just kill everyone off and reboot it, under a new showrunner. The rep of this show can't recover unless they scrap it and start again. Ex fans laugh at what The Walking Dead has become now. 

Maybe when they kill Rick, he'll wake up in the hospital and realize it was all a fucking dream. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

They should just kill everyone off and reboot it, under a new showrunner. The rep of this show can't recover unless they scrap it and start again. Ex fans laugh at what The Walking Dead has become now. 

Look at the flowers, Lee. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's pretty spectacular how much they screwed up such a sure thing with this show. It was huge, but now people seem to just laugh at how awful it went. A monumental mess up.

Nobody who was on the fringe wants to get invested with a show where they know what will happen with a main character so soon. 

We will probably watch it tonight, but I will be working on the computer as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So three episodes into the new season and it’s been a marked improvement so far over the last few. Can’t believe it took them this long to get rid of Scott Gimple.

I stopped watching just after Negan was introduced. Thought he was about as much of a stock character as was possible.

Plus the writing with pretending to kill off characters was starting to get insulting.

I stopped watching at the episode that Negan was introduced, but it had been coming for me for a long time.  The last time it was actually good was the season where they split up, on the road to that cannibal place

We have not watched any new episodes this season. I saw who they offed in the premiere but I really don't care anymore. I might binge watch during the mid-season break and follow in the winter. I might not. This is coming from someone who also stopped watching BCS. 

I'd agree that the first 3 episodes of Season 9 have seen a distinct upturn in the show (even the opening credits seem invigorated; the new sequence is probably the biggest nod yet to the show's graphic-novel origins). Just hoping that the soon-to-come exits of Rick and Maggie won't mean a return to inertia.     

I really don't get the rave reviews Walking Dead is getting this season. I find it's becoming tedious and pedestrian. 

I know everyone hated the last couple seasons, and they're certainly not the best. But this is the first time I've seriously considered ditching the show.  I really don't see under what circumstances this show could get better at this point, and there's way too much good scripted TV out there that I can't keep up with to stick with this.

On 10/30/2018 at 3:57 PM, KK said:

Lol this thing is still on?

Lol are you in touch with reality

Even with its viewer loss its still has more viewers than most shows. And its about to kill of the original cast member