The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

Love the show hate the show dismiss the show, tonight's episode was great. The show can now go in a new direction. Wow the next three episodes wow; and the next suspected villian is now a reality.

Sorry but I disagree.  Last nights episode was terrible overall.  How Rick managed to survive from all that blood loss is beyond me.  I'm usually not the reality police especially for a fantasy/horror show but other characters within the same universe have died from similar wounds.

However, I do like the idea of a new time jump and that the characters are no longer tied down to Rick's storyline (or so I hope).  I could do without Rick's Annie Oakley daughter, though.

Since the time jump is supposedly 6 years into the future, I guess this means the Fear cast doesn't make it to Alexandria since the previews didn't mention any of them.

I've long maintained that Rick dying was the only way to shake up The Walking Dead (i.e. the only thing that could functionally affect all of the characters and their power dynamics), but a time jump is just as good.  I'm still not gonna watch.

My favorite TV show time jump thing is Fat Lee Adama from Battlestar Galactica.  If they put Darryl in a fat suit, I might start watching again.

1 hour ago, Balahkay said:

Sorry but I disagree.  Last nights episode was terrible overall.  How Rick managed to survive from all that blood loss is beyond me.  I'm usually not the reality police especially for a fantasy/horror show but other characters within the same universe have died from similar wounds.

Remember Glenn? Until Negan, he was literally invincible. I lost all interest in The Walking Dead when I felt like the writers were taking the piss out of viewers.

1 hour ago, Balahkay said:

I do like the idea of a new time jump and that the characters are no longer tied down to Rick's storyline (or so I hope). 

You know it's rough when they fucked up so bad they have to essentially erase years of character development and audience investment in the hope of finding a way to right the ship. It's sheer desperation on AMC's part. Last chance saloon. What happened with this show has to go down as warning, how not to screw up so monumentally with such a sure thing. I still find it head scratching even now.

I can forgive shows like Battlestar Galactica and Breaking Bad for jumping forward a year or so for various reasons. It serves the story. 

Until this season, TWD only used small logical time jumps to carry us through winters between seasons (difficult to film in Georgia) or to speed up the long trek north to Alexandria. But glossing over entire years to move the story forward the way is cheap and reboot-like and I don't care for it. 

On one hand, after reading stories for months that Rick would be killed this season, to learn that's not entirely accurate should have come as a relief. But since I checked out months ago after the lackluster season finale and lost all interest in the direction of the show, it's just not enough. 

Would've preferred Rick to have been walker-fodder (not that I hate the guy or anything, but at least have the balls to kill him off. They've done it with other pretty major characters, after all) and the current timeline to have been continued with, to be honest. But I guess we'll see what happens.  

I'm guessing one reason they avoided killing off Rick (aside from having him star in a trilogy) is to avoid backlash.  It seems they lost a lot of viewership when they killed off Glenn in such a violent way.  However, that's how he died in comics as well.  I've heard rumors that the whisperers are going to kill off a few semi-major characters this season. 

Also, I believe the past episode was Maggie's last as well... at least until the actress comes back.

I was hoping for some closure for Rick, but was also hoping that might come as an ending for the show as a whole too. To me, Rick and Carl were the central figures of the show and whilst I felt they handled Carl's death well, I thought this past episode with the departure of Rick to be a bit all over the place. The entire episode leads up to Rick's sacrifice and to not follow through with that felt like the writers weren't sure if killing him would be a good idea...

I'm torn, because I don't mind either scenario - that Rick should die, or come back to fight another day. 

38 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

It seems they lost a lot of viewership when they killed off Glenn in such a violent way.  However, that's how he died in comics as well.

What angered viewers more? The fact that Negan killed him in the same brutal manner as the source material? 

Or the fact he was seen to die half a season earlier with the coward, only to cheat death and work his way back to the group, and then die as originally scheduled anyways? 

That will-they-won't-they-they-did was aggravating. 

30 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I was hoping for some closure for Rick, but was also hoping that might come as an ending for the show as a whole too. To me, Rick and Carl were the central figures of the show and whilst I felt they handled Carl's death well, I thought this past episode with the departure of Rick to be a bit all over the place. The entire episode leads up to Rick's sacrifice and to not follow through with that felt like the writers weren't sure if killing him would be a good idea...

I'm torn, because I don't mind either scenario - that Rick should die, or come back to fight another day. 

I suppose I get that him being walker-dinner whilst being skewered on that rubble pile wouldn't have been what you'd call a heroic end, but him dying in the bridge explosion he triggered to prevent the walkers crossing it absolutely would've been. But no, they wouldn't do it.       

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, I'm starting to believe the things they say of you. And all the things you've done will soon get swept away, you really do believe the talk of God is true!

But yet you keep posting in this thread why?  

Surely there are other things to occupy your time?  It’s one thing to watch the show and disagree with the direction they’re taking with it but to say you’re happy that you don’t watch the show but yet you continue to bitch about it is a head-scratcher to me.  If you’re going to have an opinion make sure it’s an informed one and not what the old interwebs are telling you.  🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• 4 months later...

So Season 9 came to an end last night. Probably the best season since Season 5. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Angela Kang did a great job considering the mess she was left to work with. Can’t wait for Season 10(!).

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

So who out of the original cast (pre S7) is left these days?

Daryl, Carol, Michonne, Rosita, Eugene, Gabriel, Aaron are left. Rick, Maggie and Morgan not there but still “around”

5 hours ago, Alex said:

So Season 9 came to an end last night. Probably the best season since Season 5. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Angela Kang did a great job considering the mess she was left to work with. Can’t wait for Season 10(!).

The penultimate episode was the most brutal and gut wretching episode of the entire series. It wasn't the grossest or most graphic. Clearly that was the Abraham/Glenn episode.  

• 5 months later...

This series was never exactly good, but it was watchable because of some characters, like Rick, Carol, Glenn, Daryl and Michonne. But from season 5 onwards, the series has reached almost unbeliavable levels of bad. Horrible script, pathetic shock value, the best characters either left the show or became insufferable morons, boring plots that never went anywhere. I'm glad I dropped this piece of crap a few years ago.

This show has to die. I've been keeping up with the spin-off Fear the Walking Dead too, and that show has gone on for too long. The fear of the zombies has all but evaporated and the human assholes left are just assholes. If Game of Thrones was like a abrupt car crash right at the end, The Walking Dead is like a car crash but in slow motion, all the pieces are flying apart and the impact has come and gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's definitely looks different from the other two shows, I'll give them that!  Unfortunately the only thing that intrigued me about the trailer was the Nebraska hoodie the kid was wearing and the "NSU Golden Stingers" logo on the track hurdle, possibly Nebraska State University (which does not exist, btw)?

Other than that, looks like it's geared toward millennials and their "struggles"... :sarcasm:

• 6 months later...
On 2/10/2014 at 2:03 PM, Jay said:

A lot of my friends really like the comic books. Anybody here read them?

They just announced a new HumbleBundle with a very healthy selection of TWD comics for digital download. I am tempted. 

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/walking-dead-image-comicsskybound-entertainment-books?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_2_layout_index_1_layout_type_threes_tile_index_3_c_walkingdeadimagecomicsskyboundentertainment_bookbundle

I get why people aren't a fan of the show, and some things are definitely just there for the shock value, but to say this series "isn't exactly good" is going out on a veeeeeeery thin limb. 

It’s really improved the last seasons in my opinion. Better character development, gradually phasing out deadwood, more interesting villains. 

16 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I get why people aren't a fan of the show, and some things are definitely just there for the shock value, but to say this series "isn't exactly good" is going out on a veeeeeeery thin limb. 

As a fan of the show, it's really not. The story has been artificially stretched out, dragged along by mere threads waiting to be torn apart completely. It's sad to see it being resurrected again and again instead of giving the show a proper ending years ago. The problem is, I don't think the showrunners know how to end it.

You are assuming they want to end it

The show is much better now than it has been. 

I get it though the show has to occasionally gross you out and is probably the 2nd best show at doing that. Family Guy wins the gross out hands down. 

• 4 months later...

Can't even remember which season I stopped watching this, but it's been years. Pretty much the only TWD news that would interest me these days would be a release of more music from season 1, but that ship has likely sailed.

Ratings must be a shadow of what they were if they're cancelling. At one time they were saying it'll go on and on, as long as folk were tuning in. 

Just watch Black Summer instead. I binged it in a fortnight, I enjoyed it that much. Imagine a handheld-ish Walking Dead minus the insufferable soapy drama and about five times as stark. Every episode is different to the last, its own thematic survival scenario. I'll eagerly be tuning into season 2 when it finally lands, and so will Stephen King.

Screenshot_2020-09-09-18-12-17-566_com.kiwibrowser.browser_1g.jpg

• 2 months later...

FTWD has become a very good show, especially the last couple seasons!  Most of the original cast from the 1st season is gone thankfully, there weren’t too many original cast members I cared for.  I’m only watching World Beyond because it deals with the helicopter people who took Rick away.  It’s by far the worst of the 3 shows but it’s only going to be 2 seasons thankfully.  Season 1 just finished up.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, Quintus said:

I'll wait for Black Summer S2 instead. 

David wanted to watch. It, so we did. like most Netflix stuff, its... The season 2 opener was just a lot of killing , no exposition just killing. Looks like a video game.