The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

A zombie show would be beneath Vince Gilligan.

Maybe it's time to apologise to Frank Darabont and let him have a go at it again?

They need to bin whatever long arc they had planned with Neagan and the Saviors. May as well include The Crapdom, Alexcrapia and Craptop in that, just throw all that superfluous filler out, the concepts, the plot ideas, everything. Kill Neagan off immediately in the first episode of season 8. Go back to the drawing and start from scratch, get the group moving again. Keep 'em on the road for the foreseeable. For years The Walking Dead was a lean slice of really entertaining male fantasy pulp. Now it's a shambling overpopulated mess. 

11 hours ago, Alex said:

The show is in desperate need of a shake up. Scott Gimple has been the show runner since season 4. Surely it wouldn't hurt to get someone in with fresh ideas?

Since he's been pretty terrible at show running the show then I would agree.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I've been thinking about it and I actually love Negan as a villain

Over the top but amusing ... Though he rarely appears in the show these days. It's always one of his slaves that does the collecting ...

Negan is diluted by his two lieutenants who collect from the Hilltop and the Kingdom. The one on the Hilltop is pure evil, but the one who meets with Ezekiel does show small signs of a soul, even when quarreling over one melon. 

Slaves? Slaves detest their work. Look at Dwight and his ironed face, watching his boss get to fuck his woman.

Simon clearly enjoys chewing scenery as Negan's right hand man. He's no slave, even if we never see any aspirations to replace his boss. 

On 4/2/2017 at 10:11 AM, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

I still watch the show, with all its flaws, but I would not try to introduce a newbie to it. 

How I felt while watching the latter seasons of Dexter, and how I feel now about watching Homeland

HIMYM is great if you pretend the final episode never happened

Dexter was great for 4 years then shit for 4 years with the worst finale of all time

Actually Dexter and HIMYM share credit for worst finale of all time, god how terrible those both utterly were

HIMYM will have that 90s multi-cam sitcom feel you were looking for to an extent (it is a 1-camera show though); It's quite Friends-esque with most situations resolving within the episode and lots of scenes of the gang hanging out at a bar.  But the final season and especially final episode does shit upon all the good will the creators had built up for 8 years prior.

My biggest problem with the show by far was the the main character, Ted, was very unlikable, and the worst character on the show.  Barney, Robin, Marshall, and Lilly were all way way better characters

Surely, LOST had the crappiest finale in the history of tv shows that aimed for a conclusion?

I saw the season finale of TWD today, and thought it was OK.

Spoiler

But not sure I'm up to yet another season of dealing with Neegan. I mean, I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a brilliant actor, perfect for this role -- but at this point, I'm starting to hate him more than that little prick king in GAME OF THRONES. Enough already -- let him suffer and die!

I loved the LOST finale (and I liked the BSG finale well enough, too).

For me, a crappy finale is something like True Blood or Weeds - shows that went on a season or two too long and became mediocre, and finales that followed that course instead of elevating it.

(The Office is a close one for me, but I think their last few episodes actually worked pretty well even with a down season)

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Surely, LOST had the crappiest finale in the history of tv shows that aimed for a conclusion?

No, absolutely not, not at all.  I hear people say that sometimes, but its almost entirely from people who didn't actually watch (all of) the show, OR who hate-watched it (watched it just so they could tell the world each week how much they don't like it).

It was actually a satisfying conclusion to the show if you watched and liked the show.

I watched the entire show, and liked it (well, not so much the last couple of seasons, but still...), but the big white light/purgatory idea at the end was one of the biggest cop-outs I've ever seen. But they didn't have much choice. They'd already written themselves into a corner several seasons before.

But there wasn't really a purgatory.  Everything that happened on the show through season 5, and all of season 6 except for the "flash-sideways" scenes, actually happened.  Well, "happened," since it's about people living on a magical technological monster island.

The flash-sideways world (seen in the last season and ending in the church) was a symbolic thing, about the characters being destined to be together, fates intertwined.  Nothing from earlier seasons informed that.  Whether you like it or don't like it is one thing - but that season 6 "sideways world" was entirely self-contained in season 6, and the intent of that story was planned out ahead of time.

I don't remember any details. I just remember being incredibly disappointed at the time -- all the unresolved plot lines etc. But also expected, in a way.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Sounds ghastly!

It depends on what you're looking for.

If you're more into the mystical weirdness of the first season, or want to see a satisfying conclusion to characters' stories, you'll probably like it.

If you're more in the sciencey mumbo jumbo of the second and third seasons, or care more about closing plotholes than closing character arcs, you might find yourself wanting. 

Although, a lot of the things people ended up called "plot holes" are questions that are easily answered through subtext and some logical leaps, just not made explicit through dialogue or plot.

I had the same worries with THE LEFTOVERS (which Lindelof also co-wrote/writes), but although it's all mystical from here to high heaven (literally), it's slightly more focussed. Let's see if they'll be able to resolve this one satisfactorily.

For all the characters and plotlines that THE WALKING DEAD has introduced over the last couple of seasons, I can at the very least see the light at the end of the tunnel (pun intended).

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I thought Lost was about a bunch of people stuck on a island?

Only for the first few seasons; They get off the island eventually.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

It could be regarded as homoerotic.

In a flagship show, that prized itself on "family values", a topless character, especially the lead, was a talking point. Nowadays, it doesn't give two hoots.

Wrong thread?

The finale of this season was hilarious. When they all started shooting at each other it was like The A-Team was suddenly back on the telly. It was a f***ing s**t episode, and so a perfect fit given the rest of this year's car crash of a season. Best to pretend it never happened. The Walking Dead went negative k/d so bad this year that it's probably going to take another whole season at least just to get its stats back to 1.0 again. 

Never liked Sasha anyway, though I'd have killed off more. 

:woop:

It was bad. Too much filler and people turning pacifist for half the season before deciding to fight. Too many characters and civilized factions. 

I swear the season finale had the fewest number of walkers of any episode: 1, and she did not start out as one.

I'm rewatching the series and it's sad how much it's declined. Season 3, 4 and 5 were pretty good. They've always managed to balance new ideas and the source material but season 6 and 7 were a bit too comic book-y.

They need to go hard on bringing back the gritty survival factor! But I can't imagine that working in this show anymore, not after what we now know about Rick and the umpteen other leaders around Washington who are still very much alive, and doing absolutely fine as it 'appens.  

So has the show gone from "society has crumbled" mode to "society is rebuilding" mode?

Is it realistic that they wouldn't have managed to kill all the walkers left on earth by this point in time?  Or do the characters not age in real time, like does a season only cover a month in their lives instead of a year?

The endless supply of zombies, or 'herds' does make me laugh at this stage. It feels like there's more zombies than there were people in the US to begin with. Maybe they were illegal immigrants? Yes, that's obviously it. 

16 hours ago, Jay said:

What do @Blumenkohl and @I Need About Tree Fiddy think about the season?

This is a show I have not watched in years. Ironic, I started the thread. First season was the best season.