tenaira

Academics join your ranks again!

Dear John Williams Fan community,

hello again - my profile was unfortunately mistakenly deleted in the fight against spam-bots (this sounds so futuristic!) so I get the delight of re-introducing myself again.

I am a PhD candidate working on film music :znaika: and am very lucky to be able to merge my hobby and my work. While we are quite a few out there, I miss discussing the intricacies of the craft with people who share my interests, especially true fans who often know more than researchers do!

Thank you for taking me within your ranks, I look forward to discussing with you all!

Hello tenaira. Great to meet a fellow film music academic! I delivered my film music-themed thesis way back in 2004, and after that I worked for a while as an assistant professor at the institute. I miss those days. Not only for the research, but for the great PARTIES! :)

May I ask what college or university you're attending? (if you don't want to say, then maybe the general area).

Thank you for the renewed welcome, and for the excellent avatar suggestion! I added the first thing I found under 50kb.. evidently it had to be something related to film! I have been practicing musing since my youth, but I come to film music from the cinematic side, I'm more on the film and media side.

I'll probably mention my university in a but bit, if you don't mind I'll keep the suspense for now or rather the soothing pleasure of not being associated to an institution!

Thor, did you write your thesis from a musicological or filmic perspective? I would love to hear about it.

More filmic than musicological, maybe, but really neither. Here's the abstract that I wrote at the time (the only thing in English):

"The majority of academic literature on film music is currently situated within a narratological perspective, especially related to the (neo-)classical Hollywood film. This thesis aims to offer an alternative approach, wherein – rather than narrative integrity – the relatively autonomous enjoyment of various forms of audio- or musicovisual experience is explored, although still within a neo-classical paradigm. Emotions, mood and symbolism represent three such forms of audiovisual experience that range from the irrational to the rational. The thesis analyzes the musical construction of these pleasures in the filmic expression by drawing from a number of disciplines: philosophy, musicology, psychology and semiology. The neo-classical films E.T.– The Extraterrestrial, Blade Runner and Edward Scissorhands constitute the main analyses of this dissertation, based on a discussion of emotions, mood and symbolism, respectively."

No problem with the university mention. In your own time. :)