R.I.P. Wojciech Kilar (1932-2013)

Neimoidian

Great shame. He composed the best score for a Dracula film (along with James Bernard).

I said "the best", but I didn't say "my favourite"...

The Bernard i find mediocre and Kilar too is no match for the Williams version, in this case. It was a "new" sound for Hollywood movies in 1992, that much i'll admit.

In the film it works wonders but I have to say on CD I prefer most other Kilar scores I've heard. The Ninth Gate for example, roughly fitting the genre and overall mood.

The Ninth Gate is a well-rounded score that balances the dark and the ethereal. The superior to Dracula in my opinion.

I have said this again:

Kilar's Dracula is the FIRST soundtrack album I ever listened to ( when I was 12-13).

Until then I didn't know that the music of films is released isolated in albums and I saw written on the film's poster in the newspaper :"the music of the film is released by this company etc.", so I got it without having seen yet the film (since I was intrigued by the trailers and publicity over it). (actually I went to my local record shop and they copied the LP to an audio cassette for me since I didn't have a record player, or a cd player)

I was instantly hooked with this sublime music, and after that I started collecting soundtracks so it's especially sad to hear this news.

He did a wonderfully ethereal motto piece for that movie.

Curiously that theme doesn't appear in the movie proper at all. But it is a chilling yet alluring piece that works as a brilliant bookend on the album.

By the way how widely Kilar's film output is available even in his home country? Is he a regular on CD shelves in stores or are his albums a rarity?

• 11 months later...

One year later.

http://youtu.be/oDcxDNHFslw

I also wrote an article about him almost a year ago. (Sorry about shameless self-promotion again but most of what's in it consists of his own quotes so it's worth checking out).

Karol

Here's the superficial Williams-connection, Kilar's EXODUS, a concert piece that became the trailer music for SCHINDLER'S LIST.

...and then became Williams' own Schindler's Workforce.

Hush Marian! We do not speak of such things here. Embarrassing. Better just sweep such things under the rug.

• 3 years later...